• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A How did you do your TR4 alternator conversion?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I was hoping to only change the crank pulley and have to buy a full kit since I already have the water pump narrow bit.

Also, Moss doesn't seem to be selling the pulley separately unless I missed it.

Where did you source the narrow belt pulley? Tips? Vendors?
Ideas?

Thanks!

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
When I did the conversion on my TR8 I asked at my local NAPA. They had a stash of extra pulleys in the back. Fellow was even kind enough to swap it for me.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Moss crank pulley is two parts,the sleeve and pulley,which is sandwitched in rubber to dampen,and the seal sleeve that must be pressed together to form complete hub.It also is slightly smaller diameter and you need to stamp you own timing marks. Pulley is 10x8mm and I think they sell the components separate.I thought the kit and hub was nice,and made for an easy conversion.
I think VB had 1/2(and you want pulleys to match)but no fan eliminator bolt.Moss is for no fan hub.
There is on other company in England,I can look up name if no else posts.
Tom

PeterK

Yoda
On the Moss page with the pulley kit, click [Info] and a PDF will pop up with individual components of the kit.

They used to have a plain non-dampened pulley but all I see is the dampener so you would also need the hub adapter part.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think my brain is going, I swear I saw this same topic a week or two ago. For just the pulley, Try Bastuck in Germany - that is the typical non-damped kit supplier. Individual pulley is pn M9aTR4A, cost is 33.43 Euro + shipping. Yes pricey but doable!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
OK - perhaps some progress here.

I managed to dig up this thin pulley.

TR4aIRSpulley.jpg

The outer diameter is pretty much spot on;

TR4aIRSpulley5.jpg

The opening for crank attachent is too small however. The top layer here is the correct size opening, the new thin pulley is below;

TR4aIRSthinpulley.jpg

So - can I machine out the new thin pulley to fit the crank? This would seem to be ideal in that it would let me keep the fan in a node to originality and save a decent chunk of change. Yes/no/ideas?

Thanks!

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'm no machinist, but I'd say it looks doable. But you also need to check the offset of the pulley when you install it on the hub - will it line up in the same plane as the rest of the pulleys?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Darrell - thanks for the note. Looks right but not positive, the offset appears to match up with the factory one (meaning the center of the groove looks to be the same).