• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electronic tachometer for Bugeye

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Many months ago I replaced the generator in my Bugeye with a modern alternator. Of course that meant converting the tach to electronic. Initially, I purchased an old RVC (voltage sense) Smith's tach on eBay, and used it to replace the internals of my original Bugeye mechanical tach while keeping the original Bugeye face and needle. That required drilling two very small holes in the face to align with the mounting holes on the front of the RVC mechanism. Also, the pointer on the Bugeye tach was a tiny bit loose on the shaft of the RVC tach, which I solved with a tiny bit of rubber cement.

NOTE: Using the RVC also requires converting the car to negative ground.

Ever since the original conversion, I've had problems that I attribute to the age of the RVC electronics. The needle would sometimes jump way up and read about 2,000 rpm too high and stay there for several minutes. I tried replacing all the capacitors, but the problem persisted. I think it was due to the fragile germanium transistors they used back in the day (and that no one uses anymore).

Last week I decided I'd had enough. I did a Google search and found a company (www.spiyda.com) that sells a printed circuit board designed to go inside a Smith's tachometer, and replaces the old electronics with a new modern integrated circuit. It's marketed as a way to convert an RVI (current sense) tach to an RVC tach, but as I suspected it worked perfectly well as a replacement for the old circuit board in my RVC tach.

I bought their board through eBay for $69 + $6.40 shipping from the U.K. It came in less than one week. Search eBay for "Smiths RVI to RVC Tachometer conversion board includes calibration cable". The board fits inside the tachometer can and mounts to the RVC mechanism using the same screws that held the original printed circuit board. Spiyda provides a cable that you connect to your laptop for calibration; you download a sound file from their site, play it, and turn a tiny potentiometer to adjust the setting. 'Couldn't be easier!

The only downside to this conversion is that the RVC mechanism doesn't allow for quite as much angular rotation of the needle as the old Bugeye tach so that it can't go all the way to full scale and stops around 5500 rpm. That's not a problem for me because I never push my engine that hard. :fat:

If anyone here decides to try this same conversion and has any problem, let me know and I'll try to answer any questions.

'Best,

Dan

nomad

Yoda
Dan, the spida [spyda?] kit has been a topic on the Lotus forum for a while as well and I,ve seen no complaints so far. Wondering if your rpm limit has something to do with the original conversion. He is a one man show and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets overwhelmed.

Kurt

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Kurt,

Dan, the spida [spyda?] kit has been a topic on the Lotus forum for a while as well and I,ve seen no complaints so far. Wondering if your rpm limit has something to do with the original conversion. He is a one man show and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets overwhelmed.

Right - it had nothing to do with the Spiyda board. It's a mechanical limitation in the RVC tach.

Dan

dklawson

Yoda
One of the designers (or lead designer) at Spiyda is a Mini owner in the U.K. Their firm markets a whole slew of interesting products that will be of interest to people trying to support gauges and mix/match old and new gauge parts. You might find some of their other products interesting. See their web site in general and the gauge product page linked below.
https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/vehicle-electronics/other-vehicle-electronics.html

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nice find Dan..I was ready to try to stuff RVC guts into my RVI...glad you posted this up!!:encouragement: Just ordered mine

dklawson

Yoda
Devin, when you get your kit would you post some pictures of the board and its installation? I would like to see what is involved and I'm sure others would also.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Doug,

Devin, when you get your kit would you post some pictures of the board and its installation? I would like to see what is involved and I'm sure others would also.

Spiyda has a bunch of youtube videos on it:

Dismantling the tachometer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME_KKCpyJqE
Fitting the circuit board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQltmmU2W0
Powering up the board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeh_WB688VM
Calibrating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthIQ-1Cyuo
Alternative Connections: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYIVaA9AYT0

'Hope that helps.

Dan

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Will do Doug..of course, I'll wait until I can start it (and make sure it works!) before posting.
It will be a bit..I'm still connecting wires and assembling carbs before I can finally crank it over!

dklawson

Yoda
Dan, thanks for the links.

Devin, I look forward to hearing your results and seeing your postings.

Tom, Steve Maas used to post here a lot (under the login of Sarastro). He made a lot of interesting electronic and gauge related things for his Bugeye but unfortunately he sold the car a couple of years ago. I miss seeing his posts.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Dang, I didn't know I was missed!

Just happened upon this. I'm currently restoring an MG TD, so I spend most of my time in the MG forum, even though it's borderline moribund. I'll try to take a look here occasionally. The MG TD story is at https://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd/; I've modernized the electrics on it, too, but I think I'll keep the tach mechanical. Too many other things to do.

I have to say, I miss my bugeye, even thought selling it was the right thing to do, at the time. I just didn't have time for it, and it killed me to see it slowly deteriorating. Now it's tooling around the Schwarzwald, near Freiburg (southwest Germany), and I am sure it's happy.

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm the one behind the PDF that Tom references. Quite a few people have tried the circuit, I understand.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good to hear from you Steve. You do know you can still hang out here even though you don't have the bugeye anymore, right?

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Dang, I didn't know I was missed!

Just happened upon this. I'm currently restoring an MG TD, so I spend most of my time in the MG forum, even though it's borderline moribund. I'll try to take a look here occasionally. The MG TD story is at https://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd/; I've modernized the electrics on it, too, but I think I'll keep the tach mechanical. Too many other things to do.

I have to say, I miss my bugeye, even thought selling it was the right thing to do, at the time. I just didn't have time for it, and it killed me to see it slowly deteriorating. Now it's tooling around the Schwarzwald, near Freiburg (southwest Germany), and I am sure it's happy.

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm the one behind the PDF that Tom references. Quite a few people have tried the circuit, I understand.

Hi, Steve. Your tach circuit mod PDF was very helpful and it's still working. Thanks for the help!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for being so welcoming. I promise I'll look in more often, and I'm thrilled that people are finding the tach circuit useful.

Sorry if the link doesn't work--I don't know why Firefox installs that last unnecessary slash. Probably some good internety reason I don't appreciate.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So I too I'm tired of the repairing of the electronics in the RVC in converted. I ordered a Spida kit should be here in a few days.
So any more input on this kit?
Any things to be concerned about when installing other than what is covered on the you tube videos?
Im looking forward to getting in in place and getting the old caps and diodes out of there.

dklawson

Yoda
I have no first-hand experience with the kit but I have exchanged emails with the owner of the company. The main chip he used for the circuit is a well documented, almost stand-alone component. On some a U.K. forum I frequent, several board members have bought the conversion kit. They have not reported any problems.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Doug, nice of you to say so. I still am around, just spent most of my time on the MG forum, as I did a restoration of a 52 TD. Played with it for a couple years and then sold it; it was mainly for the project, not the result. I documented it at https://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd/. I still look in on the Spridget forum occasionally.

FWIW, I'm guilty of the article about the tach conversion on the Nonlintec.com web site.

Anyway, I'm between LBCs right now. I've been looking for a TR4A to restore, but whenever one showed up, I just wasn't in a position to deal with it. As an alternative, I was tempted by a nice Innocenti that was on eBay recently, but I decided against it. I might compromise on a TR3; they seem to be more available, and I think they are really cool. There's a nice TR4A on Craigslist, located in Hayward, CA, not too far away, but the seller is difficult to deal with, so I just gave up on that one. So it goes.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Started life as a mech. Tach. Then RVI now RVI with Spida electronics.
Old bugeye tach going thru its 2nd major rebuild and possibly 6th minor component crappy transistor...replacement now all new state of the art electronics and RVI movement
hopefully the last time I have to go in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 88