• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weird block holes

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
I removed my oil pan today, just to make sure the engine was in good order. Everything checked out. But as I was taking the pan off, I noticed I could see light through three large finger sized holes in the driver side of the block, beneath and forward of the fuel pump.

I assume these holes are for the oil filter and mount. I didn't see anything mentioned in TRF. Are these available?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds right, unless the holes are very jagged and you can put your entire hand through them - in which case you'd have a bigger problem!

Plenty of used ones show up on ebay and likely any vendor you can find with Triumph parts. Shouldn't be hard to find, or expensive. The other bit to make sure you have is that is where the oil pressure line ties in, I think you can get those parts new if needed but I'm not certain.

Probably debatable, but I also like the spin on filter adapter that you can get new to make things a little easier.

Randy

PeterK

Yoda
Several threaded mounting bolts for exterior engine ancillaries go all the way through the block. (hint: seal them well when you re-assemble)

The forward most lower hole for mounting the oil filter head is used for the oil pressure gauge. It is a stud mount whose outer diameter is smaller than the hole in the oil mount to allow pressurized oil to go around the stud and throught a banjo connection for the oil gauge. Two sized copper washers both let the oil pass and keep it from leaking - the inner one is smaller in diameter and the outer one is larger in diameter. The inner washer lets the oil into the banjo fitting and thus into the oil pressure gauge line while thte large one seals the banjo to the outside.

A spin on adapter mounts to the outside of the original mount. Your original mount is either Telecamit or Purolator and is marked as such. Spin on kits usually have mounting bolts for either mfg as one mount has fine threads and one has corse.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
... Two sized copper washers both let the oil pass and keep it from leaking - the inner one is smaller in diameter and the outer one is larger in diameter. The inner washer lets the oil into the banjo fitting and thus into the oil pressure gauge line while thte large one seals the banjo to the outside.

I just took mine apart this week, and it was the other way around, unless we are getting inner and outer mixed up. The washer with the larger ID was toward the block. Is that correct?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
I just took mine apart this week, and it was the other way around, unless we are getting inner and outer mixed up. The washer with the larger ID was toward the block. Is that correct?
Yes. The larger ID lets oil flow between the washer and the stud. Actually, IMO, even the smaller ID wouldn't stop the oil, but the factory used different washers and that's the way they go.

PeterK

Yoda
martx-5 said:
PeterK said:
... Two sized copper washers both let the oil pass and keep it from leaking - the inner one is smaller in diameter and the outer one is larger in diameter. The inner washer lets the oil into the banjo fitting and thus into the oil pressure gauge line while thte large one seals the banjo to the outside.

Duh, yes correct, finger flatulation (can't believe I can't say tart with and f as the first letter - it was censored - what are we coming to here?) on my behalf.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I've got one over in the Lab, Rob.