• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Engine Misses Only at 2200 rpm

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
My recently rebuilt TR4A has been running great. I have a new coil, new distributor, points, carbs--near everything. Over the past two weeks, however, a strange thing started happening. The engine misses rather badly at 2200 rpms. It's fine lower and higher. Regardless of which gear I'm in, the engine misses at 2200 rpms until I go slower or faster. On some occasions there is no missing at 2200 rpms, but most of the time there is missing at that point.

I don't know enough about coils or condensers to say they are likely culprits, and I can't imagine the issue is plug wires or plugs. I'll check the point gap assuming that's a possibility, but that also seems unlikely.

I hope it has nothing to do with vibration or balance, as that would seem to be a rabbit hole. I also don't see how timing could be implicated. I checked that after rebuild and I was good on that score.

Any thoughts out there?

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I’m grasping at straws here - smarter folks will chime in: could your distributor advance be “sticking”? Below 2200 rpm it runs ok without, and some point above 2200 the vacuum is strong enough to overcome the resistance?

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I’m using a Moss “Race” distributor that I believe has a limited advance. I'm uncertain whether that could be a part of the problem.

Last edited:
OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
That sounds promising. I’ll pull the filters and take a look. Amazingly (or not) my new SUs really required a lot of polishing and careful fastening to avoid sticking on first instal.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I take out the brass piston filler plugs when doing a drop test. Does your racing distributor have the micro adjust for fine tuning the timing? I have seen coils that miss at a specific spot

steve

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You think it's the coil ?
Then here's the test.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
That test in the Moss video is largely useless. You often can get a good spark in air, but not in the high pressure of the cylinder where the breakdown field is much higher. Furthermore, it's normally not possible to come up with a test that identifies a bad coil, as the coil usually seems fine at low voltages but arcs internally, or has some other problem, that shows up only at high voltages. Finally, if you try this, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE METAL PARTS! There will be 150-250V on the primary. The guy in the video, who seemed to be touching the alligator clip, didn't get the shock of his life, only because he wasn't touching the cylinder head simultaneously.

The only definitive way to test a coil is by direct replacement with a known good unit.

That said, I doubt it's the coil. I agree that it's something like the carb piston or maybe the advance mechanism, which could malfunction at a specific speed. If the problem occurred at 2200 RPM and higher, the coil would be somewhat more likely.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Over the years I've had spark plugs that miss-fired under compression. Just saying. PJ

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I’m really only misfiring at 2200. I’m going to check those carb pistons first. Then, I have a new coil I’ll try. I’ll report back. I’ll get this figured out. And I’ll check the plugs while I’m at it.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Following up, I removed and inspected my HS6 SU carbs and found that the piston in the rear carb was sticking in the housing. The carbs are new, so I was quite surprised. It seems that the manufacturing was a bit "off," to say the least. I had to rub and polish the inside of the housing. About ten times, each time noting where the abrasions were occurring. I finally got it. Piston moves freely up and down. I wonder if the heat from operating over the past few months caused some expansion or warping of the metal. Whatever the case, I'm no longer sputtering at 2200 rpms. The call that the issue was probably the "carbs" sure seems right on. I'm now running smooth. Great again. Such fun cars.