• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car suddenly started running poorly

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The car is a 63 Midget with stock 10CG engine except for electric fuel pump..
We were out a few days ago with the Midget. It ran great all day while running around (about 75 miles total). Just a couple of miles from home it suddenly started bogging and making that fuel starved backfiring as if it were running very lean. Barely had the power to keep itself going. I got it home, but it was running very poorly. Idling badly and if you try to give it gas, it shudders and makes that "lean" backfiring. Pull the choke out and it runs better for a while before it bogs. Points, plugs, cap, coil have about 1000 miles on them. I did a little trouble shooting and found that the clear fuel filter under the hood was almost empty.. Ah, says I, it must be the inline filter in the back, between the tank and the pump then.. I changed that out..... no difference. Well, then it must be that old cheap dimestore fuel pump that has been on the car forever. I went to town and bought a Facet pump, put it on....... no difference... I figured I'd ask and see if anyone has any ideas or has run across a sudden thing like this before...

Check the floats and bowls for sediment?

R&R the condenser?

m

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sounds like gas. I might get some gas line water remover and throw that in before anything - just to make sure it isn't the fuel itself.

then take it a section at a time.

1. disconnect at carb and run pump to check for flow. If no, or diminished flow, check a section at a time till you are back to the tank. (also run without filter to see if that makes a difference)

2. If flow is fine, time to clean the carb.

there is also a chance it is air - Listening to your description, I had a similar problem and found the manifold nuts had worked loose. The way you can check that is to cover the air intake some as the car is running and see if it improves.

While you are doing easy checks, take a look at the plugs just to confirm they are a good color and not compromised.

let us know

G

I love the simpliciy of points, but hate them because sometimes they'll act like a carb problem. Did you check your contact condition. I'm more likely to say fuel, but check the points just in case.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Intake leaks can cause similar symptoms.
You can spray a LITTLE bit of starter fluid at the
mated parts and an idle rise will tell you it's
sucking outside air. A LITTLE spray. That stuff is
VERY flammable.
This is how I check the seal when installing headers or new carbs etc.
It doesn't take much of an intake leak to cause major running problems.
A vacuum gauge will usually show fluctuation at idle when
there is a leak.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would first expect that one of the carbs is not getting fuel. Check the float bowls first to see that they are both full otherwise you have a stuck float valve.

bugimike

Yoda
I agree with Jack. Check the float bowls first. Sounds like sticky needle valve(s) to me!

OP
scoutll

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The problem was the front float valve. The chamber was empty. I cleaned it and freed it up and everything worked fine. In the meantime, I discovered that both of the carb floats leak. They have about 1/4 inch of gasoline inside them. Needless to say, they will not work properly that way. Is there an effective way to fix them, or does anyone have some extras they want to sell? These are the plastic type for the AUD73 carbs.

G

Excessive altitude !!!! You live too high up. Don't worry, I've got an easy fix. In about two days, a guy with an enclosed trailer will show up. Simply give him your keys and the problem will be solved. Just come on down whenever you feel like going for a drive. I'll keep 'er loosened up and aired out for ya in the mean time. :driving: I'll need a couple of day to install a door wide enough to fit the car in my house. I wouldn't want to store it outside.

No need to thank me. I don't mind helpin' a fella out. :jester:
grin.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
scoutll said:
The problem was the front float valve. The chamber was empty. I cleaned it and freed it up and everything worked fine. In the meantime, I discovered that both of the carb floats leak. They have about 1/4 inch of gasoline inside them. Needless to say, they will not work properly that way. Is there an effective way to fix them, or does anyone have some extras they want to sell? These are the plastic type for the AUD73 carbs.

I suspect Joe Curto would be your best source for new floats.

https://www.joecurto.com/

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree, I would call Joe.

OP
scoutll

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
kellysguy said:
I still think he needs to send me the car...

I asked Miss Chuff an she said she don't want to go down there. Too many Moccithons or Pythcissins or other such snakes :eeek:. Unfortunately, she has all the standard misconceptions most northern cars have about the south. Hurricados, Himacanes, big spiders, snakes, lizard type things, flamin ants, killer bees..... MONSTER TRUCKS!!!
:shocked: I had to take the TV out of the shop. She saw that Billy the exterminator dude the other day. Heck, just one gander at his mullet and she near emptied her rear differential all over the floor... :cry:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
She's safe where she is, fer sure. An "added" benefit is that you are geographically situated to take advantage of an extended 'Annual Winter Tear-down' season to do the things we seem never to get to "down here." Endless summer has a downside.

:smirk:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Endless summer for the win. No excuse for things not getting done Doc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

I was ~trying~ to be supportive to Bryan, Jack. :smirk: :jester:

OP
scoutll

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doc, I was actually beginning to believe the extended winter propaganda line you were feeding me.... Then Jack had to pipe in. Believe me, I would move farther south, it's just Miss Chuff who's afraid of monster trucks and Billy the Exterminator.... :thumbsup:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh, bother.

Well.... how's this, then: Come to th' Dar.... err... <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gulf</span></span> Side. We have nice breezes, endless summer, nice two lane roads inland, it's visitor friendly in the main. Only downside is an occasional oil slick, them pesky fiberglass eating termites and a few mosquitoes large enuff to carry you home and drain ya at their leisure. Nothin' to be concern'd about that a bit of plannin' can't overcome.

...but I do feel obliged to at least <span style="font-style: italic">mention</span> the sodium enhanced rust mites...

:devilgrin: There. That oughta help. :smirk: