• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebug hiatus

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, I've had to put work on the Tunebug on the back burner for a while. For a variety of reasons (mostly good ones) my wife and I have put our house projects list to the front of the queue. Probably means that I'll won't be around here as much over the next few weeks, as I'll be spending way too much time fixing wiring and pulling weeds.

I'd rather be working on the Tunebug, but the eventual results should be worth the work.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Yep, sometimes the real world gets in the way. I had planned on getting more work done my bugeye this summer, but my Land Rover blew a head gasket, so I've been busy working on it in my spare time. bummer!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Understand fully Drew, I've been doing very little with mine and spending a lot of time on the house and other distractions.
How is she coming along anyway?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Engine's in, brake lines are mostly in (I'll try and get those finished up this week if I can). Still hoping to have it running before the snow flies, but we'll get there when we get there. Still have to install carbs, exhaust, radiator, fuel pump (electric), and all the other ancillaries.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like you have several days work Drew.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I can relate: I was going to finish up the Westfield this summer, but instead we bought an old boat that I have been restoring...... in 105 degree heat! At least it will be cooler on the river when it's done.

BTW, I am a Ford guy from waaay back and this boat has a Big Block Chevy, I hope the Ford gods will forgive me! For those who care it's a Dart block, heads and intake and made 550 hp and 590 ft lbs on the dyno last week. 1 hp per cu in isn't bad for a build up with NO hand work beyond measuring and balancing.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh man, we need a pic of the boat and the engine please.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew,

I understand.You're fortunate - I wish I knew
how to work on our house.I hope all goes well.

- Doug

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, all. We're doing a lot of grunt work on our place -- major yard cleanup and a ton of other little clean up projects. We're hoping to take advantage of the recent swings in the housing market to move to a smaller house that's closer to where we work. We don't need all the space we have, and getting closer would allow us to get rid of one of our daily drivers. Less stuff sounds really appealing to us right now!

Besides, with fewer things to maintain I'd have more time to work on the Tunebug!

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
jlaird said:
Oh man, we need a pic of the boat and the engine please.

Jack, I will post when things get a little farther along. Right now it's looking pretty ugly! I have a bunch of rotten plywood cut out of the floor and will be glassing in the new tomorrow, I hope. The engine is complete and waiting the rebuilt outdrive unit. We hope to splash in about a month. The boat is a '82 Campbell 24' Daycruiser, a ski-type lake and river boat that should top out around 65 or so....

BTW it's been above 105 for a couple of weeks now, 110 on my shaded porch yesterday. Even with a shade canopy I can't work much past 11AM since the resin kicks over too fast in the heat. Today it was 80 at 5:45AM.......

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What a fun project, and something you and the family can have fun together with.

Keep us advised.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
Good plan! We've been out house-shopping too.

we're actually homeless - 7 weeks between closings. On the bright side we just got back from a great cruise - home for 9 days. But, preparing to sell etc. etc. has meant not much Midget time