• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebug' head repaired and on it way back to Steve

I got Steve head repaired and packed up today and headed back his way, and told you guys I would follow up with pictures, it will take a few post to show all the pictures, so bear with me. Bascily Steve thruy testing found the #1 intake valve to be leaking, and I saw the exact same thing on my end, so what this threads involves is the reapir and the machine work it took to do that. We start with a picture of a crabide 3 angled valve seat cutrter used on modern valve guide machine, what this does is cut 30/45/60 angles all at one time, way mbetter than one could do with stones or Neway cutter, the cutter and machine pilots off the guides, the first phot is of the actual cutter and the body that holds it.

Attachments

• 27645.jpg
    27645.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 365
OP
Hap Waldrop
This photo shows the tool use to set up the carbide cutter for a given valve size.

Attachments

• 27646.jpg
    27646.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 367
OP
Hap Waldrop
Ok, this picture show a leveling tool, it fit's into the guide and is used to level the head with the machine.

Attachments

• 27647.jpg
    27647.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 365
OP
Hap Waldrop
OK, now a view of the machine itself, this is Sunnen brand, another popular brand is Serdi.

Attachments

• 27649.jpg
    27649.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 356
OP
Hap Waldrop
Now here's a picture of a newly cut valve seat, not all that great of a photo, but the best I could do with my camera.

Attachments

• 27650.jpg
    27650.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 353
OP
Hap Waldrop
Ok, next I hand lapped the valves to confirm valve seal, this photo bascily show two valves, one that has been lapped, it is on the right and you can see dull gray area in seat area of the valve, where the valve hase been lappped, the seat looks the same dull matte grey after it was lappped as well, the valve on the left has not been lapped yet.

After that, cleaned everyhting up, checked the valve spring as far as weight, they were fine, lube the valve stam and then assembled, packed it all in a box and on it's way back to Steve, along with a set of leaner AN needles to put in his carbs, and also Steve, a rocker arm spring washer.

Credit: A big thank you to my good friend Chris Dover, at Dover Cylinder Heads, here in Greenville, SC for letting me run around your shop and use your equipment for this demostration.

Attachments

• 27651.jpg
    27651.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 352

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
If a picture is worth a thousand words experience is worth tomes.
:bow:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow. Sure beats the old hand-grinding I've done ages ago (with compound on the valve then twirling it in the seat). :yesnod:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the update and pictures, Hap. Good to see the little Tunebug on the way back to full health.

Funny how small the A series head looks now that I've been working on my FJ40 for a couple month. Its 4.2L straight six is *huge* in comparison. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather work on the A and B series motors...

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
drooartz said:
Thanks for the update and pictures, Hap. Good to see the little Tunebug on the way back to full health.

Funny how small the A series head looks now that I've been working on my FJ40 for a couple month. Its 4.2L straight six is *huge* in comparison. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather work on the A and B series motors...

Both have their certain old school flavor.
:wink:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gundy said:
Both have their certain old school flavor.
That they do.

OP
Hap Waldrop
Kim set up is not too bad, it take maybe 5 minutes to set up this machine. I looked at getting this same sort of set up for my bridgeport mill, it about $2500 for the set, but Chris Dover at Dover Cylinder heads deas the job dozens of time each day, and is expert at it, and it leaves me to do things I do and let experts do things for me that they excell in.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Hap Waldrop said:
Kim set up is not too bad, it take maybe 5 minutes to set up this machine. I looked at getting this same sort of set up for my bridgeport mill, it about $2500 for the set, but Chris Dover at Dover Cylinder heads deas the job dozens of time each day, and is expert at it, and it leaves me to do things I do and let experts do things for me that they excell in.

I once read something on one of the forums, ironicly put out there by someone that post here, and I'd think this is as good as time as any to address this.
Oh by the way Kim, this has nothing to do with you, just so you know.

It went a little something like this.

"Hap at Acme Speed Shop does not do all his own machine work, I think I would prefer to deal with a shop that does all it own machine work, and suggest you to do the same"

This may have been one of the most moronic things I ever read on a forum posted by someone who thinks he knows what he is talking about. Here's the truth for you that rely on one machine shop to do it all for you, especially assemble your engine. Normally a machine shop does not assemble engines, nor are most machine experts on every apsect machine work, or a given engine, most high end engine builders are not fully equipped machine shops. Asking a single machine shop to do it all for you is like asking the your general doctor to do open heart surgery on you. I do some machine work inhouse for example I have Sunnen connecting rod hone, and AG300 rod gauge, this was important to me, because it lets me the last guy in the equation to nail the rod bearing clearence on my bluprinted engines. With that being said I use experts in their field, and that's not one stop shopping, I use Spartan Cranksaft for grinding cranks,(so does most machine shops in this area as well) thats all they do and are one of the best cranks shops in the country, they get work from everywhere, luckily they are my friends, and only 25 miles from me. When I take a crank to my crank shop, it's probably alot different than when most of you do it, the instructions are far from "hey grind my crank", it more like grind my crank to this exact 1/10th of thousands of a inch, because I've already done my caculations on exact journal size to get to my target journal size and nail my clearence, then of course I double check it all, most can not even read a mic consistently in that small of range, it's a skill set for sure and one I excell in, becaue I want to learn that and own that skill set. Chris at Dover Cylinder heads does my hardend valve seat installation and about 2 years ago starting cutting my seats with the above pictured machine, as the machine does a better job than a human could ever do with stones or a Neway cutters, running and setting up the machine is no biggie, the bigger issue is the $100K it cost. I do some machine operation in other shops on my own or assist in the job, for example I always assist in the boring of my blocks, and balancing of my cranks, where I personally use the machines. I worked in full service machine shop, and have pretty much done it all, when I decided to open Acme it was never my intentions to become a full service machine shop and have never stated such, that's 1 million dollar investment these days , and if I did that, I wouldn't have time to build these engines, I would be doing machine work on whatever walked in the door to pay for all that equipment, so no thank you, not what I want to do, or how I want to spend my money.

Long story, short, I, over time have developed a system of engine building, that includes experts in their field in certain machine operations, and as past full time machine shop worker, I dictate what and how it is to be done. So there ya go, thats something I wanted to get off my chest for awhile, the person who posted this nonsense over on the old MG BBS, and does post here, has long tried to convince people he knows what he's talking about, maybe this person would better serve the LBC community by sticking to subjects he might actually know what he is talking about, and machine shop work and building engines is not that.

I was once told by a good friend, some of the best advice I think I ever got. "The smartest 3 words a man can say is, I don't know". There are no truer words ever spoken, but it seems that some people, especially on forums, try to convince everyone they know everything. I guess it makes them feel smart, but the truth of the matter is while none of us are always correct, when you respond on forum by the seat of your pants on a given topic, you really don't know, you may fool the majority of the people, but for the people who really know, you will be immediately indentified as a fool.

Whew, I wanted to say that for some time now, it felt good to finally say that.

Im surprised someone made a big deal of this...do people not realize that a modern car is assembled from a bunch of pieces manufactored by different companies? I never trust a company that claims to be an expert in everything...I can't think of one industry that does everything themselves...even Intel and Apple get components from other companies...I agree with your business practice Hap and hope you keep doing what you are doing.

Also, would you really want an electrician pouring the foundation for your house?

OP
Hap Waldrop
Thanks Ryan, I think I probably said too much, and my above response was a bit mean spirited. The person who said this actually a good contributor to the forums and gives alot of good info. We've talked and its all good, I probably made more of it than I should have, you know , there goes that passion again popping up :smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No machinist allowed to do my body work. Thanks but no thanks.