• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A tr3 fuel delivery system

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I am asking questions about the fuel delivery system of a tr3 that i thought I knew the answer too. Anyways my 58 tr3 started fading out like it was out of gas, but I just filled it up. I check the pump by unhooking the line and the pump provided just a weak pump. I started to take the pump off, but when I undid the feed line only dribbles of fuel come out? Should there not be a stream of fuel coming out by gravity? Now I am thinking the line from the tank might be partially blocked. Anybody have any suggestions. I do not want to pull the pump if that is not it. The bowl on the pump is full and the float bowls have fuel.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It depends on how full the tank is...if it is full, you should have a good flow...

John

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
It is full and perhaps there is a vent problem. If I bend the hose down fuel comes out, but not like I would think. I expected the fuel to flow out steady and strong at the size of the line, but it comes out choppy and weak more like a trickle. I guess I could blow some air in and see what happens.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the float bowls are full, you don't have a fuel delivery problem at the moment.

With a full tank, you should get a steady stream with the pump inlet disconnected, but I wouldn't call it particularly strong. If it just dribbles, then I would definitely be looking for some sort of restriction.
Which might be some sort of FOD in the tank covering up the outlet. Have you tried to look in there? Kids sometimes think it is fun to drop rocks or marbles in the tank, which can cause weird intermittent problems.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
When I started getting the problem it came on slow and when I slowed down it acted like the bowls refilled enough to drive it. In the beginning, I actually replaced the coil thinking that it was the problem. Then I went on the test drive and the problem came back worse. I limped it home and had to stop a couple of times and restart. My thinking is still the pump has weak pressure, but perhaps I have both problems, the line and the pump. I will take a look in the tank and see if there is anything in there. The bowls where ¾ full when I pulled the covers, but I had it shut off in front of the garage door, then a shot restart into the garage and then the bowl check.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you do pull the pump, be sure to get the magic tool from Sears or wherever.
fpit.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd go with rust in the tank. If you blow air up your line from the pump and get a good flow, don't get over excited about the problem being solved, as it will come to rest in the same place again, right over the fuel line pick up. Get ready to remove the tank and seal it.

Wayne

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Look for and replace (or eliminate) any filters in the fuel line between tank and pump. Disconnect inlet line from pump and use some compressed air to backflush the crap out of the line. Check your flow after you do this. Look down into the tank thru the filler hole, with a light to locate any clumps of goo, bug bodies, etc. If you find any, put a long clear vinyl hose onto a slurp gun and wire the end to a steel rod. Point the hose opening toward the detritus and slurp it into the gun. When you get what you can see out, shake the **** out of the car and repeat.
Bob

Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Every time I have lost a fuel pump it is very obvious...like fuel spraying all over the engine obvious.

I suppose it is possible for a pump to get weak, if the lever that works against the cam is bent, broken, or worn through, But then the external hand lever should still operate normally.

My bet is on a restriction in the fuel supply...the tank or lines.

John

PS - this new format is still kicking my a#$. Most of my posts lock up the page and get lost. I even tried copying the text in case it locks, but it won't copy. Anyone have any suggestions on what I have going on??

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
WellI blew some air through and like suggested the flow came back. yeh John sameproblem here. I have been typing in word and copy pasting, but the formatting screwsup and I then have to edit in some spacing

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Re: formatting. Go to Settings (upper right of page). General (lower left side), then Miscellaneous. Then turn off WYSIWYG.

Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
So it sounds like blowing through the line worked in clearing the obstruction? If so, it will likely run for some time before the detritis in the tank re-clogs the pickup. I once ran my '71 Olds out of gas, and the car acted like it was starving for fuel. Changed the fuel pump, but like you, noticed there was little fuel coming out of the feed line. I blew air backwards...and the car ran fine for years. I assume running out of gas allowed the screen to collapse, and blowing cleared it and spread the trash in the tank back out. Not good having it there, but it should run till you have time to remove the tank and clean it out.

Thanks Tom. Switched to standard editor, so hopefully that will do it. I noticed it only affected long texts, so will be verbose on this for a test. When I hit the post button the button turned lighter, but then the whole window just froze. I began typing one word, then editing the post in from there...and that worked, but pretty cumbersome.

Well, I've typed enough...here goes...holding my breath...and...............

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Bingo...it worked!!

Thanks again Tom!!

And for anyone else, I just use the straight windows explorer that I was having the trouble with...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No applause please ... just money.

(glad it worked!)

Tom

Bingo...it worked!!

Thanks again Tom!!

And for anyone else, I just use the straight windows explorer that I was having the trouble with...

HerronScott

Darth Vader
John,

I haven't had any problems using either IE9 or the latest Mozilla Firefox on Windows 7. Not sure I have any suggestions but what browser and OS?

Scott

Oops that's what happens when I step away for a while in the middle of posting. Glad he had an answer for you!

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Replace the flex line under the tank, many fuel lines are now only good for 10 or 12 years,older ones swell up internally.
Any body putting on a new fuel pump should look at the pivot arm very carefully.The new pump has the pivot shaft
pressed into a grove and swedged over to hold it in place. These pins can come adrift and the pump slowly pumps less and less
till you are walking. A drop of metal bonding epoxie is good insurance.
MD