• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB OK, I must attract weird

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sometimes I feel like I'm somewhere between Alfred E Newman and Pogo! Running out of gas symptoms I can't diagnose, weird oil levels, and now I walk out to find gas running out of my gas cap! It's a 1970 with a vented cap and when I pulled the cap off the gas level was even with the top of the neck. I put a bulb siphon in to remove the excess gas and that breaks an air lock and the gas level drops about a foot to the top of the tank...what's going on? I figure with the change in temp (hot to hotter), decreased BP and Venus, Mars, the Sun and the Moon being aligned, my car was manufacturing gas because it started again...first with the car cover on which is now soaked and then with it off. It leaked between a half gallon and a gallon, removing most of the paint from under the gas cap and cleaned up some old rust proofing (oil). After my initial reaction of being royally ****** off because of the paint issue I looked around and found what appears to be a brass plumbing cap on the floor of the boot an inch or so away from the filler neck...this must be a vent that's blocked off? I removed the cap and installed a fitting with a 1/4" fuel line and made a 'goose neck' and then out thru an existing 1/4" hole in the floor.
Could all of these weird things be related? I'm betting that a blocked off tank vent can cause the running out of gas symptoms, but that can't be related to the oil level can it? Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not related to the oil level issue, but it could certainly cause your "out of gas" symptoms. I blocked off that vent line on my car since ALL of the emissions stuff has long since removed - but I also vented the gas cap...

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, as the temp rose today gas started running out of the tank again...I moved the car so the tank filler side is up hill which stopped the flow. The cap is vented and the additional vent I added appears to be working as well. I could install a non vented cap which would force gas out of the new vent pipe, but is that the best idea?
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

trumpetman

Freshman Member
I know this might sound daft - with my B the fuel lines had a lot of water in them as the car had not been run. I had a similar problem which I think I cured by mistake/coincidence as I drained the tank to fit a fuel gauge sender unit - just a thought and a share

Cheers

trumpetman