• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Switching to electronic ignition...Preferences?

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
Sharpish, I've have the petronics ignition put in my euro-spec dist. when I got it two years ago. Very happy with it, no problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Petronix.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Switching to electronic ignition...Preferences

I have a Crane XR700 with a pointsless distributor. The system works pretty well for me. It was installed on the car when I bought it, and the only problems I've had with my ignition thus far has been with the coil and the plug wires. The XR700 and distributor themselves have not caused me any troubles.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee

I've had the Crane and the Pertronix both in my TR6. I took the Pertronix out due to what I thought was a failure, but it turned out to be the fuse box. I installed a Crane XR700 and have had no problems with it. I like the stealth look of the Pertronix, but the Crane has a little blinking light that tells you if it's working or not. That's kind of nice.

rdegrie77MGB

Freshman Member

I have the Crane XR700 on my '77 MGB and it works great... no problems. Obviously, either would work fine as people seem to really like the Petronix. Just keep in mind that the XR700 requires ballast resistance to limit coil current. Good luck!

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I needed to replace the failed OPUS module on mine, and the Pertronix has worked wonderfully for me. If this is for the '79 Midget mentioned in one of your other posts, you already have electronic ignition, and it is ballasted. The ballast is built into the wiring harness and not a separate resistor. I think the '79 had the later CEI electronic ignition, which was far more reliable than the OPUS system my '77 had. Unless somebody has already modified the stock ignition system, this is what you should have.

dklawson

Yoda

I've used both the Crane/Alison unit and Pertronix. I like the hidden nature of the Pertronix compared to the Crane unit with it's external box.

If you've got some extra money, contact Marcel Chichak and ask about the 123 distributor. This is a replacement for the Lucas 23/25 and 45 series distributors for A- and B-series engines. Marcel has focused on the A-series but he can direct you to more information on the B-series.
https://tdcperformance.ca/

The 123 dizzy is a complete electronic distributor with several switch selectable advance curves.

Bret

Yoda

I've been running the Pertronix for about 4 or 5 years now in my 78B without any problems. Only thing is to make sure you order the right kit for your car. I originally ordered the wrong unit and had to return it.

My B’s ignition was the stock 45DM4 CEI that uses a “ballasted” Ignition Coil and the external amplifier assembly bolted under the coil. So assuming you got the right kit all you need to do is disconnect the two leads from the amplifier & tuck them underneath the unit and unless someone looks real close (& knows what to look for) they’d never know.

By your profile I noticed that you own a 79 Midget and unless someone has changed something you should have the same ignition system as I do. The thing to be aware of is the coil if it is ballasted or none-ballasted. If you don’t know for sure simply measure the resistance across the positive & negative terminals on the coil with at least one side disconnected. If its’ a ballasted type coil the resistance should be about 1.5ohms and about 3ohms for a none-ballasted type coil.

But as long as you aren’t trying to change things too much like going to a none-ballasted coil setup – it really is a simple upgrade. I noticed a significant improvement over the stock electronic ignition. More stable and smother, whereas before I was having a hard time adjusting my timing because it was bouncing all over the place.

Either way I don’t think you could go wrong with either system.

Good luck,

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee

I went with the Crane 700 and crane coil. Went in easy. Looks good and it improved the idling right off. The blinking red light lets you know eveything is working, and, you can set the timing with it. Summit Racing has em for $91!

Dozuki

I have the Pertronix (points replacement more than electronic ignition), MSD 6A Ignition system (Capacitive discharge, multi spark system), MSD Adjustable Timing Control, and an MSD Blaster 2 Coil. I have a non-ballasted car, but bypassed the loom anyway. Lots of wires, but everything fired up first go, and no problems since.