• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Electronic Ignition Recommendations?

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi all
I'm looking to replace the Lucas 40897E distributor on my TR4A which I believe that came from an MGB.
My parts engine has a 41212 . Both of them are pretty clapped out. Corrosion etc.
I would like to upgrade to an electronic style
Any satisfied users out there?
Al

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I should probably keep quiet---but I will say that I had the same idea. So I bought a self contained unit when I restored my TR4. After about 10,000miles it died and left me stranded on the road. It turned out to be the electronic module. I went back to a points distributor and will stay that way.
Charley

tomshobby

Yoda
When I had Triumphs in the 60's and 70's I ran points and over many miles I never had a problem. Good thing because there were no electronic systems that I was aware of at least. In the early 2000 years it seemed that there wasn't a good set of points or condensers to be had so I went to a Pertronix and now well over 50,000 miles it has been completely dependable. Now it seems that the points and condensers on the market are much better quality. In fact I have points in my Midget and so far they have been trouble free. But as long as the Pertronix in the TR6 is working it will stay.

Hi Charley, I had a problem with modules burning out on a late 70's Chevy. Turned out to be the coil and nothing to do with the modules.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I would like to upgrade to an electronic style...

I like points for all the same reasons I like TRs (and generators, hand cranks, starters that weigh a ton, 4-speed gearboxes, lever shocks, skinny tires and 3-fuse wiring looms).

There are 'upgrades' for all those features but for me the soul of the car is in enjoying it the way it was designed.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have had an Allison-Crane on my Tr6 for about 25 years without a problem. I just found a small wire about to break from flexing and it would have left me scratching my head at the side of the road (even though an extra plate with points is always in the trunk). So, unless Allison-Crane will honor the life time warranty, it is back to points. About the only real advantage of the Pertronix or Crane is not have to adjust and replace the points.
Berry

OP
S

shoopal

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Anyone have experience with Accuspark or Truespark distributor/coil/wire sets? On ebay for around $170.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My Crane electronic ignition started to cut out in hot weather and I replaced it after the factory tested it and told me it was fine - but it still cut out. Only problem with points is that you have to adjust them quite frequently - a chore I don't mind doing. I'm not at all familiar with the Pertronix but in theory anyway, it sounds good and I say try it - but keep your points in the glove compartment.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Anyone have experience with Accuspark or Truespark distributor/coil/wire sets? On ebay for around $170.
As found earlier in this thread the unit that died on me and left me sitting on the side of the road was a Truespark. One other oddity with this unit is that the distributor is set up 180degrees different from a normal Lucas unit and I recall I had to use a verticle wire cap instead of getting a side wire cap. The thing ran fine for about three years until it went from perfect toDEAD.
Charley

Paulus

Silver
Country flag
I have been sold on Pertronix conversions and running the same units in my TR6 and TR4A for 8 years. Providing you have a good battery, low voltage causes these to not work, and do not allow the wires in the distributor to chafe they are very reliable. I recently bought the pertronix distributor and ran it on a distributor machine and saw no discernible difference between it and a stock Lucas 25D4.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I have to agree with Charley and Geo.

The electronic systems work great to the instant they die and then they are usually totally dead. If you go the electronic route, buy two and carry the second in the trunk as a spare. At some point you will need it.

Points normally die a slow death, giving you the opportunity to replace them at home when you notice the engine goes out of tune, rather then leaving you stranded along the road.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
When the Truespark died, I contacted the dealer and found out that they would have sent me another module for it. I declined and switched instead. So you could get an extra module instead of a whole distributor.
Charley

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
my pertronix died on the road. I feel very lucky it was in a location I could coast to a safe place to pull off and install points.
John
TR3A

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here is what happened to me, right before I switched back to points, from Pertronix.

iphonePictures.jpg

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
6,500 miles on Pertronix and going strong. It's preformed great. I will say I am a fanatic with keeping the ignition in top condition. That includes every year testing the voltage drop between the battery and the (+) terminal on my ignition coil (because it runs through the ammeter it is susceptible to large voltage drops if the circuit is not in top shape). I cleaned up the entire circuit and since then I've never had a battery reading less than 12.55v with a reading less than 12.42v at the (+) side of the coil. You never want more than 1.0v drop between the two. I can tell you my engine always fires instantly.

The main reason I went to Pertronix is my distributor shaft has some minor play which I was told would mess up the ignition timing by altering the points gap. I was told/heard Pertronix would eliminate this.

So far, I am staying with Pertronix (but may though extra points and condenser in the trunk "just in case")

Bob

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have the same experience with my Pertronix. Its been in the car for the last six years with no problems at all and fires right up. I'm very careful to not leave the ignition ON without the engine running.