• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a restoration

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Hi Don Riicardo here living in Alicante Province Spain. I have just a few days ago joined BCF , At present I am in the process of restoring a Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a, she is a December 1974 model, in Highland Purple, being a 1 owner vehicle having covered only 49,000 miles. On the new members sight are several photo's of the car and how the work is progressing along with a breif history of myself-
has anyone in BCF got or had a Scimitar, or am I the first?
Whatever I would like to hear from anyone with any information on the Reliant Scimitar GTE.

Many thanks, Don Riicardo

GeorgetheTR3

Freshman Member
Hi Don, I do have to admit that I had to google your car to even know what it might look like. I am pretty sure I have never heard of this model before, so it was likely not imported into the USA. I do hope you have every success in your restoration efforts. GeorgetheTR3

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Hi GeorgetheTR3,

I know of at least 1 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. They were never exported by Reliant to any country, however, a few have managed to find there way to various countries in the world.
Don Riicardo

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
There's a fellow in Knoxville who has one. Lovely car!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I owned a Scimitar years ago. Parts are not so bad as they used a lot from other manufacturers. There used to be a parts interchange list floating around. Windshield from a Lotus Elan +2, Triumph TR front suspension, Hillman Hunter rear light lens, etc.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Hi, there is still a interchangeable parts list available, the problem I have now since BREXIT is the delays encountered by Spanish customs, as at this present time I have items in customs since they left the UK on 13/01/2021, having paid import duty and tax. I suppose they will turn up eventually.
Other items I am trying to source in Spain or fabricate them myself.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Just a few pictures of the refurb work on the body, first 3 are body colour getting ready for clear coat, last 3 are body work primed ready for colour coat 'Highland purple metalic'. Just before covering up as we are expecting a sand storm over the next few days, so don't want any of the work ruined.

Attachments

• DSCN0905.jpg
    DSCN0905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201013_120054-1.jpg
    IMG_20201013_120054-1.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210312_115722.jpg
    IMG_20210312_115722.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0885.JPG
    DSCN0885.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0880.JPG
    DSCN0880.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0878.JPG
    DSCN0878.JPG
    649 KB · Views: 5
OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Well, sand storm over with, followed by 3 days of heavy rain and strong winds. bodywork well ruined, some places it was down to the gell coat, so now, it's start over again, rub down all damaged area's, repair and back to filler primer coat ready for colour coat well 2 or 3 coats, leave for a couple of hours then 2 or 3 coats of clear, depending on how it goes weather wise. Leave it to harden for a week or so then cut and polish. That should hopefully be done by the first week in May. That will leave re-assembly of the engine and gearbox, plus other bits and pieces, ready for road test hopefully by August all being well.

OP
Don Riicardo

Don Riicardo

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Well at long last we are back to working on the Scimitar, the car has now received it first coat of base paint, and then the compressor started to playup, I found a split pressure hose, so the relacement arrived tomorrow. It is now hoped that by Sunday evening clear coat will be on and thats it, leave for a couple of days to harden and then buff it, start the re-assembly. Not bad for a year behind schedual, but at least we are getting there.