• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 fuel filter location and type

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Where's the best place to put fuel filter? Is there a generic filter available that I can just go to local auto parts store and buy?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Seems like I usually see them spliced into the soft lines either just before the carbs (1/4" line) or just before the fuel pump (5/16" line).

I've never used one so can't say from experience but it may depaend on what you're trying to filter out... e.g. crud from a rusty gas tank vs impurities in the gas purchased.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On my TR250 I use the NAPA Gold #3002 clear fuel filter. I like it because if is fairly small and you can see if crud is getting into it. I put mine in the rubber hose that connects the fuel line to the fuel pump. I wanted to make sure no crud got into my fuel pump AND carbs.
Regards,
Bob

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On my TR4A, I added one in the soft line just before the carbs. I just picked one up at my FLAPS for a few bucks. I originally added it because I noticed a lot of sediment in the fuel pump sediment bowl, and I assumed the screen wasn't catching all the small particles. I refinished my gas tank shortly after adding the in line filter, and I have not seen any more junk in the sediment bowl since. This was about fifteen years ago.

I recently replaced this filter, not because it was dirty, but because it just looked cruddy. When I was doing this, I considered moving it to another location, as I think its current location just adds to the liklihood that I will have a fuel leak near the exhaust manifold.

I would recommend putting it just prior to the mechanical fuel pump. Not only is this location safely away from the exhaust manifold, it is mostly out of sight, as well.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a question...for those using the extra fuel filter at the carbs, how often do you find it clogged? Just curious to know how efficient the bowl and screen filter is.

John

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A fellow club member has had one on his TR3B for years (near the pump). It started getting clogged frequently due to rust in his tank. He installed an Al tank, and had it clog again. Apparently there was some loose tiny bits (like mud) of the Al that were inside the new tank. It seems OK now.

Another member has had one installed for years, and on occasion it clogs up as well. He still has a steel untreated gas tank. The clogs are few and far between.

I have already installed one in my TR3, and have always had one in the TR6. I don't see what it could hurt. After a few years of service, the one in the TR6 looked too clean, so I opted to replace it. I found the element was torn from the inlet rendering it useless. Now I have the glass type with changeable elements.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CJD said:
Here's a question...for those using the extra fuel filter at the carbs, how often do you find it clogged? Just curious to know how efficient the bowl and screen filter is.
I ran for many, many years with the usual amount of rust in the tank and no filter at all. My opinion, properly installed, the sediment bowl & screen do a pretty good job. Here's a shot of the sediment bowl after probably 3 years (about 30,000 miles) of not being cleaned (plus another 3 or 4 years of sitting after it got wrecked):
DSCF0084_crop_reduce.jpg

But, when I moved the carbs from the wreck to the current TR3, I found some very fine "mud" inside the lower jet bearing. So I installed a small paper element filter in the soft line just before the front carb. That was in 2009 and although the paper is turning a bit dark, I haven't had to change it yet.

You may have more trouble in more humid climates, though. Any trace of water that makes it to the paper will cause it to swell and close up. The usual advice is to change the filter every year.

Something to watch out for, on the filters with the glass tube and screen inside. Some of them use plastic end pieces that can break and spill fuel all over the place. After seeing it happen on a buddy's TR6, I wouldn't use the ones with plastic end pieces. The metal ones should be OK, although I suspect that the screen will pass larger chunks of dirt than a paper element filter will.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
If my tr3 was fuel injected, I would run an added filter. In many years of driving, I have only broken down perhaps a handful of times. Two of those break downs where the added fuel filters. I run it now using the stock system with the screen on the pump and the two wirer mess ones on the float bowls. If the crap gets past that, it goes out the exhaust or plugs the jet which has not happened yet.