• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Beginning of my restoration - '65 MKIII

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just bought a '65 AH Sprite MKIII that is overall in fair shape but the previous owners had disassembled most of the car and did not organize or catalog the parts. Rather they ended up in several boxes and all of the fasteners (or whats left of them anyways) ended up in coffee cans. So my goal first off is to start putting things back together and make upgrades as I go.

The rear suspension seems to be shot so I am looking at upgrading it with a tube shock conversion. The old wiring harness was removed from the car and I have a brand new one still in the bags. I'd like to upgrade the 4spd transmission with a 5spd conversion kit (rivergate 210 conversion perhaps?)and mate it to the 1275cc motor that I have. Hopefully the motor is in pretty good shape and will only require minor work. I have no idea what condition the braking system is in so that will likely have to be worked over as well.

Right now the entire interior of the car has been removed - I am thinking about applying a Rhino lining or some type of coating to the inside of the car to help deaden some of the sound. After I get the car running - its off to the body shop to have a few dents and dings pulled, a few holes filled and a fresh coat of paint. Re install the interior and I am done.

Sounds so easy doesnt it? lol Im excited and I am looking forward to meeting other Spridget owners in the OKC Area.

Thanks!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome,

Sounds like a nice project. If the body is solid, you are one third of the way there. I would also check the front suspension out before paint.

Patrick

Country flag
Welcome,
You find many discussions on the things you listed in "the archives". However, feel free to ask again.

My Opinions:
I'd skip the tube shock conversion. The levers work pretty well and are affordable. Many of use here use Peter C's rebuilds.
Lizard skin is a great sound deadening product. They also make a thermal insulating product.
Start looking in old junk yards for that 5speed. They are getting harder to find. Paul A. of moriservice has a 5speed adapter kit based on that tranny as well.

Enjoy and keep up posted.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome!

I'd second the "search the archives" suggestion -- lots of really good discussions one many of these topics have come up. But certainly ask again. we're always ready to hash over things again, and it gives us relative new folks (to the car hobby, that is) a chance to have something to say. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Lever shocks are good for street use. The ones in my Bugeye (built in late 1959) are still on the car and with a rebuild, will last another 50 years.

Good luck.

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
Did you get the one from Enid, OK that was on eBay?

If so, you will HAVE to do something about that CHROME dash!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Keep us posted on the redo - I'm looking for a '66 Midget & will want to see how you go about putting her back on the road again.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did buy the one off of ebay. but I like the chrome dash /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif im trying to find other things to chrome now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif kidding. just seems like the more I Tear into it the more I see that I need to do. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

is there a limit to the number of posts a topic can have? if not, then I can keep this thread going with my progress

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
Branson said:
I did buy the one off of ebay. but I like the chrome dash /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif im trying to find other things to chrome now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif kidding. just seems like the more I Tear into it the more I see that I need to do. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

is there a limit to the number of posts a topic can have? if not, then I can keep this thread going with my progress

No limit that I know of ...

I was bidding on it ... I was going to make it my Sprite and the 66 that I have was (is) going to be the wife's.

https://members.cox.net/p.herder/spritesidesmall.jpg

Lots of work to do on mine (opps, I meant the wife's!) ... it sat in a grainery in western Kansas for ~ 20 years so the rodents got to anything they could eat ... I will have to replace lots of stuff but at least I get to tear it apart and mark stuff as I do it.

I don't envy you trying to decide what goes where. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

AND I HOPE that I can remember how it all goes back together AFTER I disassemble it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
nice looking 66. you appear to be alot further along than I am!! I spent the first 2 nights organizing and cataloging the loose parts...really just scratching my head wondering what in the world I was looking at.

anyone know where I can get like a package of the required bolts, nuts, etc? I saw a british car restoration kit...but that was like $400.00 Im having to think about that one. Im pretty sure I dont have all of the required fasteners and the ones I do have rusted in the coffee can they were placed in /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
Branson said:
nice looking 66. you appear to be alot further along than I am!! I spent the first 2 nights organizing and cataloging the loose parts...really just scratching my head wondering what in the world I was looking at.

Not really ... actually I have to strip it down to nothing and get it media blasted and THEN, I get to rebuild the car. The only good parts on the car are the wheels and tires. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And they are there so I could return the borrowed tires and wheels used to move the car to my house. The rodents had eaten on the old tires! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I currently have a list of parts from BV that I need to get and it is OVER $2000!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I don't know the condition of the engine or transmission but it is supposed to be a "ran when parked" car. We will see.

You need to (if you haven't already) download the BV and Moss catalogs (in pdf format) and start listing all the stuff you think you need. Plus they show exploded views of the parts and maybe those pictures will make some of your parts recognizable.

[edited for spelling?]

Morris

Yoda
I think a fellow BCFer, Jack Laird, was working on a list of fasteners for the Bugeye. Alot of them should be the same for your car. As for parts, you will save a lot of money if you but from Tony at theautoist.com (he is a sponsor) over buying directly from VB or Moss.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fastners are available at your local good hardware for the standard fine and course SAE. I would recomment Tony for the engine and suspension hardened bolts.

Use lots of stainless where you can ie not hardened. Use all stainless washers and lock washers.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
10-32 pan head 5/8" long
1/4 x 28 x 3/4" hex
5/16 x 24 x 1" hex
3/8 x 24 x 1.25" hex
SAE flat washers, split washers, and nuts for the above
Grade 5 is what was original.

Buy a box of 100 each and you'll have most of the fasteners you need. Try Grainger, McMaster-Carr. Buy in bulk for this stuff not from VB or Moss. Even bought a lot at Sears Hardware. These parts are not hard to find. Existing rusted stuff can even be restored via electrolysis, battery charger and washing soda. A couple of days in solution and no more rust.

Jim Gruber
'68 Spridget
Dayton, OH

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for all of the insight!! I have ordered print catalogs from Moss, VB and now Grainger. Going to tear into the car some more tonight and maybe snap some more pictures. I will deffinately check with Tony at theautoist.com for parts once I start to identify what all I am going to need.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Jack will kill me that I didn't find this earlier
'60 Bugeye Fastener List

You might also check prices here . They are down the street from me so I don't know what shipping is like, but worth a look.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Chris, you are the man! That's quite the extensive list.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got it copied now. hehe.

Thank You, I just started buying by the handfull and did not keep track.