• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Its My First Time...And I need Help!

Kimbrough

Freshman Member
Hello everyone!
I just found these forums and I hope this is the right place to ask for help.
My story:
I am getting 2 TR6s from my brother's father-in-law next week - FREE!!!
WOOHOO!!!
grin.gif

This is a dream for me. I have wanted one of these since I was 15(I'm 35 now). My father owned a '76 TR6 but sold it when I was 15
mad.gif

Anyways, the cars have been sitting in a barn for @ 7years. I know one is in very poor shape i.e. gutted interior, lots of rust, etc. The other I wanna get running.
My question:
What do I do to begin with? What should I watch for? Its kinda overwhelming because I don't know where to start.

If I can post pics here, I'll do so. Otherwise I'll post them on a separate site as the build goes on.

Thanks!

G

Dear Kimbrough,
It all depends on what you want to end up with. A TR6 that you want to just get running, and work on as a rolling project car. Or, a really neat TR6 that can be made almost new and will give you many years of service and joy. A lot depends on the amount of cash you want to sink into it and your ability or access to good help. If the fixable car is indeed fixable, I would suggest pulling the body off and starting with the frame. It really ain't that hard, but you need room. In my opinion, you will come out cheaper with a homemade body-off resto than doing it as you go. And will know every nut, bolt and squeak in the car. If engine and drive train are beyond your expertese, you will still come out cheaper to bring these items to a good mechanic rather than rolling the car into a shop and saying "fix it". Good luck.

Bill

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kimbrough:
My question:
What do I do to begin with? What should I watch for? Its kinda overwhelming because I don't know where to start.

If I can post pics here, I'll do so. Otherwise I'll post them on a separate site as the build goes on.

Thanks!
<hr></blockquote>

Welcome to our forum! Yes, this is the right place to ask your questions. Where to start depends on the extend of problems and how much of a restoration you want to do. Youy can upload pictures to our "Member's Ride" Galler (look under the Link menu above). Be sure to upload to the "Triumph" album. Then, once uploaded, you can "link" to a picture in a post. First, in the gallery, click on your picture's thumbnail, then click on the picture so that you wee just the picture in your browser. Then, right-click your mouse and see what the complete URL is to the picture. Then, post a message here and use the "IMAGE" button while posting your message and include the complete URL to the picture in the Image box.
BAsil

G

To expand Kimbrough,
I concur that it really depends on what condition the "good" TR is really in. There are some major problem areas in these cars that should be evaluated before you plan on putting a lot of sweat equity or money into them. First, the frame is noted for having weak spots that rust will attack and should be looked at by someone that knows what they are looking at. Or you can do it if you educate yourself. Next, the body. A little visable rust usually spells disaster because if you can see it, it is everywhere. All these things are fixable but with great effort and $$$. I went about my resto as a rolling project and got screwed many times over. I spent twice what I should have (a very large sum of money) (hope my wife doesn't read this forum) and could have gotten a better job had I pulled everything down and started with the frame. I did, however, start with a rust-free car that needed no structural help. Again, good luck. There is much info here and everyone on the forum has something of value to offer.

Bill

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would highly recommend you seek out your local Triumph club -- this and other internet sources are great but nothing quite compares with the support you can get from your local organization.

You're in luck in that you have a very active club in your area with a good reputation:

https://www.gatriumph.com/

By all means come to the forum with questions & comments but for help now and more fun later also join your local.

V

vagt6

You've come to the right place for good advice! Welcome to the forum.

Dr. Bill and Geo provided very sound advice. I think the first step may be to get a good assessment of the car's condition before you do anything. Join you local Triumph or LBC club, make a few friends, and get someone to go over the car and "grade" it. Find out exactly what the problem areas are and plan from there.

I'd develop a budget if I were you. How much money do you want to spend, total, on the car? Do you want to keep your expenses within the market value of the car? That's always a good idea, if possible.

And, if it is feasible, go for a frame-off resto on the car. Do it the right way, from the ground up, within you budget. You'll never regret doing it this way, especially if you love TR6s as much as you indicate in your message. It's worth the time and effort, as Dr. Bill says.

Be sure to check back in with us during this process. And, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
K

Kimbrough

Freshman Member
Thanks everyone for your replies! I can't wait to dig into these cars! Looks like a frame-up is the way to go but I need to look them over closely first. <Knowing me I'll want to get one driving first, then do a resto as I go but I'll try to be disciplined about it...
crazy.gif
>
Any good manuals you'd recommend for a buildup? Any modifications I'd wanna do while I'm putting her back together?
Dunno about a budget yet. I hope that having a second car will help allay some costs but we'll see...

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kimbrough:
Thanks everyone for your replies! I can't wait to dig into these cars! Looks like a frame-up is the way to go but I need to look them over closely first. <Knowing me I'll want to get one driving first, then do a resto as I go but I'll try to be disciplined about it...
crazy.gif
>
Any good manuals you'd recommend for a buildup? Any modifications I'd wanna do while I'm putting her back together?
Dunno about a budget yet. I hope that having a second car will help allay some costs but we'll see...
<hr></blockquote>

Lessons learned from my Jag restoration (or, "Things I'd do differently if I had it to do over again" )
1. Take lots of pictures (a digital camera is good for this)especially before you take ANY thing off, taks lots of pics of how it goes back, how any wireing is routed, etc.

2. As you take stuff apart, try to keep like systems organized together with all the bits and pieces. Put nuts and bolts in ziplock bags and LABLE LABLE LABLE.

Basil

G

If you are indeed gonna take the body off, the frame needs to be reinforced with plate sets available from The Roadster Factory to reinforce the front suspension and rear diff supports. A must. These parts are possibly available other places too. Then, rebush everything. And change all hydraulic lines and hydraulics and fuel lines. The list goes on. Don't want to scare you away. These are all weekend projects actually.

Bill (nuff said)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Kim,

Welcome aboard. If you don't have a haynes manual yet you should get one. It has some handy info in it and can help you out if you are a novice at mechanical work.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Just a warning about using WD 40 on brake parts, the rubber seals don't like oil much, so make sure you rinse everything well in alcohol before you put new seals in. I just wash my stuff in hot soapy water, rince well and assemble with lot's of brake fluid. If you have a compressor, it's good to blow things out to remove debris and stuff.. ( remember, use lot's of assembly lube or good old brake fluid..)If you are going to use the old seals, pull them out first before you spray..

And check out parts on e-bay.. You can usually find excellent deals on the common replacement parts that you might need. It's kind of like a supermarket that gets new inventory all of the time..

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Today you'll want to go online to mossmotors.com and victoriabritish.com and order TR6 catalogs. They are really great for identifying parts and seeing how things go together.

I'm less of a frame-off guy. So here are my suggestions for the good car:

-Check for rust on the frame and at points around the independent rear suspension. Rust in these places will make driving the car dangerous.

-Also check wheel bearings by jacking the car up and tugging up and down on the wheels. If there is a ton of play, you'll need to fix them, or the car will lose a wheel while you're driving.

-If the cars have been sitting in a barn, you'll want to remove the carbs, pull them apart and clean them. Probably a good idea to replace the rubber parts in the carbs, or they'll run horribly. Take your time, the carbs are not that hard to dissassemble and reassemble. You can do it in an afternoon. Use a lot of WD40 and scotchbrite to clean gunk off.

-Change the fuel filter, change the oil/oil filter and the spark plugs -- all available at the local autoparts place.

-Spray some WD 40 into the cylinders through the plug holes

-Add new gas and a battery

-Fill the radiator with antifreeze and water.

Try to start it, and look for oil pressure, water leaks, see if the temp comes up and stays ok. Check to see if all cylinders are firing.

These cars are actually very simple, and extremely robust. When people badmouth british cars, they don't realize it's easy to get a dormant car running...it's just tough to get a running car running perfectly.

Once it's running, you'll need to check brakes (fill master cylinder for clutch and brakes!) and check to see if tranny and brakes work. Chances are the fluid is full of water and the calipers and rear wheel cylinders are frozen. If the brakes are frozen, take the rear cylinders out (hour job to get both out) and hit them with wd40 and scotchbrite and put them back in to see if they'll work.

Get a circuit tester to figure out non working lights.

Those are my suggestions!

Cain

Jedi Trainee
I began a resto on a '71 TR6 last August. It wasn't a frame off, but like Dr. Bill I bought a car with a solid frame and body.

I wasn't sure what I was getting into because short of oil changes and brake jobs, I didn't know much about car maintenance.

I highly recommend the Bentley Manual for the TR6. I'd buy it before anything else - it's like the bible for car maintenance. It explains how to disassemble and reassemble everything. It has wiring diagrams. I think i paid $55 for a new one, but you might be able to find a used one somewhere.

Below I've listed the main areas of the car and what order I plan to go through them:

- Brakes/Suspension
- Engine/Tranny/Rear
- Interior
- Exterior

I've already rebuilt the brakes/put in all new brake lines, rebuilt the rear suspension, rebuilt the engine, and checked the validity of the tranny and rear end. I'm currently working on the interior right now and hope to be done in the next week or so. Then it will be off to the paint shop.

I must say that the folks on this forum have helped me greatly, so don't be afraid to ask for help here.

OP
K

Kimbrough

Freshman Member
Great advice guys! Thanks a lot. I ordered the catalogs todays and when I take delivery of the cars I'll get a repair manual(s). I'm no stranger to cars - just LBCs. I have a shop full of tools and have rebuilt several Jeeps (AMC) over the years.
Can't wait to dig into my newest project!
smile.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I have a shop full of tools and have rebuilt several Jeeps (AMC) over the years.
Can't wait to dig into my newest project!
smile.gif
<hr></blockquote>

It's amazing how simple TR6s are, especially compared to the American cars of the mid 70s. If you have mechanical ability, then you'll find them a snap. It will take you 15 minutes of reading on the internet to understand how a Stromberg carb works (compared to a standard Carter or Holley 2 or 4 barrel.) Very simple.

As for the electrics -- also very simple. Generally, there are just a few reasons electrical stuff doesn't work: 1) Voltage regulator fails (it's plastic and mounted where it can leak water in.) 2)Corroded connections -- the Lucas electrical connectors are very cheap and prone to cracking and corroding. 3)Shadetree mechanic "add on" splices that come apart or short against the body.

OP
K

Kimbrough

Freshman Member
Today I saw the cars for the first time! WOOHOO!!!
O.K. so one is in rough shape but there is one good one so I am gonna do a frame-off resto of that one. I still have a second complete TR6 for parts. This is the stuff (my dreams) are made of:
The owner and I go to the barn to look them over. I snapped plenty of pictures,too. They both have been here for around 7 years and have not run in ???. There are 2 or 3 transmissions, 2 complete engines and various body parts stacked against one wall. There are also 2 1962 For Thunderbirds (one is a convertible) and a TR3 parts car... Cool.
Anyways, I am missing the hood and the passenger-side quarter panel (neither car has these parts). Hmmm... Evrything else is there and for sure I can build one good car out of the two.
We go back to his place and he shows me the spare motor (looks in great shape). He climbs a ladder into a storage area above his garage and yells; "Holy cow! Look what I found!" He hands me down not one, but THREE passenger-side quarter panels!!!2 are in great shape and one is brand new - still has the red primer on it. Very cool!
Now if I can only find a hood...
Sorry for the long story but I'm a newbie and am very excited...
smile.gif

A few questions:
We found some numbers under the hood (bonnet) 71724CC on one and 77254CC on the other. Will this tell me what years these were made? Anything else?
Also, Are there any parts interchangeable with other triuph models. The previous owner seems to think the TR3 tranny will change out with the TR6s. True or False?
Thanks!

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Kimbrough,

Welcome to the forum! You said that you were enthusiastic about your cars because you were a newbie... I don't think that time ever kills the excitement of discovering those dusty jewels. I became hooked on British cars before I was even in my teens, my step-father had purchased two TR3's when I was around six years of age and from the first ride I was smitten. I am now thirty-four, and nothing compares to finding an old TR or more recently a classic Jag that just needs a good, loving home and some TLC. I believe we call these orphan cars and they always tug at my heart, and empty my bank account when I am really moved by one. It sounds as though you made quite a find with these TR6's and will surely be rewarded with years of enjoyment. The members of this forum are always willing to share their experiences and their knowledge with anyone willing to ask for it. I think that there is a book that I once owned called "The Triumph TR's" that will give you some great background on the series and should have information on the serial number ranges, numbers produced for each year, etc. as well as original photos of the cars when they were new. The author, I believe, was Graham Robson. Don't let the little setbacks along the way discourage you, let them inspire you to be resourceful. I can't answer your question about the numbers on the TR6 bonnets or the transmission compatibility, but if you have received your Moss Motors catalogue, there should be a section on Identification Number locations and information on how to interpret these. Cross-referencing part numbers from Moss's online catalogues may also help you (check the TR3 transmission parts and compare them to those of the TR6). The Moss Catalogue for the TR3 is the closest thing to a factory parts manual I have ever owned. Stick with the folks in the Triumph forum. They will guide you in the right direction if you ever come up against an unfamiliar issue.

Have you posted the pics of the cars you took on your first visit to the barn.... love to see them. If I come up with any other reference book titles that may help you I will send you an email. Enjoy your project as much as I am enjoying my 1975 Jaguar XJ6 Coupe, my current project, and am trying to begin a rolling restoration currently. I think our cars share the dual Zenith Stromberg setup and I have at least one spare set that I bought on ebay from a TR6. If you need any carb parts, let me know. (Get the Haynes Weber Carb Manual, covers Zenith-Stromberg, as soon as you can.)

Best wishes,

Brian D. Murphy
bdmurphy@ccol.net
cheers.gif

Larry4A

I concure with Basil, I made one good TR4A from 2. You can't take enough pics as things come apart and tag all parts, you would be surprise how quickly you forget. Also you can use old plastic containers with lids, sour cream etc. to hold assemblies, and all their little screws and washers. Keep this stuff together and not just one big bucket of bolts. My car is now done and lots of fun to drive but I do miss the time (6yrs) that I spent fussin about and puttin her back. Do it over time and the wife can live with the cost. Have fun and get a service manual if you can or the guys through this site can probably help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Quaterpanels in the hayloft, that's way to cool.
Welcome to the Forum, it is by far the best place on the planet for LBC lovers.For what it's worth I have been doing a rolling restoration on my 67TR4A for about three years now and aside from the occasinal shop time on a hydralic lift everything else is possible on Terra Firma.
I had been rolling Detroit steel my entire life, but when I found the Triumph everything changed.
You can find an Edelbrock intake and Holly carb anywhere and anytime. These little jewels are a thinking man's car.
"Ruby" as my wife calls her is in primer from the rear cowl to the trunk lid. I've been admonished to get the wet sand done before the weekend so we can take her out in the excellent weather.
Just want to say congrats on your find and enjoy every minute, even the difficult one's. Another LBC saved..Outstanding.

OP
K

Kimbrough

Freshman Member
Thanks a million guys! We just bought a house in the mountains of Chattanooga. Should be a great test-drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyways, I figure I've got a log rebuild process ahead but I'm looking forward to it! Keeps my outta my wife's hair if you know what I mean.
As far as pictures of the cars go, well let's just say they are in ROUGH shape! of course, they are beautiful to me and that's what really matters - just don't want anybody to lose their lunch yet. More later...