• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Woo Hooo! Up-date on my EFI kit installation!

Bret

Yoda
Woo Hooo! Update on my EFI kit installation!

Ok the good news is most everything else is pretty much done. But the EFI kit is giving us some grief.

The good news is that the O/D tranny works great and all the other bits like the thrust washers, U-joints have been taken care of. But I don't think I like the OEM style O/D switch on the shifter knob. Seems taller than my old wood grain knob that matched my steering wheel. I guess I'll have to look into other options after everything else is done. Perhaps a push button under "pop open" cover like 007 had on the DB5 in Gold Finger. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The biggest dilemma at the moment is the EFI control unit (ECU) isn’t functioning as it should. Car started fine but would start to sputter then stop after a couple of minutes.

Troubleshooting the ECU seems to be sending out all of the required signals (fuel pump etc) but the signal to the injector seems to trail off and die. This can be traced back to the ECU black box. My mechanic & I have been burning up the phone lines with Moss’s tech support and after having my mechanic try a couple of things, they’ve agreed to send out a new ECU.

This is the last hurtle and hopefully the new ECU will arrive today and we can get my car back on the road.

Wish me luck.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Re: Update on my EFI kit up-date & O/D Tranny install.

Also, one of the things they tried to have us check was to see if the Pertronix electronics hall-effect might have been causing a problem.

But even though we doubted this - my friend Robert (Bob) the mechanic put in the old points dizzy out of his car and it did the same thing.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

wow... and it's advertised as a shade tree mechanic installable kit?

erm... then again, you're engine isn't exactly "stock" on the inside either... hmmmm...

hopefully, it's like you guys think and the computer is just being flaky on ya.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Yea everything else seems to be working as it should and I doubt anything else already existing in the car is related to this issue. Besides I trust Bob analyses of the problem as he's done a couple of the Moss EFI kits so far with wonderful results. Turned over first time in each case.

Talking to the Moss guys - apparently they're stumped and have never seen this problem before. Just my luck of course! But to their credit are willing to work with us to resolve this issue. We’ve agreed to send the old ECU back for their engineers to evaluate as soon as the new one arrives.

That said I’m going to look into another source for the same ECU just incase Moss decides to drop the product a few years down the road. I believe I found a source and will investigate that when this is all resolved.

Ya see the Moss ECU is a black box and as such to retain it's CARB cert ("smog legal") it can't be accessed to change any of the mapping. Perhaps a mega squirt or some other brand could be adapted to the Moss kit. That’d allow me to “fiddle” with the ECU’s mapping to take advantage of some of the other modifications I’ve got in mind. Worst case I’d just keep the Moss ECU in storage for those times I have to have a smog test.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Just talked to Bob and he just swapped in the replacement for the flaky ECU. That did the trick - it started up just fine and ran like a fine watch.

Sadly I won't be able to take it out for a test run until tomorrow afternoon when I get back from LA. Adjusting the lifters it's obvious that a couple of lobes are pretty worn out. But according to Bob bout the only thing he'd do after all this - is to put in a fast street cam as the old one is a little long in the tooth.

Other than that I'm pretty excited about picking it up tomorrow.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

sweet! do spill the beans when you get a chance to properly evaluate the differences /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif