• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Do It Yourself Paint job

brent615

Jedi Trainee
i'll post this in the body work section as well but I recall this being discussed here previously...and since I am a TR guy thinking about painting my car it fits.

I found a very interesting site Rolled On with some great pics of cars painted with a roller and small using a "roll and tip" technique. Worth a look if you are on a budget.

Go to "Getting Starterd", "Supplies", and "Brightside vs. Rustoleum". You'll find some good pics of an older Honda Accord and a bright yellow pick up.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And if you Google around a bit, you'll find stories of people who have tried it, only to have the paint fall off in big sheets in just a few months.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
This is a technique that does work if you follow the paint's particular instructions closely. One of the members of this forum tried it and as stated had the paint come right off. If I remember correctly he was using Interlux Brightside paint, a high quality yacht paint, but he may not have followed directions completely. This paint requires that you utilize their brand etch primer followed by their brand epoxy primekote before applying the topcoat.

T

TRDejaVu

Mine is still holding up OK after 2 driving seasons. Some people have managed to get results that stand up to very close inspection. I have reported some issues, but that was due to my poor wet sanding technique, so I am currently at the 5 foot level. Each to their own. This is not for show cars, but if you only want a driver, don't have the $$$$, but do have the time then it's worth considering.

...and that's all I've got to say about that, with apologies to Forrest Gump.

100_1863sm-1.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I did the "Brightside" roller paint job (black) on my TR3, and quite frankly it came out looking real good. But, alas, improper priming caused it to lift off. I repainted with regular automotive spray paint...again in black, and am happier with the results. As good as the roller job looked, the spray job came out so much better. It's also alot less work spraying. I spent more time turning the garage into a spray booth then I did painting and color sanding the car.

T

TRDejaVu

brent615 said:
Ian, did you use the Rustoleum? What makes it a 5-footer? Gloss? Orange peel? Did you use a primer?
Bare metal to remove surface rust, Eastwood rust converter just in case, then Rustoleum Pro with no primer. I had trouble with some places "burning through" on the wet sanding (my fault). That created some feathered edges which I can't keep invisible. When it is freshly buffed it is a "one footer", but the feathered edges come back.

I have a replacement door and trunk lid that will be swapped out (eventually) and I will roll them as well. One tip I didn't learn about until it was too late was the use of Penetrol to improve the self leveling.

I don't have the equipment to set up a spray booth, so I would be paying $$$$ I can't justify to get it done professionally. My pride says to redo it using Brightside, as that is apparently a better choice, but I don't have the time during the winter and I just love driving it in the Summer.

The before shot:
FrontLeftsm.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Ian - you are THE man. I just brought my wife over to show her the before & after pictures and she refused to believe it (of course I probably just screwed myself out a professional paint job, but hey...)

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I've experimented with the brightside paint myself but was too impatient for the roll & tip method. So I bought a couple of preval sprayers (little glass bottles topped with a spray unit) at the hardware store. The brightside topcoat can be thinned with their spraying thinner and these units work pretty well. While the spray tip could be better the brightside flows out well. The paint is a urethane base and is pretty tough.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
looks like you have a spray booth to me, that garage in the back ground, you just have to hang plastic on the walls and some how on the ceiling

OP
B

brent615

Jedi Trainee
I still can't get over the before and after!!!

Did you thin the Rustoleum with thinner/mineral spirits? if so, would you have used the penetrol in place of the thinner or in combination with the thinner?

I have a spare fender in the garage so just as soon as I get some time I am going to use that as my guinnea pig.

T

TRDejaVu

I am not trying to make out that it is something that it isn't; a showroom finish it's not. Get up closer and you can see flaws. However, some people seem to have been able to get and maintain excellent results.

I thinned with 100% mineral spirits and would add penetrol to it next time.

K

KSIS

I did this on my 74 MG. Works pretty good. The nice thing is when you get a rock chip, you granb the can of Rustolium and a q-tip.

K

KSIS

3177406_4.jpg
3177406_2.jpg
3177406_1.jpg

The car was a faded chalky white. The only recommendation I can add is a primer of light or dark based on color of choice. Because of the amount you need to thin the paint, it took several coats to cover that white. The kids had fun helping Dad paint his car in the garage.