• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Simple tool for steering box adjustment

trotti

I used a few searches on this forum and a YouTube video to diagnose a problem with "slop" in my steering yesterday and I had a helpful hint I thought I'd pass along. The adjusting screw on my BN6 sits on the top of the steering box on the corner closest to the headlight. It also is positioned immediately beneath the large hose. The adjusting screw is threaded top to bottom and threads into the steering box and has a nut to secure it in place once the threaded portion is snugged up. At the top of the adjusting screw is a slot that would be perfect for a screwdriver if that hose wasn't in the way. The video I found showed the adjustment after the steering box had been removed - not a task I wanted to take on. There was quite a bit of resistance on the screw trying to push into the steering box to tighten things up so the odd angle didn't allow me to tighten it down with my stubby screwdriver. The United States Mint saved the day. I could fit a quarter into the slotted head and beneath the hose easily enough and was able to torque it down and then follow up by tightening the nut. Slop in steering wheel remedied.

I'm learning a lot about my new car and car maintenance generally. Thanks to everyone so far for chiming in on my questions and I hope to help contribute going forward. Not sure my newbie perspective will be that helpful, but I'll give back what I can.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Glad you asked. I'm selling them for a dollar. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks delivery for your quarter. I am also selling a 1/4 sized quarter for 3/4 of a dollar. Supplies are limited so order yours now. But wait, there's more..... but I'm laughing too hard to tell you about it. Tips are appreciated here all the time. I think 25 cents would be a great tip for this tip.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
trotti:

Was that a new or an old two bit piece??? :highly_amused:

Last edited:

Healeyinflorida

Freshman Member
Country flag
I used a few searches on this forum and a YouTube video to diagnose a problem with "slop" in my steering yesterday and I had a helpful hint I thought I'd pass along. The adjusting screw on my BN6 sits on the top of the steering box on the corner closest to the headlight. It also is positioned immediately beneath the large hose. The adjusting screw is threaded top to bottom and threads into the steering box and has a nut to secure it in place once the threaded portion is snugged up. At the top of the adjusting screw is a slot that would be perfect for a screwdriver if that hose wasn't in the way. The video I found showed the adjustment after the steering box had been removed - not a task I wanted to take on. There was quite a bit of resistance on the screw trying to push into the steering box to tighten things up so the odd angle didn't allow me to tighten it down with my stubby screwdriver. The United States Mint saved the day. I could fit a quarter into the slotted head and beneath the hose easily enough and was able to torque it down and then follow up by tightening the nut. Slop in steering wheel remedied.

I'm learning a lot about my new car and car maintenance generally. Thanks to everyone so far for chiming in on my questions and I hope to help contribute going forward. Not sure my newbie perspective will be that helpful, but I'll give back what I can.
I also used a quarter but that’s not all that is needed ,remove ball joint and tie rod leaving steering lever only,then adjust screw downward until slack is gone from steering lever