• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint Job?

teeslounge

Freshman Member
Thinking of Painting my 75 6, any ideas out there what is a fair price for a high quality job? Not looking to make a show car, but a good solid shine and finish. I haven't gone to my local body shops yet, but thought I would ask you all if you had some recent numbers. We're in NY.

D

DougF

It all depends on how much you plan to have done or do yourself. Does the existing paint need stripped? Will you disassenble trim pieces or will they? Engine bay and door jambs, will they be painted? Any body work required? Color? What type of paint? The more work you do yourself will naturally reflect in the price.

duckspuddle

Is it possible to get a good result in the engine bay without removing the engine? It seems that the wiring would be the most problematic issue.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep to what Doug said, and be sure to shop around. Ask folks who've had recent work done for their input. The price here in middle Tennessee won't reflect NY prices, but I've had two (MGB and TR3) done by a small shop - both were in the $2500 range, but I got a deal. I've moved too far away from that shop, so I found another locally. We don't have a firm price yet, but it should be 500-1000 more. This is a complete job, including jambs and insides. I've removed all the trim, and pulled the engine and transmission. He's going to strip it and take out all the dings (all very minor). May not be "concours", but it will be nice. I've seen his work and am VERY pleased with what I've seen. Plus, he's not going to mind my dropping by to watch from time to time.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

G

There was a guy in New Orleans that sorta specialized in painting TR6's. He would insist on pulling the four wings to do the job right. His fee - $4000.00, a bargain by many standards because the job was done well and right. Now, apres deluge , he is no longer around. Preparation is everything on the TR6. Rust, any rust, must be removed, hence the pulling of the wings to check it all out. Short of that, it is only a paint job. Did I do that? 'Course not, but I should'a and I regret not doing a complete job. I went with a $2500 special and screwed myself by being impatient. It all depends on the abilities of the paint man. Now this is a 4K-paint-job done in a small town in Louisiana by a master craftsman. (Wish it were mine! and no that's not me. This was the class winner in our annual car show.) One of the cleanest, nicest sprays I have ever seen without it being a trailor queen.

paint.jpg

Bill

D

DougF

It is possible to paint the engine bay without pulling the engine. Everything must be pulled from the engine to allow for space. Brake lines, wiring, cables, wiper motor, radiator, etc., should all be removed. At this point, you are 3/4 of the way to pulling the engine anyway.
It would be cramped, but it can be done.

simpzimmer

Paint jobs can be summed up by "you get what you pay for."

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
$5000. basically.there is a previous discussion about this topic where a lot of information was added. when i find it i'll tell you which one.
rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
see pg 10 "new paint-enamel polyeurethane"
rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
pg 10 as of 9:16 am pacific daylight savings time. page number will obviously go up in time.
rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
thanks,never could figure that out.
rob

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
There is a shop near Rochester that does excellent work and it very reasonable. The paint job on my 6 is show quality and minus all the labor to pull the body off the frame, etc, I figured it cost me 5K. It's base clear, with the engine and trunk compartments in enamel. Let me know if you want the info, not sure how far you are from me.

Attachments

• 207438-0001.JPG
    207438-0001.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 59