• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stop the EPA

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The EPA is trying to prevent people from taking a street car and converting it to a race car. This is only the beginning as to what they will prevent. Please read and sign.

sema.org

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Isn't the EPA proposal to prevent people from *changing the emission control systems*? (I think that regulation has been around for over 30 years.)

Tom M.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think your right Tom, if an engine had an emission system on it when built, they'll require it if you use that engine in a hot rod/kit car etc. So if your going to build, lets say, a 34 car, put a hopped up 41 Mercury in it! :highly_amused: PJ

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I disagree with Tom and Paul.

EPA SEEKS TO PROHIBIT CONVERSION OF VEHICLES INTO RACECARS
-- SEMA to Oppose Action as Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers --
Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”
The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.
“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”
SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.
The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.
About SEMA

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Basil

Administrator
Boss
What part of: "The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!"

Don't folks understand? I'm not deleting this thread since it does have interest for some folks here, but I am locking it. Do not assume this means that I agree or disagree with any particular opinions expressed herein.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
In retrospect I have decided to re-open this thread but move it to the Racing forum where it is most relevant. I think it is an interesting topic and important to those who are into racing. I only ask that we not devolve into politics…which a thread about a government agency could easily do.