• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel painting frustration

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've tried to paint a wheel a couple times without success. The issue that i have is the paint lays down nicely on the horizontal surfaces, but it stands up (for lack of a better word) on the vertical surfaces. I have tried rustoleum metallic paint and the pic below is duplicolor wheel paint.

It looks like to me that it is drying to fast. Any thoughts???

wheelpaint.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David, on the Duplicolor are you priming and then top coating? If so, wait about 10 min after you prime before you top coat. If you wait too long the surface will look like that and then you need to wait 7 days if you miss your 'window'.
Rut

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Drying before it hits the surface. You're too far away or it's too hot. My .02.

If it lays down shiny and then does that, it's another problem.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
David is in Dallas, Current Temp is 92 degrees @ 2:00 PM. How about chilling the paint in an ice bath before painting to get it down to say 70 degrees. Would that help? Painting in an air conditioned space.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Chill the wheel in the freezer?

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No primer. Duplicolor wheel paint does not require primer.

Steve confirmed my suspicions. I will try a cooler time of the day OR maybe mix my own paint and use a preval sprayer. Rustoleum aluminum paint thinned with mineral spirits for slow drying.

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David,
Although Duplicolor does not require a primer I use the self etching primer followed by the top coat. I'm at 90+* and 80% humidity and have not experienced any problems. The Rustoleum dries really slow and I used some semi gloss black on outboard steering arms 2 weeks ago in Orange Beach, same weather conditions and it did great. About 4 hrs to dry to the touch and 24 hrs to 'cure' and really durable.
Rut

G

Agreed, cooler time, closer and slower. The metalics seem to dry quicker on the way to the piece.

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David,
Although Duplicolor does not require a primer I use the self etching primer followed by the top coat. I'm at 90+* and 80% humidity and have not experienced any problems. The Rustoleum dries really slow and I used some semi gloss black on outboard steering arms 2 weeks ago in Orange Beach, same weather conditions and it did great. About 4 hrs to dry to the touch and 24 hrs to 'cure' and really durable.
Rut

Normal rustoleum dries slow, and that's what I'm used to. Rustoleum metallic is a different formula, and dries very fast. Same with the duplicolor wheel paint. After the wheel i painted today dried, I noticed a lot of the "fuzzy stuff" rubs off which validates the theory that it is drying before it hits the wheel.

I have another wheel prepped that I will store inside tonight along with the paint, then shoot it in the morning before it gets hot.

I like Jim's idea of putting the wheel in the freezer or fridge, but i'm afraid of condensate (and my wife :wink-new: ).

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your looking for original....Not any silver's out there that are "short" on the metallic like OEM... Moss's is as close as possible in my experience...

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David, you wife will love this. I used a cardboard box as a paint booth in the house...once.
Rut

OP
D

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David, you wife will love this. I used a cardboard box as a paint booth in the house...once.
Rut

I have done that ONCE also....

Have to agree with bug60-Moss paint is expensive but a quality product. As is Eastwood.

I already bought a couple cans of duplicolor, if it does not work tomorrow under better conditions, I will order from Moss or eastwood

I have always hand painted my wheels. The Rolls Royce way ;)

I did that as one of my iterations on these wheels, I suck at brush painting. But i am now very good at stripping paint.

G

Rut

I shot something in the laundry room once and she had a headache for a week. I also accidentally shot a hole in the ceiling but she doesn't know about that. :wink:

dklawson

Yoda
Fortunately for me, my wife has always tolerated thing like carburetors in the sink or parts baking in the oven. Of course... I do the cooking and often the parts are for her car.