• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinion Wire Wheels Vs. Minilite Style Knock Offs

PeterB

Country flag
I am looking for opinions on 60 Spoke Wire Wheels Vs. Minilite Style Knock Offs. 1 consideration I have for Minilites over Wire Wheels is I live in western Maine and the is nobody I can find close to me that will touch wire wheels for trueing, mounting, and balancing.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No doubt the minilites will be easier to mount, clean and maintain. It really beomes a question of whether you like the looks of wire wheels better than the minilites and are willing to pay the extra cost to have them. Allen Hendrix https://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/ will sell you a nice package all mounted, trued, shaved and balanced and deliver them to your door. Personally, I chose the 72 spokes, a worthwhile upgrade if you're buying new wheels. Closer to home, in Auburn, MA, this place could take care of your mounting and balancing needs: https://www.wheelrepairservice.com/

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Agree with Rick regarding the choice between the two. It's really a matter of personal preference. As for getting them mounted and balanced, I've found that most tire stores (at least around here) are willing to mount and balance them. What they won't do is take them off the car or put them back on the car. The liability issues with knock-offs are just too complicated.

The other problem you may run in to is that some wire wheels won't fit on modern spin balance machines. I had to modify an old hub to use on the spin balancer to get this done. Basically, I just had a machine shop take out the center of octagonal knockoff nut and also machine the surfaces of the hub that sit on the spin balancer. It took a few trips between the tire shop and the machine shop to get it right, but fortunately both places were willing to work with me on it. Here's a blurry photo of it.
20130808_094800.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would go with wire wheels. Interestingly Minilites were never used on any Austin Healey works car except the very last Rally car which was prepared to run in the 1968 Tour of Britain rally. It was entered as a prototype because it had an all aluminium engine, however the rally was cancelled due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease. The car still exists and was performing at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last month although the aluminium engine isn't currently in the car

Country flag
Undeniably, the wire wheels look better, and they can very easily have tires mounted on them by hand. I was already then >55 (and relatively small in stature) and I didn't break a sweat. Only problem I had was not being able to get two (2) of the five (5) to seat the beads, my compressor just not proding the volume of air required (local tire shop filled them up and the beads immediately sealed for them, of course. No cost, btw).

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7587.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Randy,
Bet you'll miss that snow in the picture from the Ohio home !
Regards,
Mike

PS -Peter, as all have said it's a personal decision as to what looks good to you but if at all possible, I would stick with wire wheels. Just can't beat the looks and that's what the factory used.

RandyHicks

We tour extensively in our BJ8, 4 trip across US in last 5 years. After 2 flats with wire wheels and not being able to find someone that would fix a tube tire on a wire wheel, changing by hand so as to have a spare, i went to the minilites on the BJ8. Alan Hendrix has done wires for all my cars and he is great but if you do any kind of long distance touring, I'd recommend the minilite knockoffs. I feel they are more stable at speed as well and stay ROUND! :smile:

Country flag
Hey Randy,
Bet you'll miss that snow in the picture from the Ohio home !
Regards,
Mike

PS -Peter, as all have said it's a personal decision as to what looks good to you but if at all possible, I would stick with wire wheels. Just can't beat the looks and that's what the factory used.
Hasn't happened yet, but I am looking forward to missing it again this winter!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Undeniably, the wire wheels look better, and they can very easily have tires mounted on them by hand. I was already then >55 (and relatively small in stature) and I didn't break a sweat. Only problem I had was not being able to get two (2) of the five (5) to seat the beads, my compressor just not proding the volume of air required (local tire shop filled them up and the beads immediately sealed for them, of course. No cost, btw

I'm running tubeless 70-spokers -- is there any special equipment or expertise or info necessary to have with me on the road so I could have a "normal" tire place remove the tire and do a good job of fixing the flat vs inserting a plug and maybe ruining the tire?

ahealey1004

I'm partial to minilites as the practical choice, as others have mentioned they are more serviceable on road trips. And they look good too, as demonstrated in this pic of my favorite Healey.

7-5-10 AH rendesvouz, Payson soccer tourney 106.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm partial to minilites as the practical choice, as others have mentioned they are more serviceable on road trips. And they look good too, as demonstrated in this pic of my favorite Healey.

View attachment 28564

Talk about a Healey I wouldn't want to meet at night in a dark alley:

2nu22o0.jpg

Is that the old Syd Seagal car or is it something else?

ahealey1004

hi Rick- yes that's the ex-Syd Segal/ John Gott car known as ABL6, taken in Oregon @2010, when Bill Bolton still owned it. I believe Steve Pike now has it in Australia. I have been in love with this car ever since I first saw it in Bill's garage back in the 80's.

Country flag
I'm running tubeless 70-spokers -- is there any special equipment or expertise or info necessary to have with me on the road so I could have a "normal" tire place remove the tire and do a good job of fixing the flat vs inserting a plug and maybe ruining the tire?

A tire shop should have no problem with tubeless wires. You might ask them to be extra careful so as not to break the seal.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Segal car was purchased by a Swedish chap who races it. It is no longer in the modsports format. The car raced at Castle Coombe in the all Healey race last year. I don't think the wheels on Syd's car were Minilites.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here is a photo of the ex-Segal car at Castle Coombe and its wearing Minilites! The cars were allowed to race with Minilites as this race was not under FIA rules. In most of the big FIA Classic races such as Spa and Le Mans the cars have to run to FIA appendix K regs which means they must have wire wheels.

Attachments

• compress.JPG
    compress.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 119
Country flag
The Segal car was purchased by a Swedish chap who races it. It is no longer in the modsports format. The car raced at Castle Coombe in the all Healey race last year. I don't think the wheels on Syd's car were Minilites.
Didn't they use Wolfrace brand wheels? I can remember lots of coverage of those cars in Healey Highlights* back around the late 70s. In fact, the shop I was working at, Austin Healey West, used the Mod-Sports Healeys in their ad copy in HH issues.

* Healey Highlights was the monthly newsletter of the Austin Healey Club Pacific Centre

OP
P

PeterB

Country flag
We tour extensively in our BJ8, 4 trip across US in last 5 years. After 2 flats with wire wheels and not being able to find someone that would fix a tube tire on a wire wheel, changing by hand so as to have a spare, i went to the minilites on the BJ8. Alan Hendrix has done wires for all my cars and he is great but if you do any kind of long distance touring, I'd recommend the minilite knockoffs. I feel they are more stable at speed as well and stay ROUND! :smile:

Randy, just curious what type of tire and size are you running with those minilites?

Thanks,
Pete