• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye wiring help for front turn indicator

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am still at it with the wiring. I need help with the front turn indicator lights. I have a black, red, and green/red wires going to my front indicator. I know that the black has goes to the single connection attached to the light fixture itself. The red and green/red both connect just behind the bulb. My question is, does it matter what side the red or green/red wires go to? Thanks as always for all of your help everyone.
Kevin

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
One of those wires is for the running light and the other is for the turn signal. As I recall the red is for the running lamps. Your beehive lamps should have room for 3 wires to connect. If only two you've got the tail lamps installed.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I aleady did the back behives - there were only two wires, so the red went to the base of the buld and the black to the side of the socket. Yes, I do have three wires going to the front beehive, so how do I know which wire goes to which side?
Kevin

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Your turn indicator bulb has two circuits-one for the running lights(low brightness) and one for the turn signal lights (higher brightness). the red wire goes to the running lights and the green/red (LH) or the green/white (RH) goes to the turn signals. Your bulb sockets have to accept the type of bulb which has two filaments. If you interchange the running and the blinker light wires, the blinker will be dim and the running lights will be bright. Just switch them around.
Good luck.
Scott in CA

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
So, if you look at the back of the socket, the black goes to the bottom, the red goes to the left side, and the green/red goes to the right? Would it be the same on both sockets?
Kevin

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Scott said:
the red wire goes to the running lights and the green/red (LH) or the green/white (RH) goes to the turn signals. Your bulb sockets have to accept the type of bulb which has two filaments. If you interchange the running and the blinker light wires, the blinker will be dim and the running lights will be bright. Just switch them around.

:iagree:

You can't hurt anything if you get the two power leads mixed, the result is just as Scott described. If the red (running light) wire is connected to the signal side of the socket the lamp will blink "dull" and the running lamp will be brighter... just reverse 'em. The sockets should both be the same. The tracers on the green leads are to tell right and left, again as Scott describes. I've used the "white/right" rhyme to remember one from the other.
...Or if ya prefer: "red/port" (as in wine). :wink:

As an aside, in Italian "left" is "sinistra"... red can be considered sinister, left-handed folk were considered so back-when.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
left-handed folk were considered so back-when.

we still are :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...figures...

:jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
grin.gif

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was worried about damaging my new wiring harness, so it is good to know I won't cause damage if I reverse the wires, thanks. I plan on putting a fuse inbetween the positive cable connection from my battery just in case when I finally get my car back together (not sure what amperage fuse I will use yet). Are you saying the solid red wire would go to the left side of the socket? (left being my left if I were sitting in the car?)
Kevin

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can't recall which is which, just be sure none of the green ones are connected to a ground terminal. All else is easily sorted if bas-ackwards.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Random thought: As a sorta-kinda "general guide": All black wires are ground circuit, brown wires are generally constant "hot" when battery is connected, green ones are ~mostly~ powered thru the iggy switch... tho there are exceptions. The other colors are specific to devices. Blue ones are headlamp, purple for horns, red for instrument and running lights. Various tracers distinguish function. A black tracer generally means a "switched ground" circuit. White or red, a "switched hot" one. Solid and tracer'd white ones are ignition circuit.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
[nonsequitur]
I love British wiring! Ever since I figured out the 'code', it's saved me untold hours tracing down all the little problems I'd inherited from the DPO.
[/nonsequitur]

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: