• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

my new paint job

Dan76spit

hi all all winter i spent tideing up the mechanical bits and than when spring hit i decided to paint it myself. never having done this before i thought id give it a shot. bought a harbour frieght spray gun and a couple of quarts of paint and went to town. here are some pics.
bd716d444410d5044ed5386ce529f78692db0ca9_t.gif
bf3265e4724f910dd920ec463d52b0c708dc59d1_t.gif

all i have left to do is buff the clear and than finish putting the door seals and other small bits like hood snaps and outer window seal. thanks all i have to say is dont let this process scare you. DIY all the way, nothing feels better!

terriphill

Darth Vader
Awesome! Our next paint job will be a home job!! I can do as good a job as some of the guys in these body shops for 1/2 the cost! Good Job. Post pics when you get it done!

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Looks pretty good! Pics are pretty small. Think ya could post some larger ones for those of us with bad eyes?

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
whoo hoo, Well done!

prep, prep, prep. Squirting the paint is the easy part.

My problem is that I never want to let the paint "do it's thing", and I make one too many passes with the gun. <sigh> Call it a "signature".

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Excellent! I love the squirt part of the job. Makes all the hard work worth while. You Finally get the satisfaction part. It's exciting. WOW is that an eye popping colour! I like it.
I have been looking around at all the cars i see driving around and i have to say thet i would like to remove every car that is:
white,black,silver,beige or some sort of boring shade there of. Seems like 80% of all cars these days fall into this colour catagory. BORING. imho
R

OP
D

Dan76spit

im not sure how to post larger pics im trying to figure it out. As far as tips, read alot of info on it and spend alot of time prepping. Tapping and masking is easier with a extra set of hands, makes it go a little faster and easier to mask larger areas. Use a full paint system - prime, paint and clear all made by the same company. Best adhesion that way. I used all duplicolor stuff on this project. The color by the way is called hugger orange. I hung plastic on the walls of my garage and tried to clean the whole area as best as possible. I tried but I still got some specs of dust in it but not bad for DIY. I think these are bigger pics that should work. The camera makes it look like it has metal flake but it does not. Im not sure but my settings on my camera always seam to take crapy pics indoors. thanks guys...
bf3265e4724f910dd920ec463d52b0c708dc59d1.JPG

e481624c4a1dd80943aa7d9d8ffc798df0552852.JPG

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Many times the dust is on the surface before you start, use the highest quality tack rags in the store, and use a quality body shop store, and not the flaps.

time spent with the polisher in a week or two once the paint has cured a bit will make most of the dust disappear.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the larger pictures! That's a real pretty job there! Interested in doing some other peoples cars by chance?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Nice job, doing it yourself is so gratifying. I even enjoy the 1500 and 2000 grit sanding then buffing (until I cut through the paint). It is just a wonderful feeling watching the shine come through.

Just a note on dust and over spray. Often over looked by the home hobbyist car painter is the paper used to mask the car. The cheap brown paper you buy from the hardware store has a loose mill, when you hit it with a spray gun, paper fibers will detach and blow all over you paint job. Paper sold by paint suppliers are specially formulated to each task. Red paper is good for non-critical masking, Green is good for up to primer, White is used for the finish painting. Also there is now a plastic sheeting that has one side to which paint will attach, I really like this stuff. (never use the plastic drop "cloths" for masking because the over spray will not adhere to it and can be blown around, although I use it only once per shoot to create a booth).

I learned about paper the hard way and now use only the green, white and special plastic. Dust is no longer a big problem, letting me worry only about runs, holidays, fish eyes, orange peal, or not enough paint...

Here is an example of the products available from this vendor and others, including local auto paint supply houses.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-597-masking-paper-rolls.aspx

OP
D

Dan76spit

thanks about the info on paper. I did not know that. Yea the paper I bought was from The home depot. Thats a good site also very informative and helpfull. I'm not sure about painting other peoples cars just yet, I am going to paint my wifes' Jeep next. I'll post some pics after I buff it soon. thanks...

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Hugger orange, one of those fun colors that appeared on the early Z28. Others were hugger yellow, green, etc.

I painted my racing Sprite bright white, ala Group 44, with one hugger orange and one hugger yellow stripe. I thought it was purty. Was different.

Jim