• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Troble shooting Allison/XR700 Ignition

K

KSIS

I have been doing some work on my spit. Put on a new header and rewire the head lights. I went to turn her over and no start, have gas but no spark. I am running the Allison ignition unit. Not sure how the begin trouble shooting the unit. Any and all help would be appreciated.
I have the point set from another distributor that I will throw in to get it running.

Thanks!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't know the allison unit, but, before you start switching points over etc. etc.

1. make sure everything is connected. I have certainly knocked off wires.

2. make sure that everything is connected properly. again, I have done this - and I have to diagnosis for dummies 'cause I assume it's right and skip over things. (including, is your dizzy 180 deg out or the cap backwards?) - don't ask me how I know about this :smile:

3. figure out where you do and don't have spark.

a) do you have 12 volts coming into the ignition?
b) do you have power coming to the coil?
c) do you have spark coming to the dizzy but not to the plugs?

If you take it in sections. it should help.

OP
K

KSIS

Found the problem,
I was behind the dash messing with the tach cable and bumped the ignition switch.. You may all now slap .me in the back of the head as I slap my forehead

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
KSIS said:
Found the problem,
I was behind the dash messing with the tach cable and bumped the ignition switch.. You may all now slap .me in the back of the head as I slap my forehead

only if it's a group slap - we all been there done that - just glad you found it so quickly!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
KSIS said:
You may all now slap .me in the back of the head as I slap my forehead
If we do that, might as well stick a compression tester in your ear to see what kinda reading we can get.

OP
K

KSIS

I tell ya sometimes I just loose my way with this car. I get sound caught up in the task at hand I cant think outside the box. I was working on the exhaust last night and couldnt get things to line up. I was getting aggrevated.
My some come out takes one look at what I was doing and suggested I loosen all of the clamp and reposition the tail pipe.
Wouldnt ya know it, everything slip right into place. I think I'm done for while.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I find this thread fascinating because I swear what you are describing has never happened to anyone else on this board - you are the first, amazing.

NOT

:wall: :hammer: :driving: :cheers:

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
KSIS said:
I tell ya sometimes I just loose my way with this car. I get sound caught up in the task at hand I cant think outside the box. I was working on the exhaust last night and couldnt get things to line up. I was getting aggrevated.
My some come out takes one look at what I was doing and suggested I loosen all of the clamp and reposition the tail pipe.
Wouldnt ya know it, everything slip right into place. I think I'm done for while.

Lucky! I spent 3 days trying to get the exhaust back onto my car and finally got so ticked off that I cut it in half so it would be easier to move around and it still didn't fit. Finally I measured things with a caliper and discovered that the new exhaust manifold has a very slightly smaller ID and the old pipe just wouldn't fit in. what a pain! I still haven't gotten it all back together.