• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebug plans, written down

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Making a few updates to my website tonight, and finally got around to writing down my plans for the Tunebug:

https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=35

Actually, I was quite pleased that the list is fairly short. Other than the obvious current 1275 swap work, there's not much that I feel the need to handle right now. I'll be well into next year before the 1275 is ready, so it should be a quiet winter.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmm, might want to do the engine room when you change engines.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I had thought about that, would make sense. Not sure budget or time will allow, though.

Country flag
Cleaning up the engine compartment is a common way that unintentional restorations start.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm fighting that as hard as I can. I want to get the new engine in and enjoy driving the car for a while. I'd like to get a least one good season of driving before I do something stupid like accidentally disassembling the entire front end in a fit of "while I'm in there" madness! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh shoot, just the engine compartment, a couple of days only is what I had in mind.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mine needs some body work on the inner fenders -- slightly dented on both sides. The paint there is also pretty thick and looks like it was brushed on. I'll probably tackle it when I get around to replacing all the brake lines.

We'll see, though. I'll have the engine, radiator, and transmission out at some point next year, and I might get motivated.

cdsmith

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
When I got my Bugeye the previous owner had removed all externals to get ready for paint, bodywork, and whatever else he was planning...

I, in my infinite wisdom, immediately started putting everything back on so I could drive it...

Now I think back and often say "I should have done..." when everything was out of the way. But if I had done that I would not have been able to start driving it as soon as I did.

I have no regrets, so… I say drop the 1275 in it and have a fun driving it this spring/summer.

I’m going to own my car for a long while (~forever), so plenty of time to “do the right thing” – whatever that will be…

cd

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm trying to take the long view, and fix things right when I need to. I also know that I need to spend some quality time driving the little guy, since that's the part I really enjoy. Keeps the frustration at bay when I have to have it off the road for a while.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Answer is on it's way...

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I'm on the other side of the fence, had the car for 25 yrs, several engine swaps, and now is the winter of repair. Kind of looking at it as a renewed bonding time to the ole Bugeye. My son is back from college and he is going to help me get the pictures for everybody to see.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
Droo...it will only take an easy weekend to power wash and paint/clean up your engine compartment....even a quicky will look much better......im gonna do mine proper when i pull my engine again....z

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just trying to keep my focus. I'm having enough trouble finding time to pull the engine from the Midget. One thing at a time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't really like the black paint, but it's at least protecting the metal for the time being. I know that once I get ready to do the repaint, I'll want to do a bunch of other little projects. So instead of being frustrated at not being able to afford them, I'll wait until I've got the cash aside to do it right.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Now you guys know why I have 3 or 4 of these little cars.
1 for me, 1 for my wife, 1 for my kids to drive, and 1 to restore so I am never without a couple on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My 58 is now sporting all new floors, new trunk floor, the underside is all primed and the inside of the trunk is painted black. Seam seal the underside tomorrow and give it a color coat by the weekend so I can flip it back right side up.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you already blast it Frank? Wasn't that on the list for the end of Oct?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Frank, I wish I had the time and resources to do just that. I'd love a second (or third) car for driving while I was restoring the Tunebug. It's so easy to rationalize, makes so much sense. I'd love a RHD sprite or midget to go with my Bugeye. Would make a nice set.

Now, with a little rearranging, I could probably fit 3 Spridgets in the garage with my wife's truck... dangerous thinking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif