• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinion on tranny oil leak

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello:

Started my install of seat belts on my 250 today, since it's raining Again! (19" May-June).

Anyway started with pulling the seats & vacuming the crud on the floors, so while I was at it though I'd clean the floors & throw a coat of rustoleum for prventive maintenance.

So I pulled off the tranny cover, what's left of it to check the level I see the oil stain in the attached photo.

Looks like fom top cover near reverse light switch.

Opinion please as what needs to be replaced. Could be 30 yrs of leak as I have never been under the cover.

Don't want to let shipwrights disease take over!

Thanks.

p.s. guess what color the car was orig, green...

Attachments

• 227320-TR250Interior001.jpg
    227320-TR250Interior001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 131

GuyShark

Looks like oil/grease that has dripped down from the shifter.

Maybe, years ago, somebody was having trouble shifting, so they dumped a bunch of grease into the shifter to loosen it up? That is what is left of that idea.

D

Deleted member 3577

You call that a leak?......

A leak is when people following you spin off into the weeds.

What ya got there is patina /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
A "minor" British car leak is when the guy following you needs his wipers on a sunny day.

G

Oil Good - Rust Bad

Ya might want to start sanding on that floorboard a little before the rust starts to poke holes, or is my eyesight that bad....
I let mine go too long and now have a new set of Heritage floorboards sitting against the wall in my garage, calling me to install them. Speaking of Shipwrights Disease, that's why the captain always goes down with his ship, it is indeed a disease.....

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You also might want to consider POR15 instead of Rustoleum. Much, much better rust stopper. You can't believe how hard that stuff is when it drys. I'm going to do my entire frame this summer and then paint it with their black finish.

https://www.por15.com/

G

A little pointer on using POR-15 and related products. If the surface has any oil or oily residue on it, POR-15 might give you a false sense of security. I POR-15ed the front halve of my frame with the engine out and body on and thought I had it clean. Apparently not clean enough. I have it coming off in sheets now. I did the rear of my frame with Eastwood's frame paint (much oilier area) and it still looks good. Epoxy-based products can be finicky and difficult to use. I feel they can give you a false sense of security, thinking you have a bullet proof product and not necessarily so. The same thing happened to my floorboards on the inside. Peeled the finish off, literally, and went back with Eastwood. May have been me and my sloppy technique but I have had others complain. What do you think, Paul?

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I agree about the surface preparation, or lack thereof. I posted the site so that anyone can see the product and their recommended cleaners as well. What's on the top is only as good as what's on the bottom.

I plan to use the marine cleaner and then the etcher to prep the metal just like Eric did to my engine before any finish is applied.

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks all:

I'm not overly concerned about the leak, nothing compared to my '73 Series Rover tranny & transfercase & overdrive. The only spot the chassis wasn't rusted was around the tranny! I start worrying when I think the EPA is on to me!!

I will take a look at the link to the top cover rebuild. I'm afraid I"ll be tempted to throw in the extra tranny I have sitting in my shop as the current one has some "issues" on the downshift to 2nd.