• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 opinion wanted

bfitz

Country flag
Hi. Restoring my 1960 TR3 and am curious about wheels. Are the repro wires any good? Are wires in general worth the hassle? Anybody try those Mini Lite mags? They look kind of cool..... Car's been in the family for 30 yrs...last driven in 1976 by my oldest brother...now I'm putting it back together. Thanks...B

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know how qualified I am to speak to the quality of the current reproduction wire wheels, but both my cars have wire wheels. I believe the ones on my TR4 are Dunlop wheels as sold through Moss. I don't know about my Sprite's wheels. I don't know how old either set is either, but I've had zero problems with them, and they seem to be holding up well. I do drive the cars rather conservatively.

They're a little bit of a hassle to clean thoroughly. I usually just spray on some wheel cleaner, then brush them a little and rinse. That keeps them clean enough for me (I know a lot of guys spend a lot more time on theirs with little bits of rags and such). I also periodically check for loose spokes, but thus far, that hasn't been a problem.

I really like the convenience of the knock-offs. It's much easier to hammer off one big nut than wrench off 4 little ones. Plus they look cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

It's a tough question. Wire wheels look great!

The TR3 came with either 48 or 60 spoke wheels, didn't it? If I were considering wire wheels, I'd prefer the later 72 spoke (TR6), just for the strength. These are wider, too. The 60s were a little wider than the 48s, too. All the wire wheels tend to be narrower than the steel wheels used on the cars at the same time period, though. It might be tricky to find good fitting tires for the narrowest wire wheels.

I have the Panasport copies of the Minilite wheels you mention and I really like them on my TR4! IMHO, they look great on TR3s, too. There are both bolt-on and center-lock versions of these wheels, so you can enjoy the knockoffs, or not, your choice. The knock-off versions and their hubs are significantly heavier. But, they do look great!

Unsprung weight really effects handling. Aside from the solid rear axle housing, the largest contributors to that on these cars are the wheels. Bolt-on Minilite or Panasport are the lightest, unless you track down some magnesium wheels (rarer and older, used ones need careful checking for cracks). Next heaviest are the stock steel wheels. The heaviest of all are the 60 and 72 spoke wire wheels, especially after the necessary hub adapters are added.

Wire wheels with their adaptors do make for a slightly wider track both front and rear, which is good for handling. Of course, the same can be achieved with some wheel spacers behind any bolt-on wheel, if the wheel well allows enough room.

If originality is an issue, silver painted spoke wheels were usually fitted, weren't they? Chrome spokes were not generally offered?

I've heard really good things about Dayton wheels, in particular. They are now being made overseas (India maybe), but quality control is said to still be at a high standard. I must say, though, I've not had any personal experience with these wheels other than admiring them on other folks' cars. As a rule, I believe the Dayton wheels seldom need truing when new (but should probably be checked anyway, just in case) and hold their true for longer than most. Most other brands require truing before initial use and should be checked with some frequency by someone who is familiar with wire wheels.

The Panasports I'm using are reportedly extremely strong, too. Since they closely mimic the Minilites, I'd assume those are too. The Panasports are very popular with vintage racers and I haven't ever heard of one failing.

Enjoy your TR3!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
For me the older cars look far far better in wires than anything else.

Bruce

V

vagt6

I vote for wire wheels all the way. Nothing looks better on a TR3 than wires, they exude class and style.

The 72 spoke wheels may be a bit of overkill on a TR-3, the 48 spoke wheels are used by folks with V/8 engines in LBCs and are quite adequate for V/8 power. I'd hate to clean 72 spoke wheels!

Good luck with your decision, let us know.

Cheers!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I have the Minilite repros on my TR3 and love the way they look - very aggressive. Have had lots of compliments on them.

Regarding the 48 vs. 60 spoke, if I'm not mistaken, only the 48 spoke wires were available for TR3's. 60's are stronger, as are 72's, but I think they were not around, if you're going for originality.

Mickey

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I agree with all of the above, I like wires and Minilites!
My Tr4a has 2 sets of wire wheels, original 60 spoke, which are 4.5 inches in width compared with the pressed steel, which were 4 inches, 48 spoke is original for your TR3.
The other set is 72 spoke for racing, they are very strong and survived spins at 80 mph and at 70mph with no problem. I think they were from MSW in Britain, possibly made in India, one had to be exchanged for excessive runout when new, no problems in 8 years.
I don't personally like the look of chrome wires,(the spokes are usually polished stainless steel because the chroming process weakens the spokes by hydrogen embrittlement), because they look like cheap flashy costume jewellry to me.
In terms of weight, my 60 spoke wheels with 165/15 tires weigh 32 pounds complete with inner tubes, the 5.5 inch wide 72 spoke wheels with 205/50/15 tires and tubes weigh 43 pounds each, but they are 2 inches smaller diameter so rotational mass not such a big issue and lower gearing improves acceleration.
I think for road use I'd go with 60 spoke 5 inch rims and maybe 175/70 or 185/65 tires, I also like red or green cars with the spoke wheels painted white.
Sorry the post is so long!
Simon.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Painted wires look better than anything else. I like the 48 spoke wheels best. Wouldn't use 72s unless I was racing, and then would use Panasports.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I like my wires and have put on a lot of miles on the set I have. They are the chrome daytons with the stainless spokes. Every 20k or so I get out my spoke wrench and snug up a few, there will be only a few that need a turn or so, and getting hands on with your TR is just good for the soul......
MD(mad dog)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I prefer the wires -- have the India-made Dunlops from Moss, no problems so far but have only had them for 5 years or so.

The company who sells Dayton bad mouths the Dunlops but I have not seen anything to back that up. Mine seem true and well made.

My choice was the 60-spoke painted just because they (and the 48-spoke) looked the most period correct and (IMO) the 48s are not really strong enough for daily driving.

I use a 6mm wheel spacer to retain the longer studs and allow me to switch to disc wheels and use the wires on the TR4 from time to time. Maybe next car show I'll mount wires on one side and discs on the other and see if anyone notices!

Pic of TR3A in 60-spoke painted --

https://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/final5.JPG

OP
bfitz

bfitz

Country flag
thanks for the help guys...my main concern is durability, but it sounds like it comes down to looks.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just as infomation, got a Christmas update from the Roadster Factory and the wire wheels will be going up $40 apeice as of Jan 16th. Price of steel or something, always a reason, so get them now folks. Wayne

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
A few more points on wheels:
Wire wheels were specified when a TR3 would be used for racing/competition. The stock steel wheels are very flexible, and tend to bend/break under performance conditions. In addition, 60-spoke wheels were the wheels of choice for racing, as they were stronger than the 48-spoke.

It's easier to find modern tires for steel wheels, but you can still find plenty of tires for the wires.

As for painted vs. chrome -- the factory did not offer chrome wires, just painted, because the chroming process weakened the spokes. In America, some TR dealers did offer chromed wire wheels, but it was more for people who wanted to drive slow and look good.

I've owned 2 TR3s, one with steel wheels, one with wires. I prefer the look of wires, and maintaining them is simple, because if trued correctly, they'll last a very long time.

But it comes down to personal taste.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...It's easier to find modern tires for steel wheels, but you can still find plenty of tires for the wires...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always used the same tire size regardless of which wheel (165R15). Is there another size available that would suit the steel wheel?