• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ok, I've started back on the EType!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Now that I have the Spitfire back on the road, I have started back on the EType! Its been a while since I've done anything with it, but now am really starting to make some progress getting the Rear Suspension/IRS, back together. I'll try to post pics in my restoration page as I go!

Of course member "Koolcat" doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to drive to Phoenix with a brain vaccuum and vaccuum all his knowledge from his restoration right out of his head
rolleyes.gif

Basil

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Hey, BASIL, are you 01silverls on the Miata Forum?? If so, ya got a real sports car, eh?
I've got a '58 TR3A which is fun, but my
super-charged '92 Miata is my daily driver and light years ahead of any brit sports cars that were sold in the USA. It'd be nice if they would start importing th Morgans, TVR's Lotuses, MG's etc. here again, because I think there is now a market for these type of cars, which, was started with the introduction of the Miata in order to fill the gap that the departing Brits left.
cheers.gif

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"...but my
super-charged '92 Miata is my daily driver and light years ahead of any brit sports cars that were sold in the USA. ..."

I read in a recent issue of Austin-Healey Magazine or Healey Marque that a couple of vintige racing Sprites were invited to a Miata Club track event. Seems the Sprites were lapping faster than the supercharged Miatas. Interesting
wink.gif

cheers.gif

John

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by martx-5:
Hey, BASIL, are you 01silverls on the Miata Forum?? If so, ya got a real sports car, eh?
I've got a '58 TR3A which is fun, but my
super-charged '92 Miata is my daily driver and light years ahead of any brit sports cars that were sold in the USA. It'd be nice if they would start importing th Morgans, TVR's Lotuses, MG's etc. here again, because I think there is now a market for these type of cars, which, was started with the introduction of the Miata in order to fill the gap that the departing Brits left.
cheers.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Yep, that would be me and yes, we indeed have a 01 Silver LS (Hence the name, clever, eh?
grin.gif
) But to be honest, the Miata is my wife's toy that I get to drive sometimes. ( I just emailed you a picture of my daily driver.) But no matter what cars I own in my life, British cars will always be my first love. I can't explaint it - it sure isn't the reliability that appeals, but its something intangible.

Got any pics of your TR3?
Basil

tcherek

Hi-
Regarding importing of Morgans, Isis Imports has been doing so since 1968. Unfortunately, you live in one of the five "California states," in which certification of Morgans has been on hold ever since the task of dealing with emissions laws has been taken over from Isis by others in 1998. However, two 2002 Morgans are being imported to our garage this month, and even with the anxiously awaited EPA approval, this past month has seen a significant increase in Morgan sales in the U.S. Check out the upcoming British Car Magazine for a story on these cars (my favorites.)--Tcherek

(Tcherek, I edited your post to make "Isis Imports" a link to your site - Basil
grin.gif
)

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

koolkat

Hey Basil, come on down to PHX and I'll give you a ride in KoolKat and let the wind blow through your hair around some of the greatest E Type roads around, nothing but fun, and even more so that I've got new P6000s tyres, 215x65x15s.
Mike & KoolKat

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Turney:
"

I read in a recent issue of Austin-Healey Magazine or Healey Marque that a couple of vintige racing Sprites ...

cheers.gif

John
<hr></blockquote>

I have one question, were the Miatas race prepared?

wink.gif
cheers.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John Turney:
"I have one question, were the Miatas race prepared?"

Since it didn't say, one can assume probably not.

wink.gif
<hr></blockquote>

John, FYI, when you want to quote someone's post, you can use the " " in the header of their post. This will put their post in your edit window, but surrounded by [ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ] tags. Then you start your message past the end quote tag. Here's more info on cool things you can do using UBB code tages:
UBB Code

Scoll down about half way to read about quoting.

Basil
jester.gif

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

koolkat

Just back from an afternoon drive around town with my ' 68 E OTS & new P6000s, 215x65x15 and what a difference they make, smoother ride and better handling. 98*F and good cooling with the temperture gauge reading about 68*C while driving.
Just having fun in the sun.
Mike & KoolKat

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by koolkat:
Just back from an afternoon drive around town with my ' 68 E OTS & new P6000s, 215x65x15 and what a difference they make, smoother ride and better handling. 98*F and good cooling with the temperture gauge reading about 68*C while driving.
Just having fun in the sun.
Mike & KoolKat
<hr></blockquote>

That's right, go ahead - rub it in!
savewave.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Today I inspected my Diff (it looks great), painted it, and got the diff bolted to the IRS cage. The hardest part was getting the Diff cover nice and smooth for painting. It had some surface rust, which caused some pitting when I removed it (using Navel Jelly and a wire brush). So I had to use some body putty to fill in the pits and lots of time priming and wet sanding. Here are some pics of todays activities:

Differential Before (With only some cleaning done)

Inside the Diff it looked great! No need to rebuild.

Newly painted Diff and cover sitting in the IRS cage

View from the other side.

The Diff had been Orange originally and this came pretty close to what was there. In the last two pics you can also see a bit of my Spitfire in the background
grin.gif

I have also updated my Restoration Page

Jeff

Freshman Member
Basil,

Took delivery of the 68 OTS I bought in Florida. Had it shipped to Tucson and arrived the 4th. On your way to Phoenix, stop by Tucson and take a look.

Also got my 85 XJS in Farmington running. Fuel after years of storage siezed my fuel pump but managed to free it up. Going to haul it home next month.

Jaguars can be very adictive!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Update 20 Sep 02 -
Well, I went to reinstall the lower control arms and discovered that I had lost the rather large special washers that hold the roller bearings and seals into the control arms. New ones were very expensive (like $10 each, and I need 8 of them), so since they are not a critical-tolorance piece, I just bought some used ones (they were still expensive, but half what the new ones cost). I know the purests would think this a terrible thing to do, but for this particular part, I didn't see the point in buying new ones.

Basil

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Basil, Please tell me that that plastic American made thing in the background of your before pictures belongs to a friend "who just stopped by for moral support".

All sportscars are fun...but Brits are "more gooder" fun.
Cheers, Steven
PS
My driveway and garage are all Brit...but not always running...76MGB, 79MGB, 80MGB, 76MG Midget, 96Jag XJ6 VP, 59 Nash Metro. Hidden in another garage...71VW, 76VW Van.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StevenA:
Basil, Please tell me that that plastic American made thing in the background of your before pictures belongs to a friend "who just stopped by for moral support".<snip><hr></blockquote>

yesnod.gif
nonod.gif
patriot.gif

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

bbbbailey

Freshman Member
Basil the Good:

If you need E type Fixed Head Coupe morale reconstruction support, to know that it will finally be done,...lurk at classicjaguar.com..
CJ Workshops..1962 E type FHC (BB)

They are about to conclude my fourteen month reconstruction, with some mods, and I'll drive
her home.
It's been a text book reconstruction, with added chapters thanks to Dan Mooney and Team CJ.
-Bob

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Hi Basil,

I wanted to thank you for your project updates..

Very interesting!

JB