• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Amp Gauge-erratic reading after alternator conversion

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have done a alternator conversion on my 54 TR-2 that I am restoring. I am now getting a erratic reading in the negative side of the gauge. Is there a wiring change I need to make to clear this up?

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you converted to neg earth
And changed the wiring in the regulator. ?

Attachments

• 1435BCE6-EEAA-440E-8A40-EF84CCD421C3.jpeg
    1435BCE6-EEAA-440E-8A40-EF84CCD421C3.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 148
  • EACCFCD3-5FBE-410F-BE53-195245693297.png
    EACCFCD3-5FBE-410F-BE53-195245693297.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • 99DD3E42-3ACB-4244-BB27-68A9770FEA9A.png
    99DD3E42-3ACB-4244-BB27-68A9770FEA9A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 147

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
A shunt is used to change the ammeter's range. It won't affect what you are seeing.

By a "dummy regulator" you mean just a box with no innards, right? If there still is some stuff in the box, it could cause what you are seeing. Looking at Hamish's photos, I would leave the field (F) terminal disconnected, not grounded (E terminal). That could cause what you are seeing.

What kind of alternator are you using? Does it have an "S" (sense) terminal? If so, that should be connected to some point in the electrical system.

Do you have another ammeter you can try? It's possible that the ammeter just coincidentally started sticking right now.

In the end, you might just have a bad connection somewhere.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I will pass on some advice given by Randall Young. The alternator is negative ground. So if your car was set up for positive ground you will need to reverse the leads on the amp gauge. Second the amp gauge is set for 30 amps. Your alternator output is about 60. To accommodate the increased amps a shunt is needed . I can get you the measurements of the shunt if you want to go that way.
I have 2 TR4s with alternators and went with a voltmeter in place of the amp gauge. The voltmeters are available cheap, like at Harbor Freight. They are 2" just like the amp gauge. To hook it up you just need to find a green wire behind the dash.
Charley

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A shunt is used to change the ammeter's range. It won't affect what you are seeing.

By a "dummy regulator" you mean just a box with no innards, right? If there still is some stuff in the box, it could cause what you are seeing. Looking at Hamish's photos, I would leave the field (F) terminal disconnected, not grounded (E terminal). That could cause what you are seeing.

What kind of alternator are you using? Does it have an "S" (sense) terminal? If so, that should be connected to some point in the electrical system.

Do you have another ammeter you can try? It's possible that the ammeter just coincidentally started sticking right now.

In the end, you might just have a bad connection somewhere.
I have the C40 Style neg ground alternator that looks just like the old generator. I bought it from British parts Northwest along with the NCB100XB Dummy Regulator. It has the diode setup inside. Both came with wiring diagrams for setup.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, you need to reverse the leads on the amp gauge and that should fix it. Generally what happens after you start the engine is the amp gauge will show +15 to 20 amps but only for a short time just until the battery regains the charge then drop back to +1 or 2 amps.

Graham

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, you need to reverse the leads on the amp gauge and that should fix it. Generally what happens after you start the engine is the amp gauge will show +15 to 20 amps but only for a short time just until the battery regains the charge then drop back to +1 or 2 amps.

Graham
Mine is showing -15amps, not +15 amps?

Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
To correct the negative reading on the ampmeter you need to switch the leads on the back of the ampmeter. This has been stated in my previous message as well as from Graham. This requires that you access the back of the amp gauge and remove and switch the connections from one spade to the other. You are now running the direct current ( DC) in the opposite direction with the negative ground.
Charley

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
To correct the negative reading on the ampmeter you need to switch the leads on the back of the ampmeter. This has been stated in my previous message as well as from Graham. This requires that you access the back of the amp gauge and remove and switch the connections from one spade to the other. You are now running the direct current ( DC) in the opposite direction with the negative ground.
Charley
Charley,

I'm looking at a digital pic i took of the back of the dash. I assume the two wires to swap are the heavy brown ones? Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Charley,

I'm looking at a digital pic i took of the back of the dash. I assume the two wires to swap are the heavy brown ones? Dick
Yes those are the wires. Just switch the spade they are located on.
Before you do this disconnect the battery of the car. Those wires are hot all the time.
Charley

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Switching the wires will make it read in the right direction, but won't change its erratic nature, unless the problem is the ammeter needle sticking on the (-) side of the meter. But Charley raises a valid question: is it continuously erratic or just for a minute or so after starting? If the latter, it may well be normal.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just for the record and in case somebody else is interested. I looked up my notes on what Randall Young recommended for the shunt wire. It is 3.5" long using a 16 awg copper wire. I have set up my amp meter with a shunt but am still a few weeks away from starting the car for the first time.
The shunt is the curvy white wire in the photo.
Charley

Attachments

• 20211213_162111.jpg
    20211213_162111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Switching the wires will make it read in the right direction, but won't change its erratic nature, unless the problem is the ammeter needle sticking on the (-) side of the meter. But Charley raises a valid question: is it continuously erratic or just for a minute or so after starting? If the latter, it may well be normal.

Just for the record and in case somebody else is interested. I looked up my notes on what Randall Young recommended for the shunt wire. It is 3.5" long using a 16 awg copper wire. I have set up my amp meter with a shunt but am still a few weeks away from starting the car for the first time.
The shunt is the curvy white wire in the photo.
Charley
Is the shunt wire run from the two large brown wire connectors? Dick

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Below is a picture of the back side of an amp gauge. Note at the right in the picture are the two large spades for the brown wires. Pointing to the left are two smaller spades. These can be used for the shunt if you choose to use one. Note this is from a TR4 so it has it's own light socket.
Charley

Attachments

• 20211214_161004.jpg
    20211214_161004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Can you define “erratic”? I’ve got a similar setup, pos ground, with a shunt. On start up, ammeter reads high for 20-sec or so, while the battery is charging. Then for the first 10-min or so, I’ll see some spiking, irrespective of the load (like my OD). Then it goes away. Not concerned.