• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100M Illustration Started

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Now that 100S illustrations are starting to come back from the printer (and starting to mail out tomorrow), I'm getting going on the 100M version.

When I started the 100S, I promised I would post up with regular progress reports and, quite frankly, I didn't do a very good job of it, frequently getting caught up in the intensity of the work and just plain forgetting to post. I'm promising to a better job on the 100M so those who wish, can follow along and learn a bit about what goes into each one of my illustrations.

I've posted the first four slides on my FaceBook page—https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plan-B-Illustration/1374993642782362?hc_location=timeline—and ask your indulgence in visiting and commenting there so I can don't have to post everything twice.

Cheers,

DCTownsend

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I started yesterday by setting the wheel base and then adding the frame, left seat, pedal assembly, and steering column so I could set the driver's position. In today's installment, I:

• Decided on a red over black car so I changed the frame to black, the wheels to silver, and the seat to red then added the frame outriggers.
• Added the left side frame rail, the left side brake drums, and the left side bulkhead sheet metal
• Next came the tunnel sheet metal, the spare, the steering box, and the column brace (including the bracket and bulkhead pass through)
• With the bulkhead in position I finished up the left side wheel well and added the front suspension including the rest of the steering bits and front sway bar
• After finishing up the brake master cylinder, hydraulic fluid can, and the radiator, I called it a day.

You can check the progress here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...1073741833.1374993642782362&type=3&uploaded=9

Keep in mind, that this illustration is based on the recently completed 100S so you're seeing a very compressed time frame. If I started from scratch, this would be about 40 hours or so of work. And, lest you think this is going to be easy, remember that the 100S had no heater, wipers, sliding windscreen, interior appointments, or other niceties that are going to take quite some time to add in. Not to mention the overdrive unit I have yet to draw.

There's still plenty to do before it starts looking like a Healey.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
You do fabulous work.

One nitpick: if by "red over black" you mean that most of the car will be red (Reno Red, I hope) and the "insets" (sides) will be black, you should change the frame color to red. Red interior is correct, by the way. If I recall the production records correctly, all but one of the Reno Red/black BN2s had red (not black) interiors.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You do fabulous work.

One nitpick: if by "red over black" you mean that most of the car will be red (Reno Red, I hope) and the "insets" (sides) will be black, you should change the frame color to red. Red interior is correct, by the way. If I recall the production records correctly, all but one of the Reno Red/black BN2s had red (not black) interiors.

I'd say that's a bit more than a 'nit' but easily corrected at this point. The more I learn about these cars it seems the less I know. Thanks and I hope you'll keep checking my progress and keep me on a straight path.

Country flag
Just curious: why red/black? It's my understanding--Reid will pounce if I'm wrong :wink-new:--that the vast majority of 100Ms were Olde English White/black; why not choose a more representative color scheme? Also, I think white would show better in your semi-transparent 'layout'--not the correct word, but all I know--as it did for the 100S.

Full disclosure: my 100M is white/black (we used Ford Wimbledon White, which is a good approximation of OEW).

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just curious: why red/black? It's my understanding--Reid will pounce if I'm wrong :wink-new:--that the vast majority of 100Ms where (probably Wimbledon)white/black; why not chose a more representative color scheme? Also, I think white would show better in your semi-transparent 'layout'--not the correct word, but all I know--as it did for the 100S.

Bob,

To answer you questions about "why red/black?", the simple truth is, after 2 months of looking at a blue and white car, I wanted to see something different. Given the, unlike the 100S illustration, the 100M will be available in the factory colors, I thought I'd choose a color scheme that was a bit out of the ordinary. As far as white "showing better", there's some truth to that but any of the colors at opposites end of the spectrum present challenges.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You do fabulous work.

Just changed the frame and bulkhead sheet metal to red. Wow! Love it! Really shows off the other parts and pieces that were getting lost in the black. Have to get on some other work right now but I'll post up again this evening with the change + quite a few of the other mechanicals. Thanks for the tip.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
David,

If you weren't already aware of it i'd just like to mention that the 100S was different from the 100M is a great many ways. It really was a special race car, whereas the 100M is basically a 100BN2 with some modifications. One difference you will note is that the exhaust exits on the right hand side of the car, the 100S was the only Austin Healey that featured that, the 100M exhaust exits on the left of the car.

I noticed in one of the 100S illustrations that the wheels only have 42 spokes. I don't know if that was the final version or not. The minimum number is 48 but the 100S may have had 60 spokes as standard. Others will be able to confirm or not.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
It's my understanding--Reid will pounce if I'm wrong :wink-new:--that the vast majority of 100Ms were Olde English White/black ...

That's correct that there were more white/black (with black interior) 100Ms than any other two-tone color combo. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I don't recall it being a "vast" majority; more like a plurality.

In any case, Healey Blue/white is the color they used in much of the publicity for the 100M and is widely accepted as the quintessential 100M color scheme.

Mine was originally a white/black car, but I considered that combo kind of boring (distinguished, classy and not-too-loud, I grant you, but these are sports cars - they're supposed to be a bit flashy) and so I went with Reno Red/black as it was correct for the model and period (down to the week it was made) and more dramatic. By the way, I made that decision about 1990, which was before three out of every four 100Ms started showing up in that combination!

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
David,

If you weren't already aware of it i'd just like to mention that the 100S was different from the 100M is a great many ways. It really was a special race car, whereas the 100M is basically a 100BN2 with some modifications. One difference you will note is that the exhaust exits on the right hand side of the car, the 100S was the only Austin Healey that featured that, the 100M exhaust exits on the left of the car.

I noticed in one of the 100S illustrations that the wheels only have 42 spokes. I don't know if that was the final version or not. The minimum number is 48 but the 100S may have had 60 spokes as standard. Others will be able to confirm or not.

I'm aware of many of the differences and am confident that folks won't be shy about correcting any things that I get wrong. Regarding the wheel spoke count, sharp eye. It was corrected before the 100S illustrations went to print.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That's correct that there were more white/black (with black interior) 100Ms than any other two-tone color combo. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I don't recall it being a "vast" majority; more like a plurality.

In any case, Healey Blue/white is the color they used in much of the publicity for the 100M and is widely accepted as the quintessential 100M color scheme.

Mine was originally a white/black car, but I considered that combo kind of boring (distinguished, classy and not-too-loud, I grant you, but these are sports cars - they're supposed to be a bit flashy) and so I went with Reno Red/black as it was correct for the model and period (down to the week it was made) and more dramatic. By the way, I made that decision about 1990, which was before three out of every four 100Ms started showing up in that combination!

The finished work will be available in any of the factory color schemes along with a variety of options including Brooklands "Speed" screens, Dunlop wheels, SLR 700 "Flamethrower" or SLR 576 lamps, Raydyot or bullet style mirrors, and a number of other goodies that can be added to personalize each print.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying working on something that isn't blue and white...

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here's the latest progress + a teaser image.

• I started by changing the frame to red (per Reid's suggestion), correct for a Reno Red over black 100M, then completed the left side sheet metal, fuel tank sender, and tank straps
• With the left side sheet metal in place, I could position the head and tail lamps as well as pencil in the right side sheet metal
• Next up were the motor and gearbox, less the overdrive until (which I still need to draw). Before anyone gets in uproar over the spark plug boots, I had then from another car I drew and just wanted to see what they looked like (correct or not).
• I added a preliminary version of the exhaust (no hangers) just to see how it fit.
• Then came the front and rear drum brakes and the right side wheels and tires.
• Lastly, I added a number of detail items including the heater (still not positive about the location), wiper boxes and motor, headlamp bucket, grill, dash, handbrake, and so much other stuff, I've forgotten all of what I penned.

It's been a busy two days. Tomorrow will be the right side body, swage line, side spear, bonnet, bonnet louvres, cowl, and a few other items that make a 100M a 100M. So, stay tuned...more to come. The rest of the slides from today's installment can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plan-B-Illustration/1374993642782362

AH-100M-V3.jpg

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here's where I'm at the end of today. I'll post progress picks over on FaceBook tomorrow but, right now, it's time to shut it down for the night. Black seat, plug boots, Raydyot mirror, Lucas Flamethrowers are temporary. I was just fooling around a bit.

There's still plenty to do—o/d unit, lots of detail bits, heater mounting, deforester hoses, etc., and. I'm sure, a number of corrections, but I'm happy with here things are at.

AH-100M-V2.jpg

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Derek,
The 100S had 48 spoke wheels. I think only the 3000 Mark III had 60 spoke wheels as standard equipment.
Alwyn.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just posted the progress images over on Face Book so you can see how I made it from the frame, major mechanicals, and interior sheet metal to something looking more like a proper Healey. One of the major pieces of work was to start the process of balancing the numerous transparency layers. The work was made difficult because it was just a sea of red so I temporarily changed the seat s and interior panels to black in order to provide some contrast. They'll be changed back to red in the final version. Same goes for a few of the other touches that show up like the Flamethrower lamps, Raydyot mirror and the Lucas plug boots. The plug boots will be changed to the standard type, the mirror and lamps will be offered as options.

I'm taking a break today from the 100M to focus on getting other illustration orders ready to go and to flush my head out from last week's immersion in the 100M. Sometimes it's good to look away for a while and come to the work with a fresh pair of eyes.

Feel free to post comments, observations, or ask questions either there or on FB. Please keep in mind that I'm sharing a work in progress and that nearly anything may be subject to change to make the illustration more accurate.

Cheers,

DCTownsend

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tonight's installment. I've attached two versions—one with wire wheels and a second with Dunlop wheels, Raydyot mirror and Lucas SLR 7000 Flamethrower lamps.

There've been quite a few changes since my last post (about 60 or so edits, small large, some small). Here are the highlights:

• Squared off the bumper ends
• Added the batteries
• Changed out the spark plug boots
• Added the vent hose
• Finished up the heater including the fresh air, choke, and bonnet release knobs
• Added the divider in the grill opening along with bonnet hinges
• Changed the seat back to red
• Changed the exhaust to black

There were many more changes but, in the interest of brevity, I'll leave it to the readership to find them out.

AH-100M-V4.jpgAH-100M-V3.jpg

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Getting down to the end. This most recent version is still being reviewed so it may subject to some change but I'm comfortable that the big stuff is how and where it should be. Hard to imagine that this one was more more intense than penning the 100S, but it was. There were/are so many small, unique features of the BN2-to-100M to capture. It took (and is still taking) the help of some very knowledgeable folks to help me get the details down. Once I have final version, I'll post it up with the order form on my web site.

Like the 100S I just finished, there will be a "standard" version available (color combination not decided yet but leaning towards the white/black livery) and a more high zoot version that can be had in any of the factory colors with options to include the windscreen in the up or down position, Raydyot mirrors, the Lucas Flamethrower lamps (showing on the posted version), manufacturer's badge (as shown) with the serial number of the buyer's choice, a bumper delete option, and a few other bits and bobs to help personalize the illustration.

That's it for now folks. I'm out to try and clear the drive before the next storm hits. At least I know the dog is going to be loving it. The fun just never stops...

AH-100M-proof-version.jpg

Last edited:

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Really nice , David! You may have said in another post...when are you getting to the BJ8? I have a space on my workshop wall for one--high zoot version, please. Don't forget about the wee Bugeye Sprite, also!