• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber conversion

aroostok

Jedi Hopeful
Am considering converting dual HS4 carb setup to Weber. Any ideas, suggestions. If recommended, what carb should I opt for. Will be used for street driving on a daily basis.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
If the su's are giving you trouble send them out to hap or another one of the good su rebuilders. Much cheaper than switching over to a new carb. Don't get me wrong I love my 38 outlaw on my B but if it originaly came with su's I would of kept them on.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
yep, the weber is only an improvement over the zenith stromberg, and Tony will argue that with me

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I switched from HIF-4s that badly needed a rebuild to a Weber 32/36 DGV, as I found out it was cheaper and quicker to buy the Weber than it was to send the HIFs out to get them professionally rebuilt.

HOWEVER, I'm switching back to the SUs.
The Weber does perform decently (better than vacuum-leaking SUs), and gets pretty good gas mileage. But I feel like properly rebuilt SUs will give me better performance...plus they're original.

I heard that the Weber was more reliable, and I was planning on using my MG as a daily driver. Yet I rebuilt and tuned the SU carburetors on my Healey and haven't needed to touch them with a wrench for two years.

What I now plan to do is just have someone rebush the SUs for considerably less than an over-the-top rebuild, then complete it myself.

Hope this helps.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Just my opinion, but I would stick with the SU units. I ran the same set for years, with leaking shafts and other issues, and I finally broke down and I am having a set done for my by Jimmy Hilton. I would have had Hap do it, but he is backed up with work right now. I am not sure if Jimmy posts here, but I know he is on one of the other MG boards.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
100DashSix said:
I switched from HIF-4s that badly needed a rebuild to a Weber 32/36 DGV, as I found out it was cheaper and quicker to buy the Weber than it was to send the HIFs out to get them professionally rebuilt.

If it costs around 600 bucks for a new Weber set up, I have one on the shelf, and it costs 360 bucks to have the SUs rebuilt like new, I had that done by Hap, then how do you figure your saving money by buying a Weber? If you have a late model single carb setup, then maybe a Weber will help, I don't know, but to throw away a pair of SUs and opt for a Weber is not the answer. SU carbs are almost bullet proof. The problem with them is, most people don't understand them. Notice I said earlier, I have a 32/36 set up on the shelf that I see every day. It's in plain sight, reason, to remind me not to waist my money again on a supposidly quick fix. JMHO. PJ

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If it costs around 600 bucks for a new Weber set up, I have one on the shelf, and it costs 360 bucks to have the SUs rebuilt like new, I had that done by Hap, then how do you figure your saving money by buying a Weber?[/QUOTE]

I bought a new Weber kit for $336 (which is still the price I find), and was able to finish bolting it on probably a few days after I got it. I don't remember who I called to have my SUs rebuilt, but the cost I was quoted wasn't $360..more like $500.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My two pea:

SU's ~ARE~ bulletproof. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif Set 'em an' ferget 'em.

Only Weber conversion for a B is a DCOE mod, and that only if the engine has the mod's to make it an advantage. The down-draught conversion is a waste of resources, as Paul well knows.

Just lookin' at the two setups it should be noticed the DGV manifold has a 90* KINK in it right from the point of entry. SU's go straight to the valves. Small enuff arms and you'd be able to tickle th' intakes from outside. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

The illusion of "more power" with a DGV-ish thingie is simply because it has a squirter circuit, IMO.

EDIT: I'll do 'em (SU's) all day for $500 a set!!

ronzet

Jedi Knight
aroostok,

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

IMHO, A properly adjusted pair of SUs are a joy to own. As was said earlier, set'um and forget'um...

I have had several As and Bs and have found the venerable SUs to be the easiest and cleanest choice. The Law of diminishing returns kicks in here... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
meh... "What's WRONG with this *&^%#$ WEBER setup?!?!?! Can't make th' stoopid thing run at ALL!!!"

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

I hope that is a rhetorical question... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm nothing if not rhetorical, Ron. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

...do you think it may be th' timing? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

Ahhh, yes the timing might be the problem, as in how much TIME it will take to put a set of SUs on it.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
But... but all th' REALLY kewl guys say Webers is th' way t' go! I wanna have this car onna road so's I can show off at th' next gathering!

HELP!

...or words to that effect. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DISCLAIMER:
This is in NO WAY a slam on anyone for wanting to go to a Weber conversion! That photo was as a complete farce for entertainment alone. The thing runs beastly strong with that DCOE and a Crane cam. Ported, matched, CC'd: the lot. I LOVE my side draught Webers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If I could figger a way to shove diesel fuel thru 'em then ALL the cars in the pile in my .sigfile would be Weber'd. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

You're such a kidder!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Now, aren't you slighting those of us who love the SU??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Wait a minute, if I use the word LOVE when discussing a carb configuration ---

I need to get a life /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thought that happened the day you signed up for th' BCF?!?!

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

Life is just an interruption to our passion for these D*#! Little British Cars.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif