• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Must...have...this...car...

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Wife won't let me sell the house for this, so I guess I'm out of the running...

Factory Works Competition Healey (Second car down)

I'm running out and getting some lottery tickets now.

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Just noticed it... :shocked:

I'm still in awe of the leaf springs...

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It turns out to be very useful. Since I now have a matching hardtop, 60-spoke W/W and disc brakes on mine, it doesn't look too different.

Showed the photos and price to my DW. Mine might just get more respect now. :wink:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Trust me, this is a case where "wanting" is better than "owning." Be careful what you wish for...

I drove Bill Bolton's sister car (UJB141, I believe) once upon a time, and a competition Healey may be exciting for a brief time, but very, very soon you begin to wish for a softer suspension and some noise reduction. A noisy, jarring ride does <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> make for a good long-term relationship.

Kind of like a supermodel, they're fun to look at and fun to dream about, but remember what W.C. Fields once said, "Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one."

In my book, same goes for competition cars.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Editor_Reid said:
Trust me, this is a case where "wanting" is better than "owning." Be careful what you wish for...

I drove Bill Bolton's sister car (UJB141, I believe) once upon a time, and a competition Healey may be exciting for a brief time, but very, very soon you begin to wish for a softer suspension and some noise reduction. A noisy, jarring ride does <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> make for a good long-term relationship.

Kind of like a supermodel, they're fun to look at and fun to dream about, but remember what W.C. Fields once said, "Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one."

Well put Reid,

Bill did own the # 19 UJB 141 1960 Sebring Healey. He bought it from Jeff Healey who had it sitting in an out building near his home in the U.K for a number of years. Bill's car was in similar "as raced condition". It sold at Brooks Auction at Quail Lodge in Carmel, California, in 1999 for $55,200.
A steal even for 1999.

There's something to be said for having a good wife and wild girl friend though.

Referencing cars only.................I do want to stay married.

Dougie

Country flag
"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife. So from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you."
Not MY lyrics.....! LOL

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Editor_Reid said:

That's a good point, if your plan is to drive it on public roads. If I were lucky enough to get my hands on one of these, it would only be used for vintage racing events, not meandering Sunday drives. The boat that my father-in-law races in is extremely loud and comparatively uncomfortable, especially in 4-6 footers. Just two seats, throttle, steering wheel, and gauges. No trim tabs. That being said, there's nothing like the feeling you get crossing the tops of those waves at over 100 mph. The same feeling that I would think you would get driving this car at Watkins Glen or even Goodwood. Regardless, it's nice to dream....

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Guys,

Picture the following: you are surfing the internet to look for a project car had set my mind for a two seater and you find a car, which is for sale months already I assume nobody was intrested, due to a lack of interior, trafficator an odd looking tach a huge gastank and the car partly dismanteled.

After some sending some pictures by email and phone contact i bought the car. When it arrived a started dismantling the car and started looking for the things missing like for example the non adj trafficator an original item, which
is very hard to find.

When i noticed the add Shane is referring to. I saw, that the vin number which is mentioned is close to mine. I had contacted Bill Bolton who I learned had owned UJB 141 at some time. He confirmed to me that I own the UJB 142. By knowing information the plans have changed instead of converting it from RHD to LHD and paint it Healey blue with white coves it will be my goal to bring it to original spec.

note to editor Reid sometimes things will come on your path you don't even think about but when it is reality you consider it as your task to bring it to bring "this project" to a good end.

I know for sure, that i will need a lot of advice of all the things, which need to be done.

note to John Turney you have the matching hardtop already I guess for me it will be a long search. As initialy i didn't cross my mind to have one as I like to timeless look when it is driven open but as things changed I will have to look for one, if you or someone else knows one for sale I would be happy to learn.

Harry

OP
Shane

Shane

Jedi Warrior
hama61 said:
Hello Guys,

Picture the following: you are surfing the internet to look for a project car had set my mind for a two seater and you find a car, which is for sale months already I assume nobody was intrested, due to a lack of interior, trafficator an odd looking tach a huge gastank and the car partly dismanteled.

After some sending some pictures by email and phone contact i bought the car. When it arrived a started dismantling the car and started looking for the things missing like for example the non adj trafficator an original item, which
is very hard to find.

When i noticed the add Shane is referring to. I saw, that the vin number which is mentioned is close to mine. I had contacted Bill Bolton who I learned had owned UJB 141 at some time. He confirmed to me that I own the UJB 142. By knowing information the plans have changed instead of converting it from RHD to LHD and paint it Healey blue with white coves it will be my goal to bring it to original spec.

note to editor Reid sometimes things will come on your path you don't even think about but when it is reality you consider it as your task to bring it to bring "this project" to a good end.

I know for sure, that i will need a lot of advice of all the things, which need to be done.

note to John Turney you have the matching hardtop already I guess for me it will be a long search. As initialy i didn't cross my mind to have one as I like to timeless look when it is driven open but as things changed I will have to look for one, if you or someone else knows one for sale I would be happy to learn.

Harry

Fine, Harry. Rub salt in the wound...

Just kidding, congratulations on the find. :cheers: I think we all are looking forward to the pictures of the restoration. Keep us posted.

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, since you were surfing when you found the car, what site did you find it on? Just curious.

Thanks,

Shane