• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Temperature gauge

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have just bought a Temperature gauge clone on Ebay. It looks very good. It appears to be new with the correct domed glass and the face looks correct.
The seller says he builds them as a hobby and can do Fahrenheit or Celsius.
I am replacing an incorrect flat faced gauge in my panel.
He has another on Ebay now. Seller Streetrunnaz

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Temp gauge.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Don't know if he does repairs. May be able to contact him through his Ebay name.
Is the capillary tube broken on them? I have seen an article on how to splice a new tube on to an old gauge.

David

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Marv, I'm sure you probably know this, but even used original ones, that are repairable, bring a premium price. Nisonger Instruments has rebuilt two for me. I don't know if anybody makes the printed face for them though.

dklawson

Yoda
Is the capillary tube broken on them? I have seen an article on how to splice a new tube on to an old gauge.
David

I have repaired a half dozen capillary gauges using the steps in the article linked below.
https://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

On my last rebuilds I made one change to the procedure. The article talks about using a salt/ice bath to cool the gauge's expansion bulb. That works but is messy and no matter how much rinsing you do it discolors the protective spring around the capillary tube. On my last rebuilds I used dry ice from the grocery store to chill the expansion bulb. It is cheaper, faster, and infinitely cleaner.

Country flag
I Should dig out all my spares and offer a deal to someone. Probably can fix a few myself but too many bigger jobs to do. Just a one man show here. Small tegus projects get me tense, rather beat a fender back in place.
Marv

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I know it's old but in the rebuild procedure it indicates mechanical temp gauges are still being manufactured and available in most auto parts stores. I've checked most of the auto parts places in this area and the only ones that seem to be available are those with the plastic coating. Does anyone know of a source for gauges with the spiral wound protective covers? I have a couple of old gauges and would like to attempt to repair them.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For those of you who don't want to pursue the gauge rebuild, Morris at West Valley Instruments in SoCal rebuilt my temp gauge in a week's time and it looked new when he returned it to me. Was about $160, if I recall correctly. I felt like that was a good deal! No, he's not my brother or anything. Just a satisfied customer.

Pat

dklawson

Yoda
Does anyone know of a source for gauges with the spiral wound protective covers? I have a couple of old gauges and would like to attempt to repair them.

It has been about 2 years since I last repaired temperature gauges. At that time you could still buy Sunpro brand gauges at the local stores and they had the spiral/spring protector. I understand that those gauges are now sold under the Bosch name. However, I have not looked to confirm whether under the Bosch name they continue to use the spring or have switched to the plastic protector.

Prices on the gauges were going up last time I did this and for at least one set of repairs I ordered a handful of donor gauges off of eBay so I would have a cost effective source for the spring wrapped capillary tubes.
(Just checked... see eBay item 201525235664).

EDIT: Online pictures of the Bosch FST 7983 and FST 8217 gauges show that both have the spiral/spring protector for the capillary tube.