• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint job Prep

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Hey everyone, its been awhile.
Anyways, I am going to be painting my car in the summer and was wondering if I should put my fenders and hood back on prior to painting the car. The hood did not fit perfect when I took it off, and I figure trying to adjust it with a nice paint job on wont be fun either.
I thought it would be easier to paint and prep the car with them off the car. I had originally removed them to replace my sills, and as you all know, you not only have to remove the windshield, but fenders also. I have gutted the interior, and I didnt want to put the new carpet and seats back in until the car was painted. What do you think?

Newkie

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Prefit everything & then take it all back off to paint.

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
Yep, paint it all seperatly, the only way to go. Tape the edge of the hood ( AFTER the paint has cured ) for the final fiddly bit of fitting the hood etc......

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Thanks...
I was going to paint the car myself, but have got an estimate on it for $1,500 from a professional who has painted quite a few MGB's just in case I go that route. I am also getting an estimate from someone that has painted alot of old cars, just not a MG. He probably will be in the $1000-$1400 range. Hows those prices sound for a good paint job? (I cant seem to find a booth that I can rent out, and I live in an area that I wont be able to do an outdoor paint job)
Also, should I go with the single stage polyurethane, or a base coat, clear coat enamel. We are talking about a base coat with 4 coats of clear over it. I am going to paint it GM's Victory Red.
Has anyone out there used that color on their car?
If so, how did it look all done.
Anyways, thanks for the advice, I will try to prefit the hood, and use tape on the hood after the paint has cured for the final fitting.

Newkie

dklawson

Yoda
$1500 for a complete paint job? I would consider that an excellent price if you've seen the painter's previous work and it looks acceptable to you. I would confirm with him/her what he will do for $1500 and what you'll need to do to prep the car.

I used PPG's DCC paint system which is a two component urethane. It's not a base/clear system but is compatible with their DUU clear top coat. I don't know which system (single stage or base/clear) is more cost effective or longer lived. I'm sure others will post their experiences.

ronzi

Newkie said:
Thanks...
I will try to prefit the hood, and use tape on the hood after the paint has cured for the final fitting.
Newkie

Take a look at the hinge arm and the hinge bracket on the hood. You should see two 1/8" holes in each. Apparently these were drilled at the factory to aid in re-aligning the hood after it has been removed. Every B I have looked at has these holes. I have a '64, and it has them, and the '78 I previously owned had them, too.
Loosely bolt the hood to the hinge, then slip appropriate-sized pins (I think I used concrete nails) in the holes, then tighten the bolts and you should be very close to perfect alignment, as long as the hood itself is not distorted.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
geez...That red paint alone is worth $300.00 per gallon...for PPG/DuPont or similar brand.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
If you plan on wetsanding the finish, make sure the painter knows it up front. That way, he can lay down enough extra film to sand some off.

PC.