• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electronic Ignition for 1950 Prefect 1172cc Eng

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I was in contact with Pertronix to locate an ignition system for my Prefect and as usual, they don't, is there another distributor that will work in the 1172cc (1.2L I think) I really dislike points they are a pain in the neck and back.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
the wonders of the google

looks like powerspark

also here

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Thank you, bought it like now, will sure beat the finish-off points, it is amazing how many so-called mechanics out in this world do not know what points are. I am closing in on finishing the rebuild on the engine I have the pistons in with the new style big end, valves are lapped crank was turned to 20 under. I am now kicking around rebuilding the fuel pump or buy another pump and of course the oil pump I will chuck it in the drill and see how well it pumps, the darn exchange rate is killing my pocketbook.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I have a question, I hope there is an engineer out there, I have been tossing around 12V or 6V and sort of settled on 6 volts, ordered an electronic ignition for it with Pos Grnd then while putting the finishing touches on the engine my son asked if I was going to put an electric water pump on the engine which would be better than the siphon system. The problem is the pump would be 12-volt dc and I am guessing neg ground
any thoughts on this problem other than tossing the pump and stick with 6 volts?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you find a two wire pump, one in which the body is not part of the circuit, you could simply reverse the wires. As far as your 6v to 12v issues, that should be easy enough to fix with a simple step up converter in the circuit before the pump.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you find a two wire pump, one in which the body is not part of the circuit, you could simply reverse the wires. As far as your 6v to 12v issues, that should be easy enough to fix with a simple step up converter in the circuit before the pump.
And I suspect it wouldn't be hard to reverse the polarity from that converter. When I changed to the 100E motor, that included a water pump and oil filter, it was already 12 volt so I changed all the light bulbs and was done. Twelve works a whole lot better than 6, YMMV. I also changed to negative earth, having the silly idea that I wanted a radio, silly me.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I just received a note from Power Spark and the ignition will go 6 or 12, I will have to use positive earth so I guess everything will work also the water pump I am looking at for a Toyota Prius says it has brushes and from the picture I think the body is plastic. One other item if I were to use a NEG ground pump and hooked it up to a Pos ground wouldn't the motor spin backwards? and I do not thik the 1172cc eng really cares which way the water goes as long as it cools???

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You really need to dump the hot water into the top of the radiator. If you hook up a pump otherwise you will be fighting the natural tendency of the siphon system to send hot water that way. I wasn't suggesting reversing the wires to reverse polarity but to adapt some electronic device. I'm sure there is one out there or you probably know someone with the knowledge that could make one for you.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not to diss electronic ignitions as they are pretty great around the local area. It just doesn't make sense to carry a second system if travelling in the the old car. At least points and condensor are small and easily carried as spares. If you break down away from home, points and condensors are easily replaced, electronics may require tow as parts houses do not carry them.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have to agree with Larry. Points have served me well in the Prefect since 1962. I do have to tinker with them from time to time but I see that as part of the "charm" and gives me something to do.

jcw67spitfire

Freshman Member
Country flag
Interesting discussion, and I need to study some electronics to see how to take a positive-ground system and adapt it to electronically supply an added negative-ground component. I did put a Pertronix electronic ignition in a Delco Remy distributor on a '67 Triumph Spitfire with 1147 cc engine recently, so no more points and condenser, and everything's negative ground so I can put a radio back in one day but will go retro style. Upgraded to a big old Die Hard Silver battery with 600 cca which barely fits in its spot possibly overkill for mild climate of Augusta. Got a new group started that I will send invites out to y'all not all ready member of. The group is electric upgrades or all sizes.