• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Beginning of my restoration - '65 MKIII

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
car is down to a tub now with just the motor, and suspension in place. Started removing the front brakes to have the rotors turned and to clean off some of the suspension components. Removed the gas tank, going to clean it out as there is a bunch of sludge in the bottom of it. Goal is to replace the front and rear shocks and get the brakes working again and then move on to the wiring harness / engine / transmission next. Going to start tracking down a 5spd datsun transmission in the next few days to mate up with the 1275cc motor while its out of the car.

Bought a good sized can of herculiner (cheap!) to apply to the interior of the car and some high temperature flat black paint for the engine bay once I get the motor out of the way.

Just about all of the loose parts have been identified and bagged. Anything i have removed from the car has been organized by assembly and bagged (i.e. passenger side front brake calipers, passenger side front brake rotor bolts etc.)

Like I mentioned in another post Ive got a few misc. parts that I am going to unload in the next few weeks....dual carb set up, shifter, cooling fan, exhaust hedder etc.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have taken a handfull of pictures so far so I thought I would share them

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Car just unloaded off of trailer, hood and trunklid removed. I think im going to sell the chrome wheels in these 2 pics if anyone is interested

IMG_0864.jpg

Removed interior, windshield, roll bar, wheels, radiator, gas tank. Took a bottle of simple green, a bucket of water and a nylon brush and scrubbed everything down. Used a wet/dry shop vac to suck out the excess water and any dirt/debris.

You can see in this pic a bit of damage to the drivers side front fender and some surface rust.

IMG_0869.jpg

Photo of engine bay and 1275cc motor

IMG_0866.jpg

Engine Stamp

IMG_0871.jpg

Starting to apply herculiner to interior

IMG_0872.jpg

First pass on trunk

IMG_0874.jpg

more herculiner

IMG_0875.jpg

Brake calipers removed...now how the heck do I get the rotors off?! I have a haynes manual on order but it wont be in until around the 15th /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I will post more as the job progresses

Branson

Bugeye58

Yoda
Branson, pull the dust cap in the center. Remove the cotter pin, nut, and washer, and simply pull them off. Sometimes it takes a bit of persuasion with a soft mallet, but that's all there is to it.
Jeff

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
That Hurculiner brush on or spray on?
I ask because my GT is sans interior and wanted something down.
Nice project that!

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The herculiner is brushed on. I picked up a can of it at Pep Boys and an el cheapo 1" roller and nylon brush from a hardware store. I used the brush to cut in around the edges and the roller to do larger areas. I put a little piece of tape over any holes to help keep me from covering them up with the herculiner. Note: APPLY IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. I think im still a bit high from the fumes!!

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Heres another question for ya'll (excuse the okie accent) The hood hinge on the passenger side has snapped of, I have a new replacement one but I cannot seem to get the hinge pin out to be able to install the new hinge. any suggestions?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice looking project there. Really looks quite clean.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only bolt nut or screw on Miss Agatha that I could not remove was a hood hinge bolt.

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Progress has been slow due to the wonderful weather here. Front and rear brakes have been removed from the car. I am going to skip having the rotors turned - saw in another post on here that it is not reccomended and so I will replace them with maybe a pair of drilled / slotted rotors. The rear drums have been removed, thoroughly cleaned and given a coat of paint. I will replace the front pads and rear shoes while everything is apart. I will replace the rubber brakes hoses and clean up the original metal ones. From there I am going to clean and rebuild the master cylinder.

Country flag
i dunno about that dash... I get annoyed when the sun glares off instrument bezels or steering wheel. I can't imagine having the glare off the dash to contend with. Maybe you could drive with an autodarkening welding helmet on?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Branson

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
good idea!! im not sold on the dash either. i will give it a try for awhile if its too much of a problem I will do something else. maybe I can make the dash pad overhang the dashboard more than normal and help shade the chrome. ;P

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Boy, that's shiny. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Country flag
Two questions?
1. Why do you suppose he removed the battery tray and heater shelf?
2. On the picture of the hub/rotor are the heads of those bolts drilled out?