• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Swapping out original 1098 distributor to electronic

Fred_Maves

I am considering moving to the Petronix Flame Thrower distributor. Moss shows this unit at $225.00. I see a number of advantages, not the least of which is replacing warn distributor parts. I have heard some negative experiences (unreliable, abrupt stops, etc.). I assume that there are varying opinion on the virtues of original vs. the electronic variant. I value your thoughts on this topic.​

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I like mine (in/on my 1275)... but, just in case, I keep the old original one in my box of goodies (in the car at all times). :eek: Many will tell you to have your mechanical one properly rebuilt (and I think that's certainly very valid).

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's something that I considered as well, but I had the dizzy rebuilt by Jeff (Advanced Distributors) as I already had a CRANE electronic ignition in it. If you like to fiddle with points don't do it. Call Jeff and get a quality rebuild. Once you put in electronic, there's no more maintanance to do except change cap, rotor, plug wires. ... In any case, carry spares.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You might want to talk to Jeff regardless - IIRC he likes the Crane better than the Pertronix as the Pertronix doesn't like fluctuating voltage as much.

nomad

Yoda
If you go with the new Asian dissy it very likely will not be suited for your car. Have Jeff rebuild your's and fit electronic to it if that is what you want.

Kurt.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have had mine for 9 years it works perfect. Must be why every car manufacture does it.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's something that I considered as well, but I had the dizzy rebuilt by Jeff (Advanced Distributors) as I already had a CRANE electronic ignition in it. If you like to fiddle with points don't do it. Call Jeff and get a quality rebuild. Once you put in electronic, there's no more maintanance to do except change cap, rotor, plug wires. ... In any case, carry spares.

...another vote from me for the Crane or Jeff.

I've been using Crane, and it's predecessor Allison, since the mid 70's. I've never had a single problem and the Allison I have (now about 40 years old), still works. I've seen a lot of Pertronix units die sudden deaths.

Slick Willy

Crane for me. I got my 68 from my Uncle who had put it in. It has been from Ohio to Florida and back who knows how many times. I drive it to work on nice days 100 miles round trip and it never fails. So I feel pretty comfy with it. Not a show car but a very reliable one. I wouldn't hesitate to take off across country in it. My 57 imperial has a 392 with dual points. I love it, but take it to the drive in and you may do some wench work to get the beast home. Just my 2 cents.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ya know people say that Pertronix die a sudden death well I suppose that it would as most electronics it seems either they work or are dead.
but in a early post about this I posed the question how many of you have had one fail and there was zero response.
i don't think you can go wrong with one.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Never failed me (but it's not a daily driver either).

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ya know people say that Pertronix die a sudden death well I suppose that it would as most electronics it seems either they work or are dead.
but in a early post about this I posed the question how many of you have had one fail and there was zero response.
i don't think you can go wrong with one.

I've never personally had a Pertronix in any of mine, but I have been on day cruises/drives with car clubs where someone was on the side of the road because their Pertronx died. I heard stories from others. The end result was a long tow home.

I've never personally experienced, I've never heard a story about someone with a Crane getting stranded. That's just my experience.

Moral of the story: carry a spare distributor with points. :encouragement:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Your asking about Pertronix fail was specifically about the Pertronix DISTRIBUTOR, not the electronic conversion. Right after my Pertronix failed is when I put in the CRANE. The Pertronix was in for about 2 years, the Crane has in been for around 10.
'
I don't believe that there are many of us who have gone ahead with the Pertronix dizzy, so can't comment on it specifically. I personally WOULD trust it, just decided to have my "original*" one rebuilt.

*it wasn't really the original, but a replacement I got at a swap meet. I had it rebuilt for the 1098, but now sits in my 1275.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have 948 with a Esky cam NOS.
not sure if it was the cam as part of the issue but I tried a few dizzys and was not happy with them.
at the time really don't know anybody who worked on them pre forum days.
so out of frustration I opted to just break down and find a new unit Pertronix was having a sale and bought the whole unit.
and presto the curve on it seems to work well with the setup I'm running. Sometimes you get lucky