• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite Illustration Started

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I started this thread (barely) over in the Austin Healey forum and it was suggested that I ought move it over here. If you own one of the big Healeys, you may have seen my work. If not and this is your first look, I illustrate British cars and have recently completed my series on the 100-2, 100-6, and 3000s. You can hit the link at the end of this post to check out those and many more.

One of the more frequent questions I'm asked is "How do you do that?" While it probably isn't practical to try and cram 40 or so years of learning into a post, I thought it might kind of fun for you to follow along while I develop the illustration. The only caveat is to keep in mind that this is a work in progress which means everything and anything is subject to changes, revisions, and edits until I get the final drawing. When it's all said and done, I'll have the frog eye, the Spridgets, one of the Sebring cars and one of the WSM cars available.

Lastly, and certainly not least, while I build and work on my own cars and can claim to have owned and driven a bug eye, I'm utterly dependent on the collective knowledge of the group to get things right. So, if you have a question or see something that doesn't look quite the way it should, please, chime in. Many hands make light work.

So, without further delay:

Frame 1—The cyan outlines are Gerry's original lines for the Sprite, including the pop-up headlamp. The magenta outline is the profile as the car was eventually produced. This was the first time I have overlain the two profiles and it was interesting to see the differences between the two—some significant, others not so much. The big one, at least for me, is the original idea of the sloped nose. Would have made a great looking car.
attachment.php

Frame 2—Here I've penned in the wheels (both left and right sides) as well as the differential, drive shaft, suspension bits and rear brakes. I also added the turn lamps and tail lamp to help give me some reference points for other parts to come later. These are only roughly positioned for now and will likely be nudged here and there as the illustration progresses. I also decided to pick up on some of the period advertising for the background.
attachment.php

Frame 3
—I've roughed in the basic parts of the monocoque and have added a few small bits (regulator, fuse black, signal flashers, etc.) to help give a sense of scale for things. I also added the front bumper, fuel cap, steering wheel and hub caps. Each new piece that gets added, means having to go back and adjust the opacity of the previous items to achieve a good transparent appearance. Each time I add something to the illustration, I delete the magenta guides to help reduce the visual clutter while I work.
attachment.php

Frame 4—Lots of adjustments plus I decided on leaf green for the initial color )although all of my illustrations are always available in your choice of the factory exterior and interior colors). In this frame, I've adjusted the chassis panels to correspondence more correctly to the profile as well as scaled several of the items previously drawn. The blower motor, wiper motor, battery, headlamp, spare, exhaust, and a few other small things have also been added. WARNING—GEEK CONTENT AHEAD! One of the conundrums of this style of cutaway is that something always seems to obscure a bit of interesting detail and it can be a real challenge to come up with clever ways to try and show as much as possible. Case in point is the wiper motor, most of which is hidden by the blower motor. To make the wiper "visible" I created two identical layers and sandwiched the blower between them. Then by lowering the opacity of the upper most wiper layer, I get the effect of being able to see through the blower (which is actually completely opaque).

As I may have previously mentioned, having been the ad game for most of my career, I'm really fond of period advertising. The Sprite ads from the 60s are particularly fun and I thought it would be interesting to bring in a few more elements to see what they might look like. I'm pretty sold on the text line above the illustration but the jury is still out (at least for me) on the color blocks. They'll stay for now but might be gone when I get to the final.
attachment.php

I'm not going to make any wild promises about how often or quickly I'm going to add to this thread but will try and be as reasonably regular as the work will allow.

If you're no familiar with my work and would like to check things out, visit Sports Car Art. If you're interesting in getting on the notification for this illustration, there's a short sign-up form under the Resources tab.

Hope you enjoy watching the Sprite come together as much as I enjoy drawing it.

Attachments

• AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-1.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 231
  • AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-2.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 226
  • AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-3.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 225
  • AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-4.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 231

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
This is so cool! Great job. Thanks for posting.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Frame-5—Tonight's installment includes the gearbox, clutch, left inside door, seats, and a few other bits and pieces. I still need to pencil in the clutch fork and hydraulic line but, in the main, the gearbox is complete. Tomorrow I'm moving on to the engine and, with any luck, the cooling system. Friday will about the front suspension and the remainder of the boot area 9Including the fuel tank). I haven't really set the opacity of the various gearbox layers and won't get to the fine tuning until I have the right door drawn in (I need it to let me know how opaque things to be).

As I've added new work, I've removed the magenta guides and have also deleted the outline of Gerry's original profile (for now). I also changed the color to Speedwell Blue just to see what it would look like. To my eye, it looks very similar to Healey Blue without the metallic. Enjoy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-5.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-5.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 186
OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Frame 6—In tonight's episode I turn into "Sheet Metal Man"! I started this morning with the best of intentions to finish up the engine and drop it it but then I got going on filling in the left side sheet metal and one thing led to another. Before you know it, I was on to the front suspension and all of the sheet metal parts under the bonnet and wings. I also adjusted the interior door pocket (too tall), the rear wheel arch curve, added the rear body lines and made a number of other subtle, But important, changes. All in all, I'm happy with the way it's turning out. Still not sold on the color blocks (they were part of the original advert) but think they work better with the reflection.

That's it for tonight. I'm packing it in. It's starting to look more like a Sprite. Tomorrow, I have to get ready for an art show over the weekend so I'm only going to be putting in a half day and think I'm going to concentrate on completing the back end sheet metal (rear shelf, boot shelf, rear bulkhead, etc.) and scrub a few more details.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-6.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-6.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 166
OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Frame 7—Where to start? First, I penned in all of the remaining interior sheet metal then added the right side body panels, windscreen, fuel tank, dash, and made numerous corrections and adjustments throughout. I've also completed the heater/blower unit, added the various snap studs. and rebalanced a bunch of the transparency layers. I turned the background gradient off to see what things would look like without it and I'm beginning to warm to the color blocks. They still might not be there when I'm finished but I'm liking them better than before.

Tomorrow, I'm on to the engine and cooling system then will finish up the last of the details on Thursday, then it's off to the technical editor while I get going on the Spridget version.

attachment.php

nomad

Yoda
David, I'm curious, I assume you have made your living as a technical illustrator. I have a engineering and drafting degree but have mainly farmed most of my life. The stuff you do is astounding!

Kurt.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
David, I'm curious, I assume you have made your living as a technical illustrator. I have a engineering and drafting degree but have mainly farmed most of my life. The stuff you do is astounding!

Kurt.

Kurt,

Way back when markers and pens were still in vogue, I did indeed start out as an illustrator. That gradually morphed into a career in design and advertising with infrequent but steady illustration assignments throughout the years. When I retired from the ad biz, I returned to my illustration full-time and now get to practice two of my passions—illustration and cars—together.

Glad you enjoy the drawings.

DCTownsend

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
David,

Very nice illustration! As they say, it's awesome! Thanks for sharing the evolution of the project, and all that! Great talent!

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Frame 8—Well, I didn't quite get the engine completed (the one in the illustration is just a placeholder) but I did manage to complete the front suspension, add hard top, front disc brake and wire wheel options, finish up the brake master cylinder, junction block and run the brake lines, and complete the pedal box, bonnet hinge and a few other bits and bobs. Left to do is tidy up the correct engine and drop it in plus pen in the horn, tach drive, steering column support, dip switch and touch up a few other details.

I also monkeyed with the background again—this time inverting and lightening the gradient as well as lowering the opacity on the color blocks. Each time, it gets a little better. Tomorrow morning is "engine day" when I'll be dropping in the power plant, hooking up the heater hoses, running the accelerator cable, etc. It's getting very close to being complete.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-8.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-frame-8.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 144

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Great pics. Would love to see a line drawing comparison of the Bugeye to the Square Sprite. Not that I'm making any requests... :p

Country flag
What would be cool ... if there was some sort of application that would protect your work but let people adjust the transparency and colors.

On a side note .. I'm not too sure about the path of that heater air inlet tube.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What would be cool ... if there was some sort of application that would protect your work but let people adjust the transparency and colors.

On a side note .. I'm not too sure about the path of that heater air inlet tube.

Re: inlet tube path. I have several shots of the tube on different cars. No two are the same. I'm open to anything that would give me a clear view so I can either verify or correct what I have.

Country flag
The path looks like it is in the same plane and cutting through the inner wing. They are all a bit different, but I do not think the original had turns quite that tight.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here are the first three completed illustrations—each featuring different available options. Order form should be ready by the morning. In the meantime, I'm off to work on the MKIII Spridget.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Leaf-Green.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Leaf-Green.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 120
  • AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Cherry-Red.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Cherry-Red.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 125
  • AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Speedwell-Blue.jpg
    AH-Frogeye-Sprite-Speedwell-Blue.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 122
OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Order form is up and working. https://www.sportscarart.com/product/austin-healey-frogeye-sprite/

In addition to choosing from among the factory exterior and interior colors, you can select from a number of factory and period options including hard top, soft top, wire wheels, Minilite wheels, front disc brakes, Lucas spot lamp, several different models of wing mirrors, white walls, and few other bits so you can customize your print. For those not familiar with my illustrations, these are printed on acid-free archival quality paper using pigmented inks, are numbered and signed and include a Certificate of Authenticity.

I encourage anyone who wants to order to take advantage of the image upload area of the order form and send a few pics of your car. They always help get the details just right.

Thanks to those who commented both on and off line about my work. Your observations helped correct a number of details.

Cheers,

DCTownsend

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sent the wife a link with a suggestion for Christmas...

However, I only see a few exterior colors available, and no option to select interior colors.

Are these details obtained from the file upload pictures?

Fred

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Sent the wife a link with a suggestion for Christmas...

However, I only see a few exterior colors available, and no option to select interior colors.

Are these details obtained from the file upload pictures?

Fred
Fred,

The interior colors are listed with the exterior colors in the factory combinations i.e., Leaf Green w/green interior (green piping, Speedwell Blue with blue interior (white piping). If your color is not among those listed, you can add the information in the Special Instructions box. Same goes for any accessories you may have that I've not listed—let me know in the Special Instructions box.

Uploading pictures is always a plus as I frequently pick up small (but important) details that help me get the art just the you would like it.

Regards,

DCTownsend

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check the site, the link above to the frog eye does not include the drop down selector for body/int colors (as, for example, I see on the TR6)

Fred