• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1973 MGB....a few simple questions

mgnut1234

Freshman Member
hey guys my friend has a 1973 mgb that im trying to get ready to sell it for him to do a favor...however i want to slip in a few simple cosmetic type questions before i do something stupid...i currentley have a 53 land rover series I...so i do have a british car...but i am lacking in the MG department..lol...and i need some help from you MG guys....anyway i have a few questions...

1. the dash has a crack in it and some of it is flaking off in an area...what should i use to repair it..is there some sort of dash repair kit of sorts? or just dont bother touching it?

2. the indicator stalk/assembly is kid of floppy and does anyone now of a decent retailer for this part..i see it for like 100 bucks...silly question but also is it possible to fix? he has it rigged up with an elastic band.

3. the wheels have some rust on them..whats the best way to clean them....and get the rust off...i thought of wire wool?

4. the car is rust free..and the paint is not in that good shape...no flaking or anything but it would be nice to get some of lustre back....i think its kind of past waxing so i think maybe il just give it a handwash

5. whats a good asking price for a 1973 MGB with 55000 miles..a rebuilt engine..no rust...runs excellent...? it really is a beautiful little car

Thanks guys i appreciate the help..dont mean to just barge in but if you guys have any rovers id be glad to help you or lend a hand =)posted this for a friend
Thanks chaps! =)

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil, what happened to the spam smiley? I'm not saying I'd be using it here, I just went to look for it and couldn't find it...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mgnut1234 said:
hey guys my friend has a 1973 mgb that im trying to get ready to sell it for him to do a favor...however i want to slip in a few simple cosmetic type questions before i do something stupid...i currentley have a 53 land rover series I...so i do have a british car...but i am lacking in the MG department..lol...and i need some help from you MG guys....anyway i have a few questions...

1. the dash has a crack in it and some of it is flaking off in an area...what should i use to repair it..is there some sort of dash repair kit of sorts? or just dont bother touching it?
Bucket of worms! Leave it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] 2. the indicator stalk/assembly is kid of floppy and does anyone now of a decent retailer for this part..i see it for like 100 bucks...silly question but also is it possible to fix? he has it rigged up with an elastic band. [/QUOTE]

Depends on where it's loose. you MAY find after you remove the cover that it is missing the detent and/or pawl pieces, or it could just be the stalk has wallowed out the receiver bit of the plastic it seats in... I'd be for replacement if it's to be sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] 3. the wheels have some rust on them..whats the best way to clean them....and get the rust off...i thought of wire wool? [/QUOTE]

Disks or wires? Rostyle would be a pain to repaint. Wires can be spiffed up with #000 wire wool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]4. the car is rust free..and the paint is not in that good shape...no flaking or anything but it would be nice to get some of lustre back....i think its kind of past waxing so i think maybe il just give it a handwash [/QUOTE]

Clay bar and then wax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] 5. whats a good asking price for a 1973 MGB with 55000 miles..a rebuilt engine..no rust...runs excellent...? it really is a beautiful little car [/QUOTE]

Someone else needs to answer this'n. They vary so much in range it'd be hard to put a number on it. "Whatever the seller and buyer agree to." We've seen 'em in a range between $3K and $14K, some higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Thanks guys i appreciate the help..dont mean to just barge in but if you guys have any rovers id be glad to help you or lend a hand =)posted this for a friend
Thanks chaps! =) [/QUOTE]

We've Rover guys here as well. Welcome aboard, have a look around. Mebbe you'll find you like it here! :smile:

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Don't know where in New Hampshire you are, but if you are near the seacoast region: https://www.britbits.com/ for parts. They have some used, too.

Really it sounds like the only repair for that turn signal switch is replacement.

Agree with Doc on the dash, unless you want to replace the whole thing. That's when shipwrights disease sets in. My 74's been cracked for years, but it's a driver. For a quick flip, you'd never get back what you put into the repair, if done right, in my opinion.

Like Doc said, also, depends on the wheels. I repainted my rostyles, but it is tedious, all the masking. Came out nice in the end, though. Used Duplicolor Ford silver & Rustoleum semi gloss black. Has held up for over 20 years.

Value? Wide open without actually seeing it. At the top end of Doc's range, it better be end-of-the-world California car or similar. Bottom of his range is something like mine, a well used driver.

Hope this helps.

Colin

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Here is my take.

Lots of times these cars are sought after and bought by folks who know what they are looking for. They also recognize a "used car lot spiff up" when they see one.

Things like doing an amateur dash fix only serves to make them think that the seller is trying to hide something or is incompetent. If you feel like you must do something, the most cost effective thing to do with the dash might be to install one of those hard plastic "dash covers" if you can do it cleanly and then just be up front when you tell the buyer that the dash is cracked and that you have installed the cover. If you are going to make a mess of things just leave it alone.

Fixing the signal might be wise. It is easy, and although the cost of the switch is not insignificant, the fact that you don't have to make an excuse for something as essential as operating signals could be a plus in a sale.

The paint and wheel situations are for you to determine. If the paint is reasonably good you might want to spend the time doing the clay bar and wax routine, but if the paint is thin or has some complexion issues you might want to skip the effort and just present the car as it is. A savvy buyer will be looking right through that sort of thing anyway. Ditto the wheels.

IMHO the best thing to do is to just clean the whole car up with a "soap and water" bath, clean the engine compartment at the local spray wand wash, vacuum the interior to be as clean as possible and clean up the glass inside and out. Don't go trying to spiff up the engine with clear coat and spray bombs and down go cleaning and painting the wheels until they stand out like a sore thumb against the back drop of a few dents and a worn set of tires. Just present the car for what it is and don't try to con anyone, even if ever so slightly.

Jack

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
If it was me, I would turn that Rover into a B?
And if you dont want to acquire one of the neatest little cars for yourself, I would?:
Put a cap on the dash, like I did.
repair the signal, its easy.
pickle the rust on the wheels with a rust inhibitor after a good steel wool job.
call your local MG club and see if someone can help you with a price.
Rust? Theres usually some under the sills no matter what anyone says. Unless they have replaced them under ownership.
My opinion of course.

Newkie