• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine opinion

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful
Hey all,

Quick question. I have a 62 Mk2 with the original 948. The engine has about 36k on it originally but hasn't been run since early 70's. It's now disassembled. My choices are to 1. rebuild the 948 2. get a 1098/1275 that's already rebuilt or can be rebuilt. What do you all think is the better option. I'd rather not have to do too many mods to accomodate a different engine, but I don't really know what it takes to do a swap. A few extra horses would be nice though. After rebuilding the 948(it's parts seem to be a bit pricey), it'd probably be cheaper to but a rebuilt 1275 tho. Any opinions here??? How hard is the swap???

Thanks much!1

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stick it in along with a ribcase transmission. Just about the same in all respects except internely and carbs and exhaust manifold.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
it depends on how pure you want to keep the car. if you're going to do the work to rebuild or replace the engine and you're not concerned about pedegree, then i would move up to the 1275. i am rebuilding a 67 sprite and have a 65 in the wings with a 1098. when and if i get to the 65 i will probably move to a 1275. the changes required for each engine are minimal.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
If you upgrade to a 1275 you need to also consider changing the rear axle ratio unless you just enjoy shifting gears every few seconds. One of the most fun cars I owned was a bugeye with a 1275 and a 4.22 rear gear.

Alan T

zimmy

Jedi Knight
theres a hhhhuuuuuggggeee discussion on this subject already going started by Drooartz...im sure its not far down the list...zzimmmmy

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only consideration it changes you vehicle to something other than stock.

Engine and tranny drop right in. Very few changes to only a few parts and they are all available including transmission ones.

It can easly double or even triple the HP. Double for road use and triple for wild. We talking 42 for stock 948, 80 for mild 1275 and 130 about tops for wild 1297.

So what is your poison?

Think about an 80 HP 1275 would be great for fun on the road and of course the transmission is a much better unit. Only an expert would be able to tell the difference in engines.

OP
Z

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful
hey all,

Thanks for all of the replys. Seeing that it seems like a drop in type of switch, I'll probably try and find an already together 1275 and use/rebuild it. The 948 I have will need to be totally rebuilt, etc. I think it'd be easier in the long run to get a 1275 and ribcase tranny. What else will I need other than the engine/tranny? There is a local guy near me who specializes in British cars and has a ton of stuff lying around. He's probably got some stuff I can buy off of him.

Thanks - Drew(yep..another one!!)

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As far as I know, you'll need an electronic fuel pump, but that should be about it. Carbs off the 1275 of course, but the other ancillaries should work--generator, distributor, etc. Smarter minds than me will chime in, I'm sure. I hope so, 'cause I'm curious as well.

Always nice to have another Drew around (course, I'm an Andrew, but who's counting).

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the pushrod for the clutch slave cylinder needs to be a 1/4 inch longer as well. Hehe, big deal.

The trick of course is to find a complete engine and transmission with all the bits.