• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's true: the Tunebug needs a new home

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, it's true. The Tunebug is looking for a new home.

BCF ad:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=372

Detailed ad and photos:
https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=69

In the end, it's come down to time -- as in I just don't have much of it available these days. I've also come to realize that I'm not just a collector, and one car at a time is just the way I work best. I've been struggling to even be able to enjoy one of the cars, and if you add in my motorcycle I've got three to take care off. Just too much, and it's making me actively unhappy.

So, after much thinking and talking it over, I've come to the realization that I just like the MGB better. It's much more comfortable (at 6'1" I find my knees can't take a long drive in the Sprite), overdrive is wonderful, and the RHD is fun. It's a car I can take long trips in without ruining my back or knees. It just suits me.

I've no regrets over the efforts I've put into the Tunebug -- it's been quite a journey, both frustrating and rewarding. It's just time to pass him on to someone who can really enjoy him.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not surprised here. 'Poor Little TuneBug'

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Too bad. Sigh.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Tunebug's brother is going to miss you!
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 26244.jpg
    26244.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 363
Country flag
I know a guy that is looking for just such a car ... but unfortunately, wrong geographic area. :frown:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor sounds like a road trip to me.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Sorry to here you feel that way; I have a feeling after it’s gone that a huge guilty feeling will stay with you with this car! I’ve own mine for 43 years, I’m the second owner. I would really have to be at the bottom of the barrel to let it go, even then I just don’t think I could part with it.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Sorry to hear that Pal but I understand.
Hope the car finds a good home.
Price seems very reasonable and I'm predicting it'll
go quick.

There not for everyone Drew and at 6' and 2-many pounds, I don't want to drive one on the street, there just not that comfortable for a bigger guy, where the MGB feels like a Cadillacc compared to the Spridget for bigger guy, I totally get where you are coming from, nevertheless am sad to hear you come to ths conclusion, but here's a thought, we can always make the MGB as bad-arse as we did the Bugeye, and we can do it with a spare engine core, while you drive your B :smile:

Alan and David are horse jockeys :jester:, so they fit these cars much better than you and I. For me if they ever made a XXL Spridget, I'd be all over it. :smile:

Country flag
I'm 5'8" and about 185 ... all muscle :wink:

Spridget XX ... good name for a car. We just need to find someone to scale it up by about 12% .

dklawson

Yoda
Trevor Jessie said:

That sounds like me... except for the muscle part.

I don't remember who said it but I always remember the statement that "A Midget is a 200 mile car and an MGB is a 400 mile car" referring to how long you can tolerate sitting in one for a road trip. I love my Mini but I would rate it as a 100 mile car so I completely understand your feelings about the Bugeye. Still... it's a shame to sell it after all the work you've put into it.

Trevor Jessie said:

Spridget XX ... good name for a car. We just need to find someone to scale it up by about 12% .

You're too quick, you got in there before my edit :smile: You should have seen the crap I went to to get me comfortable in a Midget race car, and the roll cage to be just right or forget it. With David's street Bugeye, I have to hold my legs up to just reach the pedals, other wise they are under them.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I thought long and hard about this decision. I really like the Sprite, and I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish with this little car and all that I've learned about restoration and mechanics. After 5 years it's time to try something different.

And Hap, I'm already putting aside some pennies so that we can take the MGB in the same direction that we took the Sprite.
grin.gif

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Hap Waldrop said:
There not for everyone Drew and at 6' and 2-many pounds, I don't want to drive one on the street, there just not that comfortable for a bigger guy, where the MGB feels like a Cadillacc compared to the Spridget for bigger guy, I totally get where you are coming from, nevertheless am sad to hear you come to ths conclusion, but here's a thought, we can always make the MGB as bad-arse as we did the Bugeye, and we can do it with a spare engine core, while you drive your B :smile:

Alan and David are horse jockeys :jester:, so they fit these cars much better than you and I. For me if they ever made a XXL Spridget, I'd be all over it. :smile:

When ya find a 6 foot 175 lb jockey let me know. :devilgrin:

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hate to see that Drew - hate it even more I can't buy her!
Gotta agree though, MGB's are really nice cars, especially for extended driving.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Drew, I completely understand the situation. I just sold my Bugeye for largely the same reason. I just don't have the time for more than one prima dona car, and while I love to drive it, I'm quite limited here in LA since I'm not comfortable driving it on the freeways.

The Bugeye was purchased by a guy in Germany. I'm now waiting for him to arrange shipping, and then it's off to Europe. He lives in Freiburg, near the Black Forest, and there should be plenty of very cool roads that are perfect for it. It's going to a good home. I hope yours does, too.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew
Won't be the same here without your Tunebug stories and updates. Unfortunately I'm about to do the same with the Whitephrog. I just don't fit in the cockpit anymore. I've also come to understand that I enjoy the restoring more than the restored.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Whitephrog said:
I've also come to understand that I enjoy the restoring more than the restored.

Funny thing is I've come to the exact opposite realization -- I'm really just not cut out for restoration work and much prefer driving and maintaining. Ah well.

Good luck finding the Phrog a new home.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The MBG is a big car and there are lots of big cars out there, but not many spridgets. To me the small size is what makes them fun. Drew, how you gonna feel in a year or two when somebody drives by and you see that bugeye smile? :wink: I understand. I got two motorcycles and a midget and then another project midget I have not even started on yet.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
regularman said:
The MBG is a big car and there are lots of big cars out there, but not many spridgets. To me the small size is what makes them fun. Drew, how you gonna feel in a year or two when somebody drives by and you see that bugeye smile? :wink: I understand. I got two motorcycles and a midget and then another project midget I have not even started on yet.

The MGB is only big compared to a Spridget, though my knees can sure feel the difference.
grin.gif

I'll certainly miss the Tunebug, but I've been struggling with a lack of time this summer, and don't see that getting easier anytime soon. With a full time job and a very full gig schedule (almost every weekend summer and winter these days, plus time for rehearsals and practice) I just don't have the time or money to keep both cars -- and the bike, and have time to hike, or camp, or see my wife occasionally.

Eventually our stuff starts to own us, and I'm at that point. Time to simplify. Besides, I never believed I would own these cars forever. The Sprite is the first sports car I ever owned, really (the TR4 didn't last long enough to really count, as it never really ran properly). There are lots of cars I'd like to try before I'm done, and without a Jay Leno budget I have to move one on before I can try another one.

The Tunebug's taught me a lot of lessons, and I've enjoyed my time with him and had some good drives and good nights in the garage. I'm proud of what I've been able to do to get him back on the road. I feel like I'm sending him out into the world better than when he came to me, and I'm good with that.