• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wiring help needed badly... 1975 XJ6 Crane setup..

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Hello to all,
Still baffled by the ballast resistor...... I have no original Lucas ignition Amp. on the car.

Which wires (ignition start/run) joins to other wires before being plugged into the coil, and which needs to be run into and out of the ballast resistor in the setup (wire colors?)?

I'm not worried about the tach wire for now, just the general setup to make the crane fire the car. Will there be two wires going to each side of the coil, and if so which ones to which connection? I know the red wire from the Xr700 goes to coil pos. and the yellow to coil neg. From there I am lost. Any help appreciated, just need to get the car running and I can re-do the rat's nest later.
Thanks in advance to all!

Brian /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Narrowed down a few things. There is a green/white (I believe RUN) which isn't run through the ballast. I am also seeing two whites, one of which is RUN, to the POS terminal at the coil, as is everything with the Crane setup. Do I need to join the two whites, run them to POS without going thru the Ballast Resistor, and run the green/white through the ballast resistor and to the POS on the Coil? The white that doesn't receive a signal when the key is on run could be a starter activated ignition wire, the other is definitely the main start wire from the key start position. Any thoughts? I know that only the Crane wire labelled negative goes to coil NEG, and the tach, which I'll worry about later. I removed the old Lumenition amp. and it clear alot of the rat's nest and things are a bit easier to pinpoint, but still at a loss on the joining of wires for START and RUN, I know they both end up on coil Positive, thanks guys and gals in advance.

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Exotexs,
Thank you, I will read it all. I was beginning to think I was alone on this one. First year for OPUS in the XJ6 and the lack of the Lucas amp are making the Crane instructions impossible to follow, though they mention these circumstances. Appreciate all the help!

Brian

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Brian, I wish I could help more, perhaps if I tell you what color wires I have in the coil of my '84 ?

The solid white wires go to the "+" positive terminal, all the others go to the "-" negative terminal.

Also I have previously read about simply tossing the ballast resistor away, not needed. But don't hold me to that, your car may need it.

My 1984 is a Series 3, and 1975 is a Series 2, I have no clue what differences (if any) there are in their ignition systems.

I'll keep checking for more info.

Ex

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
I thought there were two white wires that were part of the ignition but I was questioning myself on that. Are the wires going to your negative white with blue and white with green stripes? This is starting to sound more familiar. Thank you so much.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
here's a pic of my car's coil wiring - they are all solid white, or white with a black or maroon stripe. Sorry I can't do better, this is not my area of knowledge, unless I can go by a schematic.

Attachments

• 6174-coil-wires.jpg
    6174-coil-wires.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 79
OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Thank you exotexs, the white is the same on my car. The other is possible the white/blue or even green on my car. The links you gave me mentioned a green wire in the Crane sections, so I may have overlooked that one. I appreciate the help, nice engine bay also! It seems that I am seeing blue/white as tachometer, so I may be currently trying to start the car through the tach wire......... I'll get it eventually. I have schematics, but they are for the XJ6L, SII. I am looking over them now to see what colors are Ign. START and Ignition RUN. I think if I can get that information, I'll be fine. Thanks again,
Brian /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif