• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Quick paint job

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I just purchased a driver TR3 and plan on driving it while I complete a body off restoration of my other TR3. The paint on the one I just purchased has crack lines all over it and it appears to have 3 different coats/colors of paint. I know this isn't the correct way to do this, but I just purchased this to drive, till I finish my other car. Could anyone tell me is there any way to easily remove the crack lines in the paint before I give it a quick paint job so it will look at least presentable. I don't want to sand blast it or anything, I'm just looking for the easiest way to remove the crack line. So far I've tried sanding and wet sanding. Is it possible to use heavy primer and wet sand that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

pei

It sounds like lacquer cold checking. I had the same on my GT6.There is no real cure except stripping. If the cracks are just in the outer layer of paint, you can power sand the affected areas and then prime, block sand and recoat. Make sure to get a primer that will not react with the lacquer.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Haven't messed with painting for a long time, but I think with three color coats already you'd be better off with a good sand job to remove at least the topcoat a follow with a primer sealer coat.

You might avoid all the sanding with a high build primer sealer for a quick and dirty repaint, but I'm not sure that will stop the original problem of more cracking especially with 4 color coats.

Randy

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
It might be lacquer paint. It is just the top coat. I'm going to the paint supply house tomorrow and ask about that high build primer sealer. I appreciate the replies and I'll let you know what I decide to do. As I mentioned this will be just a driver for the time being. I do plan on redoing the body the correct way down the road, but for now, I just want to drive it for the summer.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Using a high build primer may hide the crack for awhile but they will probably come back as the paint ages & hardens.

You might inquire at your local Maaco/One-Day/Earl Scheib as to what it would cost to have them strip and respray.

When I was a poor kid in 1972 I had my TR3 painted by Earl (about $29 IIRC) and got more compliments on that respray than any since. Probably only looked good for a couple of years but might work for you.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Are you painting and preparing it yourself or having it done?

If you are doing it your self and the cracks are deep you could - carefully - use a mechanical device (I prefer an angle grinder with a 3M paint removing wheel) to dig out the scratch and then fill with filler until it is smooth. You probably want to get the crack and a slight margin on either side.

Easy, fast but not going to win any prizes.

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
The Maaco respray sounds interesting, but I have a gallon of Metallic Blue from an older project and would prefer to spray it myself. I going to try and include a picture of the cracking, but in the past this site doesn't seem to upload my pictures. Hopefully this time it will work.

Attachments

• 217724-REDTR3A038.jpg
    217724-REDTR3A038.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 61
D

DougF

My TR3 when purchased had 22,700 miles on the clock. The paint was crazed just like yours. I pulled the car off the road last summer after restoring my TR6 and then taking a couple year breather. I enjoyed the TR3 for 11 years before making the decision to paint.
There is no quick cure for your paint problem. You have to strip it to bare metal to do it correctly. Otherwise, you are throwing good money at bad.
Enjoy this car until you get your other on the road. Then make the decision on what you want to do with it.
You will spend a lot of time on this paint that could otherwise be used on your current project. When painted, you will still have a car that will probably be a restoration project not too far down the road.
People in our club seem to spend more time gawking at unrestored cars than the frame offs. Your just don't see many of them anymore.

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
DougF
Driving it is what I plan on doing. The previous owner spent tons of money on the mechanical restoration of this TR and finally ran out of time, money and desire to finish the body, so the car runs like new (well almost). Anyways, I would like to make it look a little presentable, if possible. As long as the attachments uploaded, I'll add several more pictures, so you can see the body condition.

Attachments

• 217783-REDTR3A044.jpg
    217783-REDTR3A044.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 66
D

DougF

I can understand the desire to have it looking great. My main point is that once this car is stripped, primed, painted and put back together, you could be looking at missing 1 or more driving seasons depending on your schedule. There are always gremlins lurking underneath. I'm sure you learned long ago that nothing is easy on these cars.