• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Painting Opinion

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Guys! I'm in the process of rebuilding a 71 B, not going to make it stock (sorry purists) but I want to fix it up the way I want the car. I'm taking out the bolstered dash and putting in a 67 metal dash (I can hear you screaming now). I'd like your opinion on something regarding the dash... Would you have the metal dash sprayed with the flat black wrinkle paint or do you think that painting the dash the body color would look good?

I'm thinking of painting the car either Infinity Light gray metalic or BMW gun metal. Either way I'm probably going to also have 2 racing strips running down the middle of the car in a color that is a shade darker than the body. Sort of New Shelby look. What are your opinions?

Thanks for your thoughts and please BE GENTLE!

69MGC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I like your choice of colors. When I paint mine this summer I'm thinking along the same lines but slightly darker without the stripes.

How about the dash the same color as the stripes with the flat black around the instruments.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I like the black crinkle dash. Do you know you will have to modify the cowl and bracing to make it work? It's not plug in and play. I think you also have to modify the '71 to take the earlier steering column. Tony Barnhill has a write up on his site about the conversion.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
What color interior? I think the black crinkle would look very nice, with black interior.

But then again, it's your car, and you said you're fixing it up the way you want it. Whatever you like will be perfect.

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the input. I like your idea regarding the lighter color dash.

Kev

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks John. The interior will be Black. I'm putting in Black cloth Miata seats with black carpet. I'm changing out the black plastic interior handles with all chrome ones.

Kev

OP
69MGC

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I figured I would have some mods to make to the cowl to make the earlier model fit. I'll check out the post you mentioned.

Wish me luck.
Thanks
Kev

Steve_S

Yoda
The early dash is an attractive unit, but it's a huge project. Have you considered removing the padded dash cover and refinishing the metal underneath? I've seen some really nice versions of this type of dash. There are a few on my web site HERE.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
I have never seen a metal dash in an MGB. Is it possible to "metal turn", if that's the word, (that's where you use a special wire brush in a drill press and make uniform swirls all over the dash. Lots of hotrods used to have dashes like that. Beautiful!

Guinn

Guinn

em754

I dont think you can beat the clean line of a metal dash with a new coat of wrinkle finish paint, but we all have different tastes, whatever takes your fancy

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'm thinking (from years of looking at custom paint jobs and noticing subtle touches) that if you ditch the vinyl pad and go with a painted metal dash... I'd paint the dash the same color as the car AND have the racing stripes carry over onto the dash. I'd do it in such a way that the stripes would look continuous going from the hood, under the windshield and wrapping around to under the dash. Then at the back have the stripes start on the rear bulk head, wrap up and over the trunk lid, and under the rear roll pan. Of course the finishing touch would be to have the racing stripes duplicated inside the trunk, the underside of the trunk lid, the underside of the hood, and on the firewall.

The thing with graphics/stripes, to me anyways, is that if they don't follow through into the door jams, under the hood, etc. then it's similar to painting a car but only painting the outside. For example, painting a red car white but not doing the door jams stands out like a sore thumb. If I were to do it to my car, I'd make sure it carries over to every visible painted surface on the car. Seeing a car with a dash painted the same color as the car, but the stripes stopping at the bottom of the wind shield is kind of like a let down for me.

Radford

Jedi Knight
Nunyas,

Well if you'd go to all that trouble then why not get the seats and carpets done up to continue the line. And don't forget the top.

dklawson

Yoda
If you go with the wrinkle finish, be sure to leave a rough sanded surface treated with phosphoric acid etching before you apply the paint. Wrinkle finish doesn't adhere very well to bare steel. If you've never worked with it, pay particular close attention to the instructions on the can, take no shortcuts, and make sure the temperature range is where they say it should be. If you don't wait the right time between coats and/or the temperature is wrong you could end up with nothing more than a partially wrinkled satin finish. BTW, wrinkle paint stays SOFT and is easily damaged unless you leave it in a very warm place for a long time. Be careful not to damage your work.