• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Temperature Gauge for BN6

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Has anybody installed an oil temperature gauge in a BN6? Want to install one and I am looking for instructions in particular where to place the temperature sensor and the gauge itself.

Regards,

Volker

Country flag
If you were to install a remote oil filter, and/or an oil cooler, it would be easy enough to get a temperature sending unit in line with the flow of oil leaving the engine's oil galleys.

Alternatively, you could modify a stock oil pan drain plug, by drilling and tapping it, placing the sending unit there. I'd just be leery of the low-dnagling wiring becoming instantly attached to an immovable object...

I don't have an oil temperature gauge at present__did have one in the past, but didn't want to modify another facia__but I do run a thermostatically controlled oil cooler, and a remotely mounted spin-on oil filter.

Some of the pictures are here, though I know there are some newer ones somewhere, showing the thermostat (with about 45,000 pictures online, I don't remember them all...).

IMG_6504.jpg

IMG_6772.jpg

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Volker
If you wont add one analog classic Oil temp. instrument, I can't help you -It are very difficult to find a old instrument similar to the BN6 instruments
and the placement on the dash are very invasive-
one old pressure instrument before the mounting require care and one accurate new calibration

If your intention are for the possibility of one control of the oil temperature. just for a right preservation of engine, I can suggest one hidable solution
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pPVyQe4dLDIHINgtTmhRb9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
I have fit the long probe on my Oil radiator- but probably it can be fit also in to the Oil DIP Stick hole- it is very accurate in calibration (C or F °)-and have also the programmable temperature alarm, and have a magnet that permit the placement on the transmission tunnel, for a immediate control

OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Andrea, the oil temperature gauge is only for right preservation of the engine. It should be hidden in some kind of area where I will pout other instruments I just use for classic rallyes. I even think about an air fuel ratio gauge.

The main aspect is there a solution which I can buy to place the temperature sensor into the oil flow like the drain plug with an integrated sensor. Heard about an adapter for the oil filter which provides the possibility to mount an oil temperature sensor.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Has anybody installed an oil temperature gauge in a BN6? Want to install one and I am looking for instructions in particular where to place the temperature sensor and the gauge itself.

Regards,

Volker

Peter Roses mounted these gauges between the heater control and the top of the heater box:
Gauges1_1.JPGGauges2_1.JPG

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve, where did he place the sensor?

I was showing those because there was also a question about gauge placement. One is a volt meter; the other is a K&N Air/fuel meter using an O2 sensor in each exhaust downpipe. There's a rocker switch on the left-hand mount to switch the gauge between sensors.

Hopefully that answers the question. :smile:

PS - here's a stock Alfa 4cyl sender on the oil filter mount:
OilTempSenderAlfaStock.jpg Seems like it would be easy to install one onto a spin-on filter adapter.