• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crane XR700 Electronic Ignition / BT7

Gibber

Freshman Member
Country flag
I was having issues with a misfire after long periods of idling, but once on the highway or after the car sitting and cooling off it ran smoothly again. The XR700 ignition had just enough wire length to put the module in the interior on the other side of the firewall to get away from under hood heat. This solved all the issues. However, the wires were stretched tight and the XR700 unit was just sitting on the glove box tray. I used the same gauge wire to the coil and ground and the 3 distributor wires in order to extend it about a foot in length so that I could mount it properly and route the wire nearly through the engine bay. Everything secured with heat-shrink connectors but no luck starting. Red light flashes on the module, but not firing. Would lengthening the wires affect the system?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I was having issues with a mis-fire after long periods of idling, once on the highway or after the car sitting and cooling off it ran smoothly again. The XR700 ignition had just enough wire length to put the module in the interior on the other side of the fire wall to get away from under hood heat. This solved all the issues, however wires were stretched tight and the xr700 unit was just sitting on the glove box tray. I used the same gauge wire to the coil and ground and the 3 distributor wires in order to extend it about a foot in length so that I could mount it properly and route the wire nearly through the engine bay. Everything secured with heat shrink connectors but no luck starting. Red light flashes on the module but not firing. Would lengthening the wires affect the system?
How did you splice the wires?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I used heat shrink connectors.
I have never used them, but instead I used non-insulated splices and either crimped or soldered them. I used heat shrink afterwards. It sounds like you have an “open” wire connection. You say you did this after the wire was stretched too tight. Check the connections on their ends.

OP
G

Gibber

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have never used them, but instead I used non-insulated splices and either crimped or soldered them. I used heat shrink afterwards. It sounds like you have an “open” wire connection. You say you did this after the wire was stretched too tight. Check the connections on their ends.
The heat shrink are crimped. I have checked all connections seem good and when I crank the engine the red light on the module flashes.
thanks for the response.

OP
G

Gibber

Freshman Member
Country flag
My module (in my BN4) is on the engine side of the passenger footwell. It's cool enough down there.
I’ve had mine for about 10 years and in the last 3 I’ve had issues when long periods of idling. It was mounted on the distributor side by the firewall. Moving it into the interior solved the issues but I needed to extend the wires in order to mount properly.