• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternator Conversion & Regulator Wiring Help Need

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My BJ8 was converted to Alternator and Neg. ground about 5 years ago and the guy who did it just twisted the wires together where the Regulator used to be. All the large brown wires are twisted together, and the two small wires, brown with yellow tracer and brown with green tracer, are spliced together.

I want to reinstall the Regulator for "appearances" only and to have a place to connect the original wires and would like to know what needs to be done internally to the regulator...remove the coils or, etc., etc?

If you have photos and can't post them on the BCF, please PM me and I'll send you my personal email address.
Thanks,

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Patric
No remove any coils- only cut the internal wire that connected E terminal
(GROUND)to the interiors of RV-easy accesible from the BACK of the regulator
OR in alternative NO connect the GROUND wires to E terminal
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XcI9Y7aRiKpCClCpyvJlftMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bkw9FsFGbtS-7r5Da0Xd19MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tp8P85mXVQhtJvG6kCO_jtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9NmNAK-UPI8I6DZqmSRHBdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gDAWi-cvqss3Hfl6BesuX9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Sorry no one best photo of my regulator connection -I will add one, next week to the album-
BUT it is connected exactly as AH head instructions (note large spade connectors D&X are on the same elect.connection point) -it works - The only issue, RED lamp go OFF after more time that I expected
https://picasaweb.google.com/searunner44/ALTERNATORMYConversion?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Cheers
Andrea

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I used the directions and kit Allen sells to put an alternator on my BJ8. By gutting the old regulator and using the directions he will send you, I have a very good and original looking fix to the wiring. Putting an alternator on my Healey was one of the best things I have done to give me a good feeling about taking my car on longer trips.
Charlie

wheelguy

Country flag
I sent Patrick the photos and directions on how to do it the best way.I love to upgrade a Healey... BUT I never like to change the original look. That is why all my upgrades kit are as intrusive as they can be or can be changed back with no alterations. Charlie : Sorry I missed your Oriental ocean gathering. Wheelguy

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
From the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.:

Dave Russell's link here: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...rsio#Post268832 is the easiest and least intrusive method of using the regulator as a junction box. It doesn't require gutting the coils or clipping wires, merely using a plastic sleeve to isolate the coil contacts and re-arranging the connecting wires.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
wheelguy said:
I sent Patrick the photos and directions on how to do it the best way.I love to upgrade a Healey... BUT I never like so to change the original look. That is why all my upgrades kit are as intrusive as they can be or can be changed back with no alterations. Charlie : Sorry I missed your Oriental ocean gathering. Wheelguy

I got the instructions and modified the Regulator for the same reasons you did..."upgrades while retaining the original look". It appears from the "posts" that there is more than one way to convert the Regulators as junction boxes for Negative ground Alternator equiped cars. Since I'm going to rebraid my harness so that it looks original I want to be sure I do the wiring correct the FIRST time so I don't burn it up. I have an AC system, Electric Fan for the radiator and a Thermostatic control(mounted near the horns.

The AC was installed with a power connection to the Solenoid. Wiring then went through the Firewall and the relays just screwed into the Heater air plenum below the glovebox. I have made a mounting plate from 1/4" Black Sintra and stuck it against the Plenum. A "FB70" BWD brand Fuseblock (for 6 blade fuses) and also 2 Relays for the AC system are on the same mounting plate.

My goal is to make the wiring simplified by being easy to read and follow by using new colored wires, terminals and sleeving, etc. where I can. I also installed a Fuseblock that Charlie Hart makes for the early cars up to BJ7's. I had to turn it upside down and move the brass busbar since the green wires are located on the Left side as viewed from the front of the car but I got it done!!

There's no Overdrive stuff in the way of Charlies Fuseblock since I have a Smitty's conversion 5-Speed.
I think we can expect to see a BJ8 Fuseblock from Charlie in the future. Go to John Simms website and see the stuff Charlie has done for our cars.

I will post photos when I'm done.
Thanks!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
HealeyRick said:

Dave Russell's link here: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...rsio#Post268832 is the easiest and least intrusive method of using the regulator as a junction box. It doesn't require gutting the coils or clipping wires, merely using a plastic sleeve to isolate the coil contacts and re-arranging the connecting wires.

Is it just me, or does everyone get a 404 Error for this link?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John Turney said:
HealeyRick said:

Is it just me, or does everyone get a 404 Error for this link?

Let's try this:

Gen to Alternator Conversion

OK ... seems to be working.