• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Need help with a 1969 triumph tr6

ChrisBCliff

Freshman Member
A week ago i was troubleshooting the marker lamps and the car would turn over at the time, but not start. I went to test it today and now the ignition light doesn't even come on. Help please.

Country flag
Clean battery posts and clamps, doesn't take much sometimes to keep it from making a connection. Where is your negative/ grd cable connected? Remove it from wherever it is mounted and clean both surfaces. If it is factory cable it should be mounted both to the engine and body.
Marv

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Check the positive connection at the solenoid too, all the power goes through that point. If it corrodes you get the same symptoms as a bad ground. I had this happen on my TR4a once.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
A lot goes thru the wires to and from the ammeter...you might have to check that out.

OP
C

ChrisBCliff

Freshman Member
Ammeter works fine and still does. I need to know why the ignition stopped working. The engine just stopped turning over one day.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, I get that...Have you looked at a wiring schematic specifically for a 69 TR6, though ?

OP
C

ChrisBCliff

Freshman Member
Yes, i am using a haynes manual for the car. It just doesnt go as in depth as i'd like. Sorry, just a little fed up with some rust around the headlights

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I usually try to isolate/track the problem by the easiest means possible before digging into things too much. Just to verify, it sounds like you aren't getting juice to anything-ignition switch no click-nothing? No headlights or horn? (Should work regardless if ignition on or off). If no power whatsoever you might also check battery cables, they can look ok and be bad. If the horn and or headlights work might check the ignition switch.

Lastly, you said you were working on electrics before it quit. I often have found if something worked before I mucked around with the car, and no longer works after, it can often be traced to what I mucked around with. Not necessarily did anything wrong, but if you disturbance system where some part is marginal it can easily go from working to inop.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Chances are it's a loose wire somewhere check what you did and make sure it's connected properly and grounded get a test light and start from the battery and work your way down to the starter then the coil

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Do have power to the exciter wire (white with red I think) to the solenoid when you crank the engine? Do you have power to the ignition switch both in and out. If not try running a jumper to it and see what comes out the other side. That would eliminate switch problems.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I think you need to do some systematic troubleshooting to find the place where you're losing voltage. That means, use a voltmeter or a test lamp and trace the circuit from the battery, through the switch, and find the point where the voltage disappears.

Also, a little basic logical thinking would help. If the whole car is electrically dead, the problem isn't going to be the ignition coil. It is likely a bad connection close to the battery or a defective switch. Looking at the connections and pronouncing them OK is probably not the best way to go--things can look good and be bad. A voltage measurement will be more meaningful.

Marksg11dna

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ney Chris, you should get 4 ohms on the coil. Are you getting any power, lights? Does it crank? If not I'm thinking ignition switch area.

OP
C

ChrisBCliff

Freshman Member
So i have gotten the car running and i drove it for a long time, but recently it has had some difficulties getting the car started. The solenoid only engages a third of the time, and when it does engage it doesn't turn the starter motor. I took the motor off and used a separate power supply to test it and it turned over with power. There are no battery issues and i have checked all of the electrical connections to find no faults. Why won"t it turn over?