• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

E Type Paint Job Pics

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Just got back from the body shop and my E ZType is in color. Wow, looks much better than the pics. 6 coats of single stage Dupont and still in need of curing and buff out but it is really nice looking.

Attachments

• 6087-jagpaint1.JPG
    6087-jagpaint1.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 6089-jagpaint2.JPG
    6089-jagpaint2.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 6090-jagpaint3.JPG
    6090-jagpaint3.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 6091-jagpaint4.JPG
    6091-jagpaint4.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 173

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
looks real good. Is there any paint that does not need any polishing after being sprayed? seems like an anxious time waiting for it to cure and then buffing it.

What kind of paint did the factory used?

What about these places that supposedly put the car in an oven to cure the paint?

I'm asking because I'm going to be painting my XJ-6 and want to be informed of what's out there.

I am not looking for a Show Finish, the car didn't come painted like a show car from the factory, and being a car for driving, I don't want to go through a lot of trouble and expense for a paint job. For me, the prepping is the key, that's where I'm going to spend the effort.

Ex

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
All paint needs at least a buffing, just to get the trash out. Even the best painters will have a few spots of peel, fisheye and maybe runs. The longer it cures, the harder and more durable the finish. I am not an expert on paint but have several friends who are pretty knowledgeable and the consensus has always been single stage is more durable with a deeper color and 2 stage (color coat/clear) is easier to spray but won't last as long. I'll post some more pics this week once it gets out in the daylight.

If by oven baking, you mean like Maaco, don't waste your money. The paint booth used when mine was painted was heated for drying but that only helps a little. Time is always your friend in bodywork. I would bet that the Overhaulin' cars suffer from body damage later because they don't allow for curing of the bondo and the paint, so in a year or so when it shrinks, imperfections will be very evident. Factory Paint? Why would you want to use that? It was probably Laquer, easily chipped and nowhere near as nice a finish as todays high tech offerings. As long as the color is the same.......

I just posted the pics on https://www.xkedata.com just look up car number 1E17600

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
the consensus has always been single stage is more durable with a deeper color and 2 stage (color coat/clear) is easier to spray but won't last as long.

is that so? I had a feeling about that...I never liked the clearcoat, and does anyone remember when this clearcoat thing started in the late 1970's, and all the scandals that car dealers got involved in for forcing consumers to pay extra for the clearcoat? I remember California....

TXCoyote, THAT is one bit of info. worth the weight of the letters in gold and silver! Now I know what I want: NO CLEARCOAT! I'm going to demand it. PAINT ONLY.

No, I never even considered Maaco or Earl Schrives, or any of those franchises. I suppose they do a good job repainting school buses and police cars. But not my Jaguar thank you.

And yes, I am keeping the factory color, so I will be masking many areas that I don't want repainted because the factory paint is like new. And I will disassemble and reassemble the car myself, I only trust me, myself, and I with the chrome and the nuts and screws.

So I hope I'll get a nice price for the job since I'm doing half of it.

What then is the most durable and forgiving paint available today? {"forgiving" as in "tough"}

Ex

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Here's a pic after buffing. Looks much better.

Attachments

• 6124-jagafterbuff1halfsize.JPG
    6124-jagafterbuff1halfsize.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 141
OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Exotexs said:
the consensus has always been single stage is more durable with a deeper color and 2 stage (color coat/clear) is easier to spray but won't last as long.

And yes, I am keeping the factory color, so I will be masking many areas that I don't want repainted because the factory paint is like new. And I will disassemble and reassemble the car myself, I only trust me, myself, and I with the chrome and the nuts and screws.

What then is the most durable and forgiving paint available today? {"forgiving" as in "tough"}

Ex

Ex,

I'm no expert but I'm guessting you can't mix old and new paint technologies. You'll either have to seal and respray the whole thing or try and find some of the old paint. Check with the painter. If he is worth his price he will be able to give much better advice than me. I'm just a hobbyist with limited skill.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Russ;

You may remember me from another post not too long ago: I had mentioned that I`m a Jag E-Type Lover-Big Time! I had asked what type of E-Type did you recently buy:

I just wanted to say yours looks "OUTSTANDING"!

Wish I had one! I will in the next yr or so: Series I or II Rdstr Only:

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

OP
TXCoyote

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Russ

I remember you from the TVR page. Thanks for the comments. I am finally starting to get excited about the Jag. It looks good, the painter seems to have done a really good job.

Russ

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Very Very nice /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif